The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications 2019/2020

I know this is rather early to be thinking about vacation schemes for the next academic year, but I was just wondering if other people know/are thinking about which firms they will be looking to apply for come October time.

As for me, I'm going to go for Eversheds Sutherland, DLA Piper and Linklaters. I will probably apply for a few more too but I need to do some more research first.
Hi,

I have also made a list! I have been fast tracked to PWC assessment centre following the first year insight scheme (Simenon of this who attended that day hit the benchmark required for the vac scheme assessment centre). I am going to be applying so far for:
Gowling WLG
Freshfields
BCLP
Bristows
Freeths
Linklaters
Clifford chance
PWC
I went to the NRF open day although it was amazing. I want to apply to 10 firms so they may be on my lift after further research.

May I ask, what is the criteria you are basing your applications on?

Thanks and how did you get on st the first year schemes? Where you fast tracked to assessment centre? Was there even the opportunity to be fast tracked?
I feel like this is subtle masochism if anything.

Are law students allergic to summer breaks? If that's the case then I'm doing it wrong.
Most firms haven't even announced their vac scheme dates...
Original post by sanjsk03
Hi,

I have also made a list! I have been fast tracked to PWC assessment centre following the first year insight scheme (Simenon of this who attended that day hit the benchmark required for the vac scheme assessment centre). I am going to be applying so far for:
Gowling WLG
Freshfields
BCLP
Bristows
Freeths
Linklaters
Clifford chance
PWC
I went to the NRF open day although it was amazing. I want to apply to 10 firms so they may be on my lift after further research.

May I ask, what is the criteria you are basing your applications on?

Thanks and how did you get on st the first year schemes? Where you fast tracked to assessment centre? Was there even the opportunity to be fast tracked?

I basically want a firm that does international work, a good focus on litigation, activity encourages pro bono work and is concerned with employee wellbeing.

I'm getting fast tracked for Linklaters and possibly DLA Piper too but I need to check that.

Original post by MidgetFever
I feel like this is subtle masochism if anything.

Are law students allergic to summer breaks? If that's the case then I'm doing it wrong.

Original post by Cowtheduck
Most firms haven't even announced their vac scheme dates...

I'm just planning ahead since I will be on a year abroad which makes making applications have that added challenging element of being away from my university careers support and potentially having to travel back for assessment centres.
Hi sorry this is a dumb question but I've just found a law firm that's currently recruiting for 2022 TCs, would I be right in applying for this if I've just finished my first year at uni? Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.
Original post by phantomdiarrhea
Hi sorry this is a dumb question but I've just found a law firm that's currently recruiting for 2022 TCs, would I be right in applying for this if I've just finished my first year at uni? Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

I think that's right since you'll graduate in 2021, then do the LPC ready to start in 2022.
I've started getting together notes for application forms and I know which firms I'll be applying too. It's never 'too early'. And frankly I've been bored shitless so far this summer! Saves a job in October/November too...
Have just seen A&O are opening their apps on 1st August for vac schemes this year! Undecided about whether to apply for the VS or direct TC with them- currently leaning towards direct TC atm...
Original post by coffeeneeded27
Have just seen A&O are opening their apps on 1st August for vac schemes this year! Undecided about whether to apply for the VS or direct TC with them- currently leaning towards direct TC atm...

Most firms recruit for their TCs heavily through their VSes, so if you want a TC with them you should apply for the VS.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Most firms recruit for their TCs heavily through their VSes, so if you want a TC with them you should apply for the VS.

Not entirely true with A&O. Been told by their head of grad rec that if you already have legal experience then your best bet is to apply for a direct TC and I've done quite a few 1st year schemes (including at A&O and have a return office visit in September) and know from that experience I loved the firm enough to not need a VS to convince me anymore :smile:

Also converted one of my 1st year schemes into a final round TC interview which I have in September- chances of me actually getting the TC are probably slim to none but the dream would be to get that and not even have to do any VS apps! (I have CC Spark soon which has the chance to get offered a TC interview but not feeling confident I'll manage that tbh)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending