The Student Room Group

RIP Jeremy Kyle

Scroll to see replies

Ridiculous. The show has been on the air for 14 years, surely people know what it's all about by now? You've got to be prepared to be made a fool of, and it seems like the contestants genuinely don't care, they get paid to be on the show and they get their 15 minutes of fame.
Where was the outrage when two Love Island contestants committed suicide and why is it still on the air? There was none, presumably because these people were young, successful and beautiful and you know, green-eyed monster and all that...
Original post by the bear
maybe the show could be changed so that Middle-Class people were featured instead:

"Sister in law laughed at my Quinoa Sourdough"

"Neighbour is spying on our croquet lawn"

"Au pair says my husband asked her for Tantric Sex"

:holmes:

Yes because we already have a show for mocking the upper classes, Made in Chelsea, so it seems only fair to have one for the Middles.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Ridiculous. The show has been on the air for 14 years, surely people know what it's all about by now? You've got to be prepared to be made a fool of, and it seems like the contestants genuinely don't care, they get paid to be on the show and they get their 15 minutes of fame.
Where was the outrage when two Love Island contestants committed suicide and why is it still on the air? There was none, presumably because these people were young, successful and beautiful and you know, green-eyed monster and all that...

I suppose the justification for Love Island is that it puts the beautiful on trial and as people generally dislike the good looking, it works. Probably we need more rights for the attractive, as they suffer so much from prejudice.
Original post by the bear
you might as well cancel Prime Minister's Questions while you're at it dear.

a poor bewildered pensioner is tormented by working class bullies for public amusement

smh

And to think most of her mates are plotting against her as well. Call social services. Looks like some gang are cuckooing the House.
Good riddance. It's a horrible show.

ITV themselves aren't going to bring up Love Island cause it's their biggest cash cow right now. Jeremy Kyle was expendable: It's been on for 14 years after all: format was stale and I doubt that daytime slot is even all that lucrative.

Everybody else just probably isn't taking a lot of notice outside of us angry internet people.

Agreed. ITV knew what they were airing, so why didn't they stop it a long time back if they had that much of an issue with it?
I feel bad for Jeremy Kyle himself though. He's a good presenter, regardless of whether his show was good or not. :frown:
Agreed; Jeremy Kyle is by far the worst and most well known offender but this problem isn't limited to Jeremy Kyle alone. That being said; I'm glad it's axed, it's just schadenfreude at it's most public
Original post by LeapingLucy
It's not just the Jeremy Kyle show, though, is it?

Public humiliation of vulnerable people has been a key element of our entertainment system for years. X Factor encourages people who aren't very bright and don't realise they can't sing to audition, so everyone can laugh at them for being so deluded.

And Love Island has led to at least 2 suicides.

I agree that it's a good thing that Jeremy Kyle is finally off air. But I also think we need to recognise that it doesn't stop with him.
Original post by RazzzBerries
Agreed. ITV knew what they were airing, so why didn't they stop it a long time back if they had that much of an issue with it?
I feel bad for Jeremy Kyle himself though. He's a good presenter, regardless of whether his show was good or not. :frown:

They didn't stop it because it was making plenty of money.

Kyle's skill is being a thoroughly nasty ****-stirrer whilst at the same time appearing to be fair and friendly.

He should perhaps consider going into politics now.
Kyle for PM!!!! :tongue:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They didn't stop it because it was making plenty of money.

Kyle's skill is being a thoroughly nasty ****-stirrer whilst at the same time appearing to be fair and friendly.

He should perhaps consider going into politics now.
Reply 30
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The show that torments working class families in public for the profit of a TV company and the bloated salary of Jeremy Kyle has been axed.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7031153/Michael-Grade-says-ITV-probably-lose-popular-Jeremy-Kyle-crisis.html

It follows the suicide of a participant who recently killed himself a few days after his appearance on the show.

The production team deliberately harassed and drove participants to potential violence and high levels of aggression.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/14/jeremy-kyle-show-ruined-life-guest-speaks-out

I'm glad the show has been killed off, but really, Kyle should be charged with Manslaughter, along with executives of the production company.

That show was so tasteless anyway.
Original post by TheMill100
How can itv ban Jeremy Kyle yet still allow [unsavoury gentlemen] like Piers Morgan on air?

Piers hasn't indirectly killed anybody yet. It's sort of a blessing and a curse really, cause nobody's died (which is good) but nobody dying means we still have to suffer him.
Now turns out there has been at least two more suicides in the aftermath of the show.

Who would have guessed that this would be the outcome when you bully and berate people in difficult situations?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending