The Student Room Group

Tanning Beds - is it worth it?

I’ve never been on a tanning bed before, but this is my last resort. I’ve been working in Scotland for a few months and feel completely miserable at how ‘pale’ i’ve become.

So my question is, do tanning beds actually work? Maybe compared to a tan you get on holiday, will i get the same outcome from a few sessions?

I’m not pale, and always go dark in sunny weather. Help please!

Scroll to see replies

It's lovely and sunny today. Why not go outside?
I don't even know how tanning beds are still legal. Not worth it, imo.
thought they gave you cancer?
anyway it's pretty easy to get a tan in scotland if like you said you go dark in the sun
Original post by Het_98
I’ve never been on a tanning bed before, but this is my last resort. I’ve been working in Scotland for a few months and feel completely miserable at how ‘pale’ i’ve become.

So my question is, do tanning beds actually work? Maybe compared to a tan you get on holiday, will i get the same outcome from a few sessions?

It worth it
It's really not.
Original post by Greywolftwo
It worth it
no its not worth it because its harmful for your skin. if you want to tan without the sun then use fake tan not sun beds
Not worth it in the slightest! You'd be willingly putting yourself at higher risk of developing skin cancer and for what? Vanity?
If you want a more tan look, tanning lotion is a much better alternative. You should also learn to be more comfortable in your own skin; no amount of self-tanner will be able to change who you are. That being said, no harm in trying a different look as long as you don't value yourself less without it.
Original post by Het_98

I think they should be banned. If you want wrinkly skin and age spots when you’re older, then go ahead. I watched a documentary about 5 people under 30 who had developed skin cancer due to sun beds. Try fake tan or just accept yourself as you are.
Reply 9
Again, i am in Scotland, there really isn’t much sun here. I’m naturally quite tanned, but I’m not going away this summer. I know the risks, not here to be bashed. I was just asking if i go on a tanning bed will i get as tanned as i would if i went away 😊
Reply 10
I am comfortable in my own skin, i never use fake tan and I’ve never been on a sun bed before. Again, i know the risks! I wasnt asking if I’m going to get skin cancer or wrinkly skin etc. because i already know what it can cause ( long term ! ) The same as i know the risks of smoking, which i do, daily
Nobody's bashing you, we just want to remind you that it's not worth it. I'd even be cautious about staying out in the sun for long because it'll result in similar effects. You should always be wearing sunscreen when you go out; skin cancer is still very much a thing.
Original post by Het_98
Again, i am in Scotland, there really isn’t much sun here. I’m naturally quite tanned, but I’m not going away this summer. I know the risks, not here to be bashed. I was just asking if i go on a tanning bed will i get as tanned as i would if i went away 😊
Original post by Het_98

I'm in Scotland too and out in the sun at a BBQ, hence why I said it!
Reply 13
Original post by sinfonietta
I'm in Scotland too and out in the sun at a BBQ, hence why I said it!

We are obviously not in the same region in that case 😂
Reply 14
Original post by sleepingmonarch
Nobody's bashing you, we just want to remind you that it's not worth it. I'd even be cautious about staying out in the sun for long because it'll result in similar effects. You should always be wearing sunscreen when you go out; skin cancer is still very much a thing.

Okay, i should have re worded my original question then, as i was focusing more on the tan itself, not the side effects. Thankyou for your concern though, i already smoke and am fully aware thats going to give me all sorts of nasty things. Just personal choice at the end of the day
it's really sunny here today
and last week it was sweltering lol where were you then?
Original post by Het_98
It's not good to keep doing on a regular basis, but if you want to use it for a short period to top your base tone up you're likely to not get cancer. It's a terrible thing for your health to use it regularly and does increase cancer likelihood. But a few times shouldn't hurt you. I know a lot of people who use them but I've only been advised/would advise to use it for short periods
Reply 17
Original post by pineapplepink

I’m in Inverness. I should of also added i’ve been working here 9am - 5pm five days a week so any sun there has been i’ve missed it 🙁
Original post by pineapplepink

Thursday and Friday were gorgeous. :heart:
Reply 19
I’m working in Scotland, so I didn’t get the chance ...

Quick Reply

Latest