The Student Room Group

21 y/o £47k/year AMA

Went to my third interview today and miraculously I got an email offering me the job (assuming I can actually do the job and they don’t sack me).

So AMA. I earn £47k (c.£175/day + bens) so after tax it’ll be £36k so I technically earn £36k.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So what's the job
Reply 2
Original post by geniequeen48
So what's the job

Technical job
Reply 3
Original post by jaxon1999cd
Technical job

Specific
Daily routine?
Has to be cyber security! Am I right?
Reply 6
Original post by tHe237046
Has to be cyber security! Am I right?

No I’m a data analyst/scientist
How did you score the job? I have a degree in BA but can't manage to get anything..
No I’m a data analyst/scientist

very cool. What do you do in your work? Whats the stack in your firm?
Reply 9
very cool. What do you do in your work? Whats the stack in your firm?

Python mainly for the statistical computation of the data but others are power bi, excel, sql: the standard :smile:
Original post by HumbleBee_x
I'm interested in doing an IT related degree with good job prospects and little maths involved what would you recommend? :smile:

You need to know some level of maths maybe up to AL. I’d say brush up on statistics. What are you doing at uni?
Original post by TeaAndToast22
How did you score the job? I have a degree in BA but can't manage to get anything..

Mainly self taught but I have a BSc in Maths (whether that helped, I’m not sure). What industry you trying to get into? What BA do you have
You need to know some level of maths maybe up to AL. I’d say brush up on statistics. What are you doing at uni?

idk what to do w my life :argh: I despise maths with a passion!

no point having this conversation, IT ain't my thing, but that salary looks good!
idk what to do w my life :argh: I despise maths with a passion!

no point having this conversation, IT ain't my thing, but that salary looks good!

Learning programming requires very little nmathematics, and in fact aids learning math...I can recommend taking A level computer science, or a programming course at some local university or academic institute, or one of the online MOOCS. I definitely recommend it.

Really one of the best way to learn math is to actually program some basic math.
(edited 4 years ago)
Learning programming requires very little nmathematics, and in fact aids learning math...I can recommend taking A level computer science, or a programming course at some local university or academic institute, or one of the online MOOCS. I definitely recommend it.

Really one of the best way to learn math is to actually program some basic math.

Thankyou! I'm interested in cyber security but I'm not a computing geek at all I can see myself struggling while doing a degree through independent learning. I have no knowledge in IT behind me only BTEC IT while I was at school!

I'm a 2020 applicant so I'm in a bit of a dilemma choosing a career path :redface:
Thankyou! I'm interested in cyber security but I'm not a computing geek at all I can see myself struggling while doing a degree through independent learning. I have no knowledge in IT behind me only BTEC IT while I was at school!

I'm a 2020 applicant so I'm in a bit of a dilemma choosing a career path :redface:

Ok, cyber security does not need much level of math, only for those cryptography people and thats not really much of a field for jobs anyway (I think).
I mean youre here online posting on a computer, so I think thats really the basic prerequisite for learning cyber security, that one can use a computer and the internet, has half a brain and can do basic language and logic (seriously, this is the starting point).

I wouldnt miss out on a cyber security degree if I were you (you admitted to be interested), the salaries are very high..the entrance requirements arent too much either, and the career growth is projected to be quite good.

Plus I think BTEC IT taught you enough. Whats with all this extreme level of self deprecation, lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok, cyber security does not need much level of math, only for those cryptography people and thats not really much of a field for jobs anyway (I think).
I mean youre here online posting on a computer, so I think thats really the basic prerequisite for learning cyber security, that one can use a computer and the internet, has half a brain and can do basic language and logic (seriously, this is the starting point).

I wouldnt miss out on a cyber security degree if I were you (you admitted to be interested), the salaries are very high..the entrance requirements arent too much either, and the career growth is projected to be quite good.

Plus I think BTEC IT taught you enough. Whats with all this extreme level of self deprecation, lol.

Thanks, that was encouraging to read!

I'm just nervous, I initially wanted to do a health related degree but I personally don't think it has good job prospects. I don't want to miss the opportunity either, I've written a personal statement on it looks quite weak :lol:
I'm looking at courses in London, except London met and Kingston which are too far out.

I freaked out when I looked at the maths content at UWL
https://www.uwl.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/cyber-security?start=32&option=33
Went to my third interview today and miraculously I got an email offering me the job (assuming I can actually do the job and they don’t sack me).

So AMA. I earn £47k (c.£175/day + bens) so after tax it’ll be £36k so I technically earn £36k.

did you go to uni or train another way?

Congrats.

What sort of questions (just in general, nothing specific) did they ask to decide if you were worth £47k (given I guess you have little to no experience)? Did they ask Leetcode-style questions, or something different? Can you give a rough outline of the process? £47k seems like a strange, no man's land to me - below Big N (I think even below Amazon lol), but much more than the average grad employer.

How would you rate your university for mathematics (COWI, Russell, or lower)?

I assume you aren't actually getting paid a daily rate? It seems like a strange metric to give
What would it be after say... 5 years in the company?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending