The Student Room Group

Climate strike supported by millions of young people globally

It's going on all over the world right now.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2019/sep/20/climate-strike-global-change-protest-sydney-melbourne-london-new-york-nyc-school-student-protest-greta-thunberg-rally-live-news-latest-updates

Are you involved? Do tell. :woo:

Sadly, many British people won't be aware this is happening, due to a news blackout in the right wing media today. It's almost as if they choose to disregard the millions of voices being raised for the ecology of the planet and our survival, in favour of the interests of their owners in investing in destructive capitalism.

Scroll to see replies

"Grandpa, what is a snowman?"
Poster at the Berlin Climate Change strike rally.
News blackout?

It’s the top story on sky, The Guardian, Global news room , one of the top on the BBC etc.
Reply 3
While I am sympathetic to the aims I have just been treated to a guy on Sky suggesting the planet will be uninhabitable.

These people are completely nuts and have not actually read the studies they claim to espouse.
Reply 4
Emoting over Reasoning, they could turn that into Latin and make it the motto of our indoctrination system. Not by chance, by design from people disadvantaged by Reasoning and to whom Emoting is the only card available. Scary stuff, really.
Mmm... I'm more interested with the Area 51 raid and saving the aliens. Just waiting for for a breaking BBC article to appear.
Original post by Andrew97
News blackout?

It’s the top story on sky, The Guardian, Global news room , one of the top on the BBC etc.

Most people get their news from the Mail and the Sun, neither of which are currently covering it at all. The Mail website is overwhelmingly the most read.
Original post by Rakas21
While I am sympathetic to the aims I have just been treated to a guy on Sky suggesting the planet will be uninhabitable.

These people are completely nuts and have not actually read the studies they claim to espouse.

They aren't nuts. The rate of species destruction now is startling. At some point, it's going to tip over into a complete eco-collapse and if you think we can survive that, it's you who has the problem. Bees for example are in trouble globally and we are completely dependent on them.
Original post by z-hog
Emoting over Reasoning, they could turn that into Latin and make it the motto of our indoctrination system. Not by chance, by design from people disadvantaged by Reasoning and to whom Emoting is the only card available. Scary stuff, really.

How about going someplace where rambling on incoherently is a sensible thing to do?
Reply 9
Original post by Fullofsurprises
How about going someplace where rambling on incoherently is a sensible thing to do?

Yes, you could always consider that instead of bothering us with your infantile stuff.
Original post by z-hog
Yes, you could always consider that instead of bothering us with your infantile stuff.

Nothing infantile about it. The Mayors of a number of the world's largest cities have made a statement just now in support.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2019/sep/20/climate-strike-global-change-protest-sydney-melbourne-london-new-york-nyc-school-student-protest-greta-thunberg-rally-live-news-latest-updates
They aren't nuts. The rate of species destruction now is startling. At some point, it's going to tip over into a complete eco-collapse and if you think we can survive that, it's you who has the problem. Bees for example are in trouble globally and we are completely dependent on them.

Your arguing separate issues. Ecological preservation and climate change are not one and the same.

Eco collapse while possible is not at all predicted to kill us so your panicking over something we’ll have dealt with even at current pace.
The Mail seems to have woken from its slumbers and now has the protests at the top of the front page. They have lots of good photos from across the UK. Their spin is that it's all down to the evil genius of Greta Thunberg and nothing to do with the real crisis. :rolleyes:
Original post by Rakas21
Your arguing separate issues. Ecological preservation and climate change are not one and the same.

Eco collapse while possible is not at all predicted to kill us so your panicking over something we’ll have dealt with even at current pace.

They are very interwoven - climate change is a factor in the ecocrisis, as is industrialised farming, taking land away from wild nature and destroying the environment with waste. These are all part of the current protest movement.
They are very interwoven - climate change is a factor in the ecocrisis, as is industrialised farming, taking land away from wild nature and destroying the environment with waste. These are all part of the current protest movement.

Sure but my point is the alarmism. It is right that we’ve acknowledged the issue and I think that carbon neutrality by 2050 is a fair aim but nothing any research paper I have read suggests that we are risking the apocalypse on that schedule. The Armageddon movement is talking rubbish and advocating taxing ourselves to death to get everything done in 5-10 years.
Original post by Rakas21
Sure but my point is the alarmism. It is right that we’ve acknowledged the issue and I think that carbon neutrality by 2050 is a fair aim but nothing any research paper I have read suggests that we are risking the apocalypse on that schedule. The Armageddon movement is talking rubbish and advocating taxing ourselves to death to get everything done in 5-10 years.

I would suggest keeping up with the topic a little more from sources like New Scientist. The models that give us until 2050 are now quite widely regarded as insufficient. There are also tipping points that happen at CO2 levels that are similar to those that are around already - we can see some of those tipping points, like the melting of Greenland and the destruction of the Siberian permafrost in the ice records. They would induce both significant city-drowning and mass population-moving sea level rises and surging CO2 levels from Methane release.

The world is also blissfully ignorant of other key drivers in global heating that are only just coming into focus, such as the steady rise in air conditioning (https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/01/why-keeping-ourselves-cool-doesnt-have-to-mean-heating-the-planet/) and the widespread and growing use of SF6 (a powerful greenhouse gas) in electrical installations. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49567197)
Most people get their news from the Mail and the Sun, neither of which are currently covering it at all. The Mail website is overwhelmingly the most read.

That’s 2 websites. One of which is now covering them. The sun, as we all know, is for celebrity news rather than world affairs.
Original post by Andrew97
That’s 2 websites. One of which is now covering them. The sun, as we all know, is for celebrity news rather than world affairs.

I've already covered this point. The Mail is the main online news site in the UK.
If you think we can survive that, it's you who has the problem.

No, they're not.

Humans are too resourceful. We can and will survive that.
"Grandpa, what is a snowman?"
Poster at the Berlin Climate Change strike rally.

Good, I hate snow. It’s just cold,wet and makes it impossible to get anywhere not within walking distance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending