The Student Room Group

Best place for non european history

Hello, ive never been a fan of the history they taught at school ive hated history at college so much because of the European history. I have been looking at universities but almost every single one has a focus on European history barring soas, i did enjoy the open day at soas but it seemed to niche and im not a big fan of the london life, is there any other universities that have a strong non European history department in the UK.
Trinity College Dublin? https://TCD.ie I'm being serious, although Dublin is a wonderful city but accommodation is very hard to find in second year,

University "Ca' Foscari" I think they do history in English, but who cares considering where Ca' Foscari is located!

Bradford is famous for Peace Studies, not just history , but focussed REAL history, very impressive stuff since 1973
which you'd then naturally finish off with a Masters at Leeds https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/a066/conflict-development-and-security-ma

The course bridges the themes of conflict, liberal styles of governance and aid policy. You will analyse the ways in which security, development and humanitarian agents adapt to instability. You will also examine the significance of globalisation for the emergence of internal conflict, and for the development of trans-border economics and the political dynamics they may support.
This programme gives you the opportunity to study regionally differentiated responses to conflict in, for example Africa and Afghanistan, and to discuss issues relating to humanitarian conditionality, containment and the role of international organisations and NGOs.

If you can cope with and get enough 'A's for Oxford, then surely you can study whichever particular strands of History interest you. I know someone who attended the University of Dundee for example, never attended a single official lecture in his course, just studied freeform everything that he wished, and received a first-class degree at the end. Later was made rector of the University of Dundee. Could try the same at St. Andrews?, phone around a bit...you can sometimes find the right match, it might however be in Amsterdam, rather than strictly UK. Vrije Universiteit Am'dam
Reply 2
SOAS?
Original post by Ishyalam2001
Hello, ive never been a fan of the history they taught at school ive hated history at college so much because of the European history. I have been looking at universities but almost every single one has a focus on European history barring soas, i did enjoy the open day at soas but it seemed to niche and im not a big fan of the london life, is there any other universities that have a strong non European history department in the UK.

Hi there!
I've just finished my history degree at the University of Kent and in my third year especially, I hardly touched on European history. I'd say that Kent have a strong American History department if that is more your kind of thing? There are several global history modules that you can choose from as well, and some more general ones like 'Science and Religion' which isn't specific to one geographical area. One of the great things about the history course at Kent is that there is only one compulsory module in the whole 3 year course, so you won't be made to do any kind of history you're not interested in :smile: To be honest, it's one of the reasons I chose Kent!
If you'd like to have more of a look, I'll put the link to Kent's History subject page below so you can see what other kinds of history they offer.
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/85/history#structure

I hope that this helps :smile: And feel free to ask if you have any questions!
Durham offer a lot of modules on world history - including American, African and East Asian (China, Japan and Korea) :h:

Search up universities and check the course information it will list potential modules..

I find that the other London universities offer a lot of non European history modules
Original post by LuigiMario
Trinity College Dublin? https://TCD.ie I'm being serious, although Dublin is a wonderful city but accommodation is very hard to find in second year,

Trinity's history course is very much based on European history. It's course is extremely focused on pre-Anglo Ireland with a few surveys on America but that's about it.

If you are hell bent on doing history, look for a "American History" course. But to be frank, you don't seem like you are hell bent on history. Non-European history isn't that different. It is taught the same way. Maybe look to Asian history beginning with a course in a Asian language?
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
I've just finished my history degree at the University of Kent and in my third year especially, I hardly touched on European history. I'd say that Kent have a strong American History department if that is more your kind of thing? There are several global history modules that you can choose from as well, and some more general ones like 'Science and Religion' which isn't specific to one geographical area. One of the great things about the history course at Kent is that there is only one compulsory module in the whole 3 year course, so you won't be made to do any kind of history you're not interested in :smile: To be honest, it's one of the reasons I chose Kent!
If you'd like to have more of a look, I'll put the link to Kent's History subject page below so you can see what other kinds of history they offer.
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/85/history#structure

I hope that this helps :smile: And feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Hey sorry that this is completely off topic but I have been thinking about Kent for history. I have a couple questions. Do people commute to Kent from London? I would not like to live away from home really do people commute or would this be odd. Also how is the area, I met someone else that went there for history and said it is a poor area and it isn’t a great place to go to uni according to them. Another question I had was if I didn’t get bbb would they still take me onto their course? Thank you
Original post by eternal123
Hey sorry that this is completely off topic but I have been thinking about Kent for history. I have a couple questions. Do people commute to Kent from London? I would not like to live away from home really do people commute or would this be odd. Also how is the area, I met someone else that went there for history and said it is a poor area and it isn’t a great place to go to uni according to them. Another question I had was if I didn’t get bbb would they still take me onto their course? Thank you

Hey, no problem at all :smile:
I have heard of several people commuting to Kent so it is definitely not uncommon. The transport connections between London and Canterbury are pretty good and on the high speed trains it takes less than an hour. The university is also closests to Canterbury West which is where the high speed services to go/from.
Personally I really like the area but these things can be down to personal preference so it's important that you like the area and feel it is somewhere you would enjoy living. Canterbury isn't a huge city like some other university towns but it has 3 universities in it so it has a good student-feel to it with several bars and nightclubs offering student nights. Canterbury is also a very historic city with lots of cobbled streets and beautiful old buildings and parks, for me this is what made it feel quite homely but its obviously just down to what you prefer :smile: The uni is a 20 minute walk from the centre of Canterbury and its set in acres of parkland and is especially beautiful in the summer!
There is a chance that you could still get accepted onto the History course if you don't meet the entry requirements, but it all depends on the number of people who have applied and how many of them met the entry requirements. It is quite common for people who achieved one or two grades below asking to still get accepted, so I wouldn't worry about that massively! It is the same for most universities.

I hope this answers everything! Let me know if you have any other questions at all :biggrin:
Original post by Answers212121
Trinity's history course is very much based on European history. It's course is extremely focused on pre-Anglo Ireland with a few surveys on America but that's about it.

If you are hell bent on doing history, look for a "American History" course. But to be frank, you don't seem like you are hell bent on history. Non-European history isn't that different. It is taught the same way. Maybe look to Asian history beginning with a course in a Asian language?

I dont think i made it clear in my original post, but i meant to include America in non-european, what i meant was middle eastern/African/indian
I dont think i made it clear in my original post, but i meant to include America in non-european, what i meant was middle eastern/African/indian

Fair enough. What you really mean is non-Western history? Trinity do a course called Middle Eastern and Jewish Studies or something along those lines. Might be the one you're after. Also have a look at Classics, you might like that, it's all ancient Rome/Greece, so a bit different to what youre used to although you have to do one or both of Latin and Ancient Greek. You might like some other, rather unknown to UK students, areas of history, such as Celtic history. University College Dublin offer Celtic Civlisation which can be combined with a massive range of subjects such as Philosophy, Classics, History, Politics and International Relations, Economics... Etc etc.

Take a look at Trinity's Middle Eastern and Jewish Culture degree and take a look at UCD's Arts and Humanities degrees. Both universities are top in their field, pretty much equals. Goodluck!
Sussex : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/history-ba - World History focus with lots of different options.
Stirling : https://www.stir.ac.uk/courses/ug/arts-humanities/history/ - History with lots of different 'area' options.
UEA : American History (exactly what it says on the tin) - https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/ba-american-history
Brighton : Globalisation: History, Politics and Culture - https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/globalisation-history-politics-culture-ba-hons.aspx
Birmingham :African Studies - https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/dasa/african.aspx
Or look at a course 'with Study Abroad' - this will include a year at a Uni in USA/Canada/Australia or in Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending