The Student Room Group

Should I drop Further Maths - Please Help!!

Hallo,

So I need some help (obviously).

Short Story - I have a 9 in maths but am restarting the further maths syllabus (GCSE). Should I drop it? That will mean I only have 9 GCSEs in one sitting + plus maths (which makes it a total of ten).

LONGER STORY

in year 10 I was doing 11 subjects incl. further maths. I thought I was doing well, the teacher wasn't the best but he wasn't the worst either
(i thought) - I was wrong.

Now I'm in year 11. I did maths gcse early last year (which I kinda regret a bit idk_ and got a 9 with a perfect score.

I have a new further maths teacher who is miles better but we are starting from the beginning again as last year it turns out we were thought utter rubbish.

Similar things are happening in French and History but it is easier for me to catch up in them.

Anyways, my question is should I drop further maths, and give myself more time for other subjects, but only have 9 GCSEs in one sitting? Or should I stick with it until the deadline to drop and see if I improve or should I stick with it all through?

By the way, I am not sure what I want to for uni yet, but I am thinking of engineering or economics.

Spoiler

P.S. I'm anon, because some people from my school are on this Forum
From what I've seen when applying for courses (though saying that they haven't been engineering or economics) the number of GCSEs don't matter tooooo much, well its don't matter if you have 10 or 11. I got 9 GCSEs and met the GCSEs requirements at the courses I'm applying to. They aren't a huge decision factor, just make sure you meet them.
You don't need FM gcse to do FM a-level, and lots of people manage very well at the a-level without it. Don't force yourself to do it if you feel that it'll push your other grades down. If you can manage a bit longer,, it may be a good idea to see what your mock grades would be like and you can decide if they are affected by GCSE FM.
Reply 2
Original post by claudia.2802
From what I've seen when applying for courses (though saying that they haven't been engineering or economics) the number of GCSEs don't matter tooooo much, well its don't matter if you have 10 or 11. I got 9 GCSEs and met the GCSEs requirements at the courses I'm applying to. They aren't a huge decision factor, just make sure you meet them.
You don't need FM gcse to do FM a-level, and lots of people manage very well at the a-level without it. Don't force yourself to do it if you feel that it'll push your other grades down. If you can manage a bit longer,, it may be a good idea to see what your mock grades would be like and you can decide if they are affected by GCSE FM.

Okay, thank you. I'm just worried that some of the universities I am aiming for may have high weightings for GCSEs. And I think a few (universities) don't accept them in more than one sitting. So I'm wondering if the lack of further maths, especially as I took maths early would mean like I would have like a lower weighting or whatever.
Even oxbridge say they don't mind what your GCSEs are, though a few 8s and 9s will look good. They take the school you wen to in context or any other circumstances. I took all my GCSEs in one sitting so it is something I've never looked into. Personally I don't see why it would be, especially that you did very well in maths. It's not like it's taking you 3 threes to do GCSEs. Ik at a-level, those that do the double maths will do maths in one year and FM the next, and Unis are fine with that. But you can always email unis and ask for their opinion if it is made unclear on their website.
Original post by Anonymous
Hallo,

So I need some help (obviously).

Short Story - I have a 9 in maths but am restarting the further maths syllabus (GCSE). Should I drop it? That will mean I only have 9 GCSEs in one sitting + plus maths (which makes it a total of ten).

LONGER STORY

in year 10 I was doing 11 subjects incl. further maths. I thought I was doing well, the teacher wasn't the best but he wasn't the worst either
(i thought) - I was wrong.

Now I'm in year 11. I did maths gcse early last year (which I kinda regret a bit idk_ and got a 9 with a perfect score.

I have a new further maths teacher who is miles better but we are starting from the beginning again as last year it turns out we were thought utter rubbish.

Similar things are happening in French and History but it is easier for me to catch up in them.

Anyways, my question is should I drop further maths, and give myself more time for other subjects, but only have 9 GCSEs in one sitting? Or should I stick with it until the deadline to drop and see if I improve or should I stick with it all through?

By the way, I am not sure what I want to for uni yet, but I am thinking of engineering or economics.

Spoiler

P.S. I'm anon, because some people from my school are on this Forum

you don't need it unless you want to:

do economics at a top college like LSE
maths at some Unis - not oxbridge, but double check to be sure
and engineering - it has a lot of maths so FM makes you look better.

Anything else you are told is cope
Reply 5
Original post by mathspaperfree

Thanks! I am thinking of applying to Warwick or Cambridge or maybe LSE (I know it's early but I liked the look of their course) if I did econ. And probably Imperial if i did engineering.

You said I don't need it. Do you mean the further maths GCSE or A-level?
Reply 6
Even oxbridge say they don't mind what your GCSEs are, though a few 8s and 9s will look good. They take the school you wen to in context or any other circumstances. I took all my GCSEs in one sitting so it is something I've never looked into. Personally I don't see why it would be, especially that you did very well in maths. It's not like it's taking you 3 threes to do GCSEs. Ik at a-level, those that do the double maths will do maths in one year and FM the next, and Unis are fine with that. But you can always email unis and ask for their opinion if it is made unclear on their website.

Okay, thank you very much! My main worry is less on what the actual GCSEs are but the fact that I have done less (10 rather than the average of 11 in my school) and more so only 9 in one sitting. I think I will email the unis. But do you think they'd reply considering I'm only 15?
The only issue, if I had to think of one, would be that you're sitting one less GCSE than most people in your school. Then again, they will not want your grades affected by an extra GCSE sooo you so you. My opinion but that's not a fact please email!!
They will reply, I'd be surprised if they don't. Better to find out now than the start of Yr 13. I recently emailed Nottingham and it took then a few days to get back,but they were very clear with their repsosne.
Hope you get the info you need!!!
Reply 8
The only issue, if I had to think of one, would be that you're sitting one less GCSE than most people in your school. Then again, they will not want your grades affected by an extra GCSE sooo you so you. My opinion but that's not a fact please email!!
They will reply, I'd be surprised if they don't. Better to find out now than the start of Yr 13. I recently emailed Nottingham and it took then a few days to get back,but they were very clear with their repsosne.
Hope you get the info you need!!!

Thanks! Would I be emailing uni admissions?
Reply 9
Original post by mathspaperfree

Just to note - the OP is talking about further maths GCSE - which is not required or even looked at for any of the above. They would require maths A level and further maths A level would be highly desirable.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks! Would I be emailing uni admissions?

Yeah you would be. And no worries, I hope you get everything sorted out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest