The Student Room Group

Securing and internship for actuaries

Hi, so I’m studying at uni of Manchester doing maths and actuarial science, I’m in my first year and I’m aware the chance of you getting a job is increased by securing a summer internship in your second year, my GCSE’s grade weren’t spectacular they were alright, my a levels were A*A*B in math further math and biology. There will be candidates applying for internships from more prestigious unis plus with better grades so i would like advice on how to stand out and secure an internship any advice would be appreciated .
Do work experience, try and connect with people to find out different opportunities as Internships aren’t always the only way to get your foot in the door. Just apply to as many as you can. Companies are looking less at your uni prestige unless it’s oxbridge and your desire and capability. There’s not much advice you can get about it because it’s competitive, connect with actuaries on LinkedIn message they directly and see if they have time for shadowing etc. Networking is what’s really important good luck
Original post by 0023
Hi, so I’m studying at uni of Manchester doing maths and actuarial science, I’m in my first year and I’m aware the chance of you getting a job is increased by securing a summer internship in your second year, my GCSE’s grade weren’t spectacular they were alright, my a levels were A*A*B in math further math and biology. There will be candidates applying for internships from more prestigious unis plus with better grades so i would like advice on how to stand out and secure an internship any advice would be appreciated .

You needn't worry about university prestige,-- it is probably the last factor they are willing to consider when deciding who to send offers to. Relating a bit to the above commenter, it would be advisable to understand the different roles and industries available to prospective actuarial trainees such as yourself.

Do you understand the Lloyd's insurance market? Do you want to work in a syndicate versus a primary insurer? Would you prefer to work in consulting and broking or at a say health insurer? Are you aware of the differences between Life and GI and how that affects you as an actuary? Are you aware of the differences between Pricing, Reserving, Research, Reporting, Capital Modelling etc. etc. and can articulate that in an interview? How aware are you of pressing issues and regulations that are affecting the insurance sector?

These are just the most obvious of questions you should be asking yourself or that they will potentially be asking you. I can guarantee a majority of candidates who apply for actuarial positions do not think about these things in much depth. Given you actually have a personality, you can easily top out against other candidates purely on technical and industry knowledge alone, so I would place your future efforts in those areas.
Reply 3
Original post by 0023

Hey I am also doing Actuarial Science with Mathematics at Manchester University! I'm going to a female insight day this September. I looked at some internships online and although most haven't released an application yet the ones I have applied to all had online tests including pymetrics tests and STjs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending