The Student Room Group

Why did you get rid of arcade games on TSR?

Feel free to tag any admins on this thread. I can't be bothered to do it myself.

I've been a user of TSR long enough to know when arcade games were a feature on here. It might seem a bit pathetic, but I used to find it fun competing with other TSR users. There used to be an awesome platform game where you'd control a unicorn while Erasure's song 'Always' played in the background, and I myself held the high score on the helicopter game.
Because they keep chopping and changing features and ruining the site generally. It's what they do.
Original post by Gnome Chomps Key
Feel free to tag any admins on this thread. I can't be bothered to do it myself.

I've been a user of TSR long enough to know when arcade games were a feature on here. It might seem a bit pathetic, but I used to find it fun competing with other TSR users. There used to be an awesome platform game where you'd control a unicorn while Erasure's song 'Always' played in the background, and I myself held the high score on the helicopter game.

FWIW the games are still out there e.g. http://www.adultswim.com/games/web/robot-unicorn-attack
There's some random square game that idk the name of, i know @Puddles the Monkey is partial to it though

Moved to Help and Announcements
And fix the stupid quoting change where you write your reply above the quote message. These clueless mods must know literally every other forum does the opposite to this.
Reply 6

Hi. Sorry I don't know what happened to those games on TSR (it was before my time I think), but you might have soke luck finding the same games on sites like miniclip or ninja kiwi. :smile:
My guess would be that either some licencing stuff was involved where TSR wasn't allowed to host games anymore or they decided to keep the site focused more on discussions. Like. I said though I don't know anything about those games existing so that's just a guess.
Reply 7
Original post by SoggyCabbages
And fix the stupid quoting change where you write your reply above the quote message. These clueless mods must know literally every other forum does the opposite to this.

If it's been brought to their attention before (them being the site designers) then I'm sure they have some plans to change it. There are probably a lot of other things they are focusing on first though which have more impact on the site.
In the meantime you can just click bellow the quote to start typing there instead. It's not nice and automatic but it is still pretty easy and shouldn't be too disruptive. :smile:

The TSR staff and volunteers do try their best to make TSR a nice place for users and there are a lot of things they do behind the scenes that you probably aren't aware ofwhich help to keep the site going. Unfortunately we aren't able to just snap our fingers and fix everything that comes up, but we do definately care and try out best to keep things fun, helpful and functional. :smile:
Reply 8

PRSOM

Unfortunately They don't really care about the user experience at all, all they care about is optimizing the site to make extra money.

They'll happily strip out forum features and let the site be buggy if their conversions reports show people are clicking on a few more pages than usual..
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'd like to think they were removed in an effort to stop us procrastinating, but I suppose that's just fanciful on my part!
99.9% copyright issues
The people in red are the ones you need to speak to. Volunteers are not mods and we certainly don't control site development.

I'm not sure why it went away :sad:

@RK - this happened a few years ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4032681 Do you know what happened since then?

This is in the queue to be fixed :smile:
Their names were at the bottom of the forum so I tagged them.
Original post by 04MR17
The people in red are the ones you need to speak to. Volunteers are not mods and we certainly don't control site development.
Original post by Satyr
Their names were at the bottom of the forum so I tagged them.
If you click on the purple title beneath my name you can have a look at who does what. :yy:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I'm not sure why it went away :sad:

@RK - this happened a few years ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4032681 Do you know what happened since then?

I've no idea really. I wasn't part of any project to discontinue it and haven't heard anyone talking about it.

But I can understand why. It was hardly used and they were all flash games, so I guess with the discontinuing of flash player and it not always working in browsers any more, it probably wasn't worth the effort to change to some different format.
(edited 4 years ago)
So... Would you consider bringing arcade games back, then? I'd be delighted if you did.

@She-Ra
@Puddles the Monkey
@RK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending