The Student Room Group

2019 Oxford Uni Geography Admissions Test

Is anyone else annoyed about the introduction of the geography admissions test??? Why are we the first year to have to do this? Another hurdle to get through :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Yes, it is quite challenging. Does anyone know what kind of preparation can be done?
You had to do the TSA before, only 2 or 3 years ago, and a long time ago I sat three, three hour long exams to get in - Human Geography, Physical Geography and the Oxford General Paper. I wouldn’t complain.
Original post by S1G
Yes, it is quite challenging. Does anyone know what kind of preparation can be done?

There are two sample papers on the website, if you want a challenge then just do the questions first without looking at the sample answers and see where you get. Then set up some more examples for yourself by looking at any geographical articles e.g. in geography magazines you may have at school and then ask similar questions. Try to practice how to interpret graphs, tables and data and write commentaries on it.
Original post by Charlieloo
Is anyone else annoyed about the introduction of the geography admissions test??? Why are we the first year to have to do this? Another hurdle to get through :frown:

Hola Charlieloo,

The test has been piloted and its introduction is in the interest of applicants since the results of the pilot indicate that it has predictive validity: applicants with higher scores are more likely to be successful gaining an offer and more likely to perform well on course if admitted.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by Hugh's Swan
There are two sample papers on the website, if you want a challenge then just do the questions first without looking at the sample answers and see where you get. Then set up some more examples for yourself by looking at any geographical articles e.g. in geography magazines you may have at school and then ask similar questions. Try to practice how to interpret graphs, tables and data and write commentaries on it.

Thank you, that is good advice
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hola Charlieloo,

The test has been piloted and its introduction is in the interest of applicants since the results of the pilot indicate that it has predictive validity: applicants with higher scores are more likely to be successful gaining an offer and more likely to perform well on course if admitted.

Brasenose Admissions

Thank you for your reply. Is there any other type of preparation that is recommended? I have been reading books and journals, recapping data analysis and considering current events form a geographical perspective. Please advise is there is anything else which would be beneficial. Thank you
Original post by S1G
Thank you for your reply. Is there any other type of preparation that is recommended? I have been reading books and journals, recapping data analysis and considering current events form a geographical perspective. Please advise is there is anything else which would be beneficial. Thank you

We think that Hugh's Swan has provided good advice that you seem to be following.
(edited 4 years ago)
We think that S1G has provided good advice that you seem to be following.

That's good, is there any thing else which is advisable please?
Hola Charlieloo,

Brasenose Admissions

Hello,
Oxford have said that the results of the exam will not be taken into consideration. Therefore how is it that 'applicants with higher scores are more likely to be successful gaining an offer'? Just curious :smile:
Thanks
Original post by Charlieloo
Hello,
Oxford have said that the results of the exam will not be taken into consideration. Therefore how is it that 'applicants with higher scores are more likely to be successful gaining an offer'? Just curious :smile:
Thanks

You are correct. There was no test last year for applicants but some current students will have been tested. This year is the applicant pilot and assuming predictive validity, the test will be for real next year.
You are correct. There was no test last year for applicants but some current students will have been tested. This year is the applicant pilot and assuming predictive validity, the test will be for real next year.

Thank you very much for your reply 😀

SO just to be sure, the GAT doesn't determine whether or not we are interviewed or given offers?
Original post by jrob1305
SO just to be sure, the GAT doesn't determine whether or not we are interviewed or given offers?

We believe that GAT will not be a factor.

I am sure the cohort data from the GAT will be reviewed thoroughly for next year's cohort test and understand that the test results are not being taken into active consideration, however, do you know if there a chance that admissions tutors will still be able to see the individual results from candidates?
hi,i hope to apply to oxford for geography for 2021 entry, and was wandering whether it is a definite that my yeargroup will be given the GAT? and the current year 13's are just a tester round for it?also at GCSE, i achieved six A*s and four As, is this ok for oxford? (one A* five 8s four 7s) tia

I have had confirmation from the Keble Admissions Officer by email that the GAT will be factored into a decision for interviews. Does this differ between colleges then?
Original post by A*mediocrity
I have had confirmation from the Keble Admissions Officer by email that the GAT will be factored into a decision for interviews. Does this differ between colleges then?

Hi, this is worrying as it goes against all the previous information. Please could you let us know anything else Keble have said. Thank you
Original post by A*mediocrity

Hola A*mediocrity,

We have clarified our position on the Forum, ie GAT will not be a factor. If you have any doubts about this, please contact Geography direct;
[email protected]

Brasenose Admissions
How did people find the test?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending