The Student Room Group

GCSEs 2020

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by skittlessh
my mock grades were:
english lang - 6 (one mark off a bloody 7)
we didn’t do eng lit
maths - 5 didn’t revise at all
chemistry- 9
biology - 9
physics - 9 or 8 idk not sure
german - 5 (that’s the highest u could get since it was foundation)
computing - 6 (couple of marks off a 7)
art - 7
RE - 9

They are so good!!well done!!
Reply 41
Original post by hassantawad
Yes. i study a christmas carol. i hate it

How do you even revise for a Christmas carol? It’s so hard.
my mock grades were:
english lang - 6 (one mark off a bloody 7)
we didn’t do eng lit
maths - 5 didn’t revise at all
chemistry- 9
biology - 9
physics - 9 or 8 idk not sure
german - 5 (that’s the highest u could get since it was foundation)
computing - 6 (couple of marks off a 7)
art - 7
RE - 9

wow everyone on this thread seems so good at science apart from me:biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by shady1402
I got a 5 in both biology and chemistry. I think where I went wrong is I just made notes, I didn't revise or practice them at all so the is what I have been doing this summer:smile:

A 5 is pretty okay, I've seen people go from 3s to 8s. What are you aiming for? Same, I feel like I didn't do much revision, especially Biology, I literally glanced at the book when honestly I think I like it and am better at it than the other sciences and so out in more effort. I don't really know what type of revision works for me but I think flashcards have been pretty effective and doing practice questions, especially on 6 markers. I'm kinda worried about RE bc I've never revised for it before and our class is a literal mess we never learn anything bc out teacher is trying to discipline us or smth 😶
For Maths this is what I use
Original post by _asia.xo3
A 5 is pretty okay, I've seen people go from 3s to 8s. What are you aiming for? Same, I feel like I didn't do much revision, especially Biology, I literally glanced at the book when honestly I think I like it and am better at it than the other sciences and so out in more effort. I don't really know what type of revision works for me but I think flashcards have been pretty effective and doing practice questions, especially on 6 markers. I'm kinda worried about RE bc I've never revised for it before and our class is a literal mess we never learn anything bc out teacher is trying to discipline us or smth 😶

im aiming for a 7 in physics, and an 8/9 in biology and chemistry as I'm doing them a A Level and I enjoy them. for me what I need to do different is actually read my notes then practice, for my exams I wrote them out and didn't read through them at all which is because I started them too late. I've re done biology and chemistry notes, and right now I'm doing physics. I want to have all my year 10 note done by the end of august so I can read through them and test myself to see if I have improved. ill do it in timed conditions. I also think I'm going to get ahead of my science notes, and try to do the next topic notes because all three of my science teachers are smoking- we are getting a new chemistry teacher since my old one is leaving which is so upsetting cos she was actually the. best. I have only so far properly used flashcards for Spanish, but once I've done all my notes I'm transferring them into flashcards on quizlet as quilt has been useful to me. with me rs is the same. even though I got a 4 in the mock, I got a 9 literally two weeks later while the rest of my class and the other class were at 7s/6s. everyone failed the mock which we found so funny ngl hehe. practice really is all you can do and time management I think. making notes for rs will only be useful to a certain degree ygm, I think practice is the most important xx

what exam board are you doing for RE? i did my mock and got a 9 in it, the way i revised was just doing loads of practice questions in timed conditions- i practiced doing my 4 markers in 2 mins so that i could have more time doing the 12 markers etc
what exam board are you doing for RE? i did my mock and got a 9 in it, the way i revised was just doing loads of practice questions in timed conditions- i practiced doing my 4 markers in 2 mins so that i could have more time doing the 12 markers etc

I'm doing AQA and I'm doing Christianity and Islam:smile: and a 9 that is so good well done xx yes I think I really just need to practice
I'm doing AQA and I'm doing Christianity and Islam:smile: and a 9 that is so good well done xx yes I think I really just need to practice

im doing the same! if you have any questions, dont know if ill be any help but don’t hesitate to ask haha
Any advice on what to do during the summer?
Hi!!
I’m so worried about next year. Even though I tried my hardest I did so bad in mocks this year and I’m scared it’s going to repeat itself next year. If you don’t mind me asking what did you get in mocks? I got

Art-7
Biology-5
Chemistry-5 (even though I was so confident with the exam)
English Language-5
English Literature-5(I answered the poem question wrong so I’m not too bothered)
Maths-5(I don’t revise for it at all, I really should)
Physics-4
Rs-4(did an exam after, got a 9)
Spanish-3(one mark off 4, didn’t revise at all)
I also now get extra time because they found out I have dyslexia sooo I hope that helps next year:smile:

Don’t freak out about mock exams too much. In my experience mocks were much harder than the real thing. I got a U in a chemistry mock two weeks before the real exam and then came out with a 6
Reply 51

We do WJEC for RE which is apparently really easy compared to the other exam boards lol
Reply 52
And woah a 9 that's amazing 👏
Reply 53
We do WJEC for RE which is apparently really easy compared to the other exam boards lol

It is. I used to be to AQA RE before I moved and now I do WJEC RE and it’s sooooo much easier
Hiii, I am going to start my gcse in 2020 aswell and I don't know why but thinking about this is also giving me anxiety, but I made notes and flashcards and try to be as organised as possible (but I am making them not properly revising it just skimming through) and lots of summer homework but I the thing is I am not from England and moved ere so my target grades are pretty low but I really want to get about a 6 or 7 so I am going to work as hard as possible.Right now for mocks I did bad in Re (3) and maths, the rest I got around 6/7. I love science :smile::p:$
Reply 55
Original post by Elle.c
It is. I used to be to AQA RE before I moved and now I do WJEC RE and it’s sooooo much easier

I'm actually so thankful for that otherwise I don't know how I'd deal 😂
Reply 56
I'm actually so thankful for that otherwise I don't know how I'd deal 😂

Same😂😂id consider us lucky
Reply 57
Original post by Granolakiddo
Hiii, I am going to start my gcse in 2020 aswell and I don't know why but thinking about this is also giving me anxiety, but I made notes and flashcards and try to be as organised as possible (but I am making them not properly revising it just skimming through) and lots of summer homework but I the thing is I am not from England and moved ere so my target grades are pretty low but I really want to get about a 6 or 7 so I am going to work as hard as possible.Right now for mocks I did bad in Re (3) and maths, the rest I got around 6/7. I love science :smile::p:$

Well done they are good results, obviously work on your maths and re but other than that you did well. Don’t push yourself too hard.
how much revision has everyone done this summer? I'm not really revising I'm more like making my notes and just skimming through them a bit just so I know that I have everything done. I want to get my year 10 notes done by end of this month and year 11 notes done by February, meaning I will have to study ahead of everyone ygm. cos I need to do loads of practice. also when does everyone go back to school? we can share our day back on here which will be so interesting☺️also does anyone know roughly when their mocks are i.e. are they in march, January, December ad how many mocks do you have next year? I only have one set of mocks in January when we go back and we have to do ALL the papers except for English paper 2 for some reason. I hope everyone summer is going well xx
I hope to get

Maths - 5
Eng Lang + Lit - 8
Double Science - 7,7
Art - 9
French - 8
German - 9
Geography - 8

I honestly don’t think I’ll pass most of these things, since the start of Year 10 I’ve been failing literally everything except Art (spend all my time on this) and German (I’m half German so doesn’t really count). I’m going to be so disappointed if I don’t get a 9 in Art, I’ve put so much work in. I really don’t want to have to retake Maths and English though, I’ve always been bad at maths but I used to really enjoy English... not the case anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest