The Student Room Group

Where can I find work experience abroad

I'm taking a gap year right now and want to travel abroad to do some work experience but don't know where. Does anyone know the best place to find work?
What do you mean by work experience? Do you mean actually working in a bar or restaurant, or do you mean something like shadowing a lawyer or observing in a hospital?

Presuming you’re a British citizen, in order to work in another country (other than Ireland), you would need a work visa.

You can get working holiday visas for countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand, but you need to be able to demonstrate that you have savings above a certain level to support yourself.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by JackNorris516
I'm taking a gap year right now and want to travel abroad to do some work experience but don't know where. Does anyone know the best place to find work?

Hi,

That sounds like a plan! :colone:

My proven way of looking for a job internationally is LinkedIn. On this platform, they are looking for enthusiastic people from all over the world. If you do not have much experience, there is also a decent number of internship offers.

Additionally, if you are looking for something more adventurous, I would definitely recommend work & travel programs with all my heart. There are millions of websites offering billions of different adventures all around the world. As a starting point, I would suggest a global and prestigious website - https://www.globalworkandtravel.com - you can also get to know there all about the programme. From my experience, I believe that it is a doubly valuable experience for us young people. You have a chance to grow professionally but also personally.

I hope you will find that helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :wink: You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Fingers crossed for you :biggrin:

Julia :h:
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Reply 3
There are lots of work experience placements but you really need to be more clear e.g. stay at home and gain experience or do you want to go to a different country? Here are some gap year internships with options all over, for local in the UK maybe check Google or your uni.

Quick Reply

Latest