The Student Room Group

Second Degree Funding

I am currently studying Level 3 Cyber Security in college & I'm just wondering if I have any realistic options for progression in this area once I finish my current course. I am currently looking into a couple of different options:

Option 1 - Stay at college & study a HNC & then a HND in Computing, both of which are 1 year & full time.

Option 2 - Study a BSc Degree in Cyber Security (or Computing) at the Open University. This would be distance learning & part time.

I am a mature student and I already hold a BA degree in Linguistics so I am not sure if either of the above options are viable with regards to funding.

My degree in Linguistics was 3 years long but I had to redo a year due to some personal problems so I received 4 years of funding in total.

Can anyone possibly clarify if I would be able to receive any further Tuition Loans for either of the options mentioned above? I have tried to read up extensively on this but I keep getting conflicting information. Some sites are telling me that I am not eligible at all for funding for a second degree & others are saying that Computing is on an exemption list as long as it is part time study? If this is the case, would Cyber Security qualify or would the course strictly need to be Computer Science/Computing?

Thank you for taking the time to read this & if anyone can offer any guidance/clarity, I would be very grateful.

Kyle.
Original post by KyleM88
I am currently studying Level 3 Cyber Security in college & I'm just wondering if I have any realistic options for progression in this area once I finish my current course. I am currently looking into a couple of different options:

Option 1 - Stay at college & study a HNC & then a HND in Computing, both of which are 1 year & full time.

Option 2 - Study a BSc Degree in Cyber Security (or Computing) at the Open University. This would be distance learning & part time.

I am a mature student and I already hold a BA degree in Linguistics so I am not sure if either of the above options are viable with regards to funding.

My degree in Linguistics was 3 years long but I had to redo a year due to some personal problems so I received 4 years of funding in total.

Can anyone possibly clarify if I would be able to receive any further Tuition Loans for either of the options mentioned above? I have tried to read up extensively on this but I keep getting conflicting information. Some sites are telling me that I am not eligible at all for funding for a second degree & others are saying that Computing is on an exemption list as long as it is part time study? If this is the case, would Cyber Security qualify or would the course strictly need to be Computer Science/Computing?

Thank you for taking the time to read this & if anyone can offer any guidance/clarity, I would be very grateful.

Kyle.

Hi Kyle,

This would depend on the course, university and what mode you are studying (full time or part time). If you already hold a qualification/degree, students are only eligible for funding if the new course is classed as an exception.

If you have any courses and universities in mind then do confirm and we can check if you'd be eligible for funding for these. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. The courses I'm considering are:

Computing - Higher National Certificate (1 Year/Full Time) followed by Computing - Higher National Diploma (also 1 Year/Full Time), The City of Liverpool College.

OR

BSc Honours Cyber Security - The Open University (Part Time)

OR

BSc Computing and IT - The Open University (Part Time)
Original post by KyleM88
Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. The courses I'm considering are:

Computing - Higher National Certificate (1 Year/Full Time) followed by Computing - Higher National Diploma (also 1 Year/Full Time), The City of Liverpool College.

OR

BSc Honours Cyber Security - The Open University (Part Time)

OR

BSc Computing and IT - The Open University (Part Time)

Hi Kyle,

The full time courses wouldn't be classed as exception courses if you already hold a degree previously.

Both the Open University courses you've advised are listed as part time exception courses for your fees. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending