The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Art History at UCL or St Andrews

Trying to decide between Art History at UCL or St Andrews, both of which have given the same conditional offers for IB. Any feedback on how the Art History courses are taught at each university and differences, and student experiences at UCL and St Andrews for Art History would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by fluppet
Trying to decide between Art History at UCL or St Andrews, both of which have given the same conditional offers for IB. Any feedback on how the Art History courses are taught at each university and differences, and student experiences at UCL and St Andrews for Art History would be greatly appreciated!

I would say for History, St Andrews is far more well known than UCL but both have very good general reputation so you can't really go wrong. I suppose you need to decide what you are after from your university area. St Andrews - a small, picturesque and idyllic place in Scotland. UCL - heart of central London with loads of opportunity, hustle and bustle and a buzzing nightlife with LOADS of things to do.

St Andrews - not really much to do and best thing to do is going to Edinburgh for a night out (which I hear is 40 minutes away).

Being in the heart of central London, going to UCL comes at a major hit on the savings - everything is extortionately priced!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by vnayak
I would say for History, St Andrews is far more well known than UCL but both have very good general reputation so you can't really go wrong. I suppose you need to decide what you are after from your university area. St Andrews - a small, picturesque and idyllic place in Scotland. UCL - heart of central London with loads of opportunity, hustle and bustle and a buzzing nightlife with LOADS of things to do.

St Andrews - not really much to do and best thing to do is going to Edinburgh for a night out (which I hear is 40 minutes away).

Being in the heart of central London, going to UCL comes at a major hit on the savings - everything is extortionately priced!

History of art isn't the same as history though. It's a completely separate department at UCL (pretty well established as well I believe...)
Original post by vnayak

i agree with a fair bit of your post, except 'buzzing nightlife' for London lol. good bars in Soho but i mean almost every club shut down after Covid and they weren't/aren't 'student clubs' - the problem with London is that you are a student in a non-student city.
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i agree with a fair bit of your post, except 'buzzing nightlife' for London lol. good bars in Soho but i mean almost every club shut down after Covid and they weren't/aren't 'student clubs' - the problem with London is that you are a student in a non-student city.

Really? When I went to my Imperial interview, the current students told us that the night life and social scene is great! I mean I haven't really explored London that much post-COVID so I guess my opinion is not the best to take on that but from what I say, expectation did seem to match reality. @fluppet
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
History of art isn't the same as history though. It's a completely separate department at UCL (pretty well established as well I believe...)

Yes, History of Art is a completely different course from History. It requires the examination and analysis of artworks & architecture in their cultural and historical contexts and an assessment if their aesthetic value.
Reply 6
Original post by vnayak

Edinburgh is about 1 hr 20 minutes away from St Andrews. The nearest 'metropolis' to St Andrews is Dundee, 25-35 minutes away.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending