The Student Room Group

help - a level history cousework

Anyone know any ideas on what i could write about with this question. - your view about the extent to which by 1924 the russian people had exchanged one authoritarian regime for another.
Original post by user1787
Anyone know any ideas on what i could write about with this question. - your view about the extent to which by 1924 the russian people had exchanged one authoritarian regime for another.

An interesting thought to be had is to question whether the Bolsheviks had actually done anything new. Compare the Tsar's use of terror and repression to the Bolsheviks - were they really that different? Consider whether the Pogroms of the 1890s were simply exchanging minorities for kulaks victimwise, but not changing in their execution. Consider the impact of the fact that Serfdom stuck around in Russia a hell of a lot longer than most other countries - were the Russian people exchanging feudal bondage for Bolshevik bondage (discuss War Communism and NEP differences) and discuss the treatment of historically repressed groups (Jews, Tartars, Karelians, etc.)

Another interesting point would be to discuss how a Tsarist and Bolshevik regime justified their authorities. On the side of the Tsar was God and Time (and strategic inbreeding to many European royal dynasties). What did the Bolsheviks have? Marx? Material dialectics? They had few connections to sympathetic state regimes - there were essentially non-existent in Europe. Consider the fact that the Tsar relied on being the established order of things. The Bolsheviks, on the other hand, came to topple this order. Discuss how they toppled this ''established order'' by relying on underground groups outside the Tsarist establishment, often with cross-European connections (especially to Weimar Germany)

Just a few ideas on how I personally would unpack the question. Always contrast similarities vs. differences, and change over time - it will help you generate criteria to reach your judgement of ''extent''.
Original post by user1787

Let’s break the question down:
You had the Tsar, which you learnt about his policies from 1894, and how his government worked.
Than the Russian revolution and the power struggle for a stable government - with the Bolshevik's winning
So compare life for different social classes under the Tsar, and under the Bolshevick’s, and their policies
Do you think the Bolshevick’s gave greater control or less.
For example, under the Tsar, internal passports were used (you cannot move to another place without local authority permission). Under the Bolshevick's, this was abolished.
https://www.prlib.ru/en/history/619849#:~:text=The%20passport%20system%20limited%20travel,rule%20political%20backwardness%20and%20despotism.
So just firstly, gather facts that support for and against for authoritarian, for the Tsar and Bolshevick’s
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending