The Student Room Group

Standard entry Medicine as an Undergraduate (A100 medicine)

Hey everyone, I am thinking of applying to an undergraduate medical school programme but i am a graduate with a 2:1 in biomedical science and a Masters degree (distinction).

I was wondering if there's anyone else doing this and where they are going to apply. I am really worried cause i do not have A levels, only a foundation programme (85%). Queen Mary and Kings do not need A levels for graduates, but cant think of any other schools ..

PLEASE HELP (I'm panicking)

Scroll to see replies

Is there a reason you're not applying to GEM? Its quicker and far easier to finance.
Original post by FutureDoctorH
Hey everyone, I am thinking of applying to an undergraduate medical school programme but i am a graduate with a 2:1 in biomedical science and a Masters degree (distinction).

I was wondering if there's anyone else doing this and where they are going to apply. I am really worried cause i do not have A levels, only a foundation programme (85%). Queen Mary and Kings do not need A levels for graduates, but cant think of any other schools ..

My undergraduate grades are average and GEM is more competitive and i'm worried i wouldn't get in that way.
Original post by ForestCat
Is there a reason you're not applying to GEM? Its quicker and far easier to finance.
I didn't know that, in that case I might end up doing both , just to increase my chances. But we'll see how it all works out ! Thank you
Nottingham and Warwick (for GEM) don’t look at a-levels. I think most everywhere else needs A-levels for UG medicine, you’d have the email the universities individually and ask them if it’s accepted

Reply 5

As well as Warwick, Nottingham, Barts and Kings, there is Newcastle, SGUL and Swansea, I think, though you need the more knowledgeable posters on here to say whether your Masters makes up for your 2:1 at Barts as they have not interviewed anyone with a 2:1 in recent years.
My undergraduate grades are average and GEM is more competitive and i'm worried i wouldn't get in that way.

You have a Masters, that is more than a lot of candidates for GEM.

Do you have the funds for undergrad entry?
I've started doing that, they just take such a long time to reply.
Shame about Barts, it seems i might have to reconsider then :frown: .When i emailed they gave me the impression that i could apply
Original post by GANFYD
As well as Warwick, Nottingham, Barts and Kings, there is Newcastle, SGUL and Swansea, I think, though you need the more knowledgeable posters on here to say whether your Masters makes up for your 2:1 at Barts as they have not interviewed anyone with a 2:1 in recent years.
I never really looked at it that way, maybe it gives me an advantage. Yes, funds are covered for undergrad entry.
I just don't want to have to apply 2 or 3 times before getting a place that is why i am opting for this option as well..
Original post by ForestCat
You have a Masters, that is more than a lot of candidates for GEM.

Do you have the funds for undergrad entry?
Reply 10
Shame about Barts, it seems i might have to reconsider then :frown: .When i emailed they gave me the impression that i could apply

YOu need some of the experience GEM posters as it may well be that your Masters will "top up" your 2:1 @Antibiotics @arigziegler @Royal Oak can you advise?
They are at the minute; I sent an email to Liverpool asking a not dissimilar thing to yourself and only received a reply recently, two months later!
I've started doing that, they just take such a long time to reply.

I don't know about A100, but for A101 at Barts you don't get extra points for masters (new last year unless they've chamged it again, I believe you still get points for a PhD), so with a 2.1 you'd be unlikely to get an interview.
I want to dispel this idea that grad entry is harder to get into than undergrad entry generally. The stats for a uni like Warwick are far far less competitive than a uni like Newcastle for undergrad. You’d need a lower UCAT and have less competition at interview stage. It’s all about applying strategically, and to your strengths.

I’d suggest getting your UCAT done and then reassessing. The largest competition for GEM is pre interview for UCAT unis (assuming you haven’t applied to sit GAMSAT or BMAT), and so applying with a known score is much more helpful.
(edited 4 years ago)
hey, I'm going to be applying for GEM and undergraduate standard entry for 2020 at Barts and KCL.

Currently away to start 3rd year of a forensic scics degree. I also dont have ALevels, but I went to both open days and spoke to admissions. Both those unis dont even look at your A levels when you have a BSc degree.

have you taken your UCAT yet?
Original post by Jassam17
hey, I'm going to be applying for GEM and undergraduate standard entry for 2020 at Barts and KCL.

Currently away to start 3rd year of a forensic scics degree. I also dont have ALevels, but I went to both open days and spoke to admissions. Both those unis dont even look at your A levels when you have a BSc degree.

have you taken your UCAT yet?

Untrue and misleading. Not a BSc. A bioscience degree ‘with sufficient biology and chemistry’.

Certainly Barts check a levels for GEM unless you have a bioscience degree but yours wouldn’t count as this. Same goes for kings.

For undergraduate, Kings and Barts will also require a levels as, again, you don’t have what they would class as a bioscience degree.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Antibiotics
Untrue and misleading. Not a BSc. A bioscience degree ‘with sufficient biology and chemistry’.

Certainly Barts check a levels for GEM unless you have a bioscience degree but yours wouldn’t count as this. Same goes for kings.

For undergraduate, Kings and Barts will also require a levels as, again, you don’t have what they would class as a bioscience degree.

Apologies, I should have said if you have a specific BSc.
however my degree is accepted. I confirmed with both universities bia email AND the open day & they told me my BSc has sufficient biology and chemistry modules so they would therefore not need to look at my ALevels.
Sorry just editing my app is awful
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jassam17
Apologies, I should have said if you have a specific BSc.
however my degree is accepted. I confirmed with both universities bia email AND the open day & they told me my BSc has sufficient biology and chemistry modules so they would therefore not need to look at my ALevels.

Ah I see, quite surprising as usually they’re quite strict on the definition of bioscience - limiting it to life sciences. Thanks for updating - it’s useful to know in terms of advising future applicants. I’ll be interested to see how you get on at kings because they seem to be fairly secretive in how they select for interview. I imagine you’re predicted a first?
Reply 19
I would highly recommend grad entry, I have been doing undergrad med and it is a long long haul. That first year is really not going to be worth it, I imagine it would be more desirable to, if necessary, spend a year reapplying and working instead of doing first year!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending