The Student Room Group

Maths or economics

Basically I have a big dilemma, I want to do accounting or investment banking and I am unsure of what do so. For investment banking I need to get into prestigious unis but for accounting I need to get a degree. A maths degree is less competitive than economics so therefore I will have a much better chance of getting into investment banking target unis. If I do a maths degree can I still do accounting?
I am doing this because I am really torn between the two careers so I want to leave my options open to do both.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Rolo1234
Basically I have a big dilemma, I want to do accounting or investment banking and I am unsure of what do so. For investment banking I need to get into prestigious unis but for accounting I need to get a degree. A maths degree is less competitive than economics so therefore I will have a much better chance of getting into investment banking target unis. If I do a maths degree can I still do accounting?
I am doing this because I am really torn between the two careers so I want to leave my options open to do both.

You can do any degree and become an accountant, so just do the degree you would need for investment banking because you could do a degree in a totally unrelated subject and still take a accounting qualification so it’s not important for that what degree you do
Reply 2
Original post by emilybond:)
You can do any degree and become an accountant, so just do the degree you would need for investment banking because you could do a degree in a totally unrelated subject and still take a accounting qualification so it’s not important for that what degree you do

Ok thx, I will probably do a maths degree then as it is less competitive
Reply 3
Yes - you can get into accounting with a maths degree. It may prove to be of significant added value in your career.

You don't even need an accounting degree to become an accountant. My friend did a degree in Arabic and French and is now training to become an Accountant with a firm.

The perfect course for you could be MORSE at Warwick.
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
You don't even need an accounting degree to become an accountant. My friend did a degree in Arabic and French and is now training to become an Accountant with a firm.

The perfect course for you could be MORSE at Warwick.

Is it better than economics and is it competitive
I would say so

No such thing as better but yes, it's an extremely valuable degree that will set you up for jobs with extreme cash-money.

It really doesn't matter what you do but you need to get a good grade. University degrees aren't easy. Do either Economics, MORSE, Maths or Finance etc. Acturial Science degree would also be really good.
Reply 8
No such thing as better but yes, it's an extremely valuable degree that will set you up for jobs with extreme cash-money.

It really doesn't matter what you do but you need to get a good grade. University degrees aren't easy. Do either Economics, MORSE, Maths or Finance etc. Acturial Science degree would also be really good.

Would you say I could get in with average gcses for warwick. 3 8's 1 7 3 6

No idea of knowing. You should email them.
Reply 10
No idea of knowing. You should email them.

Thx

You need to focus on a level grades for maths type degrees. I think Warwick morse makes offers to most with decent estimates (unlike economics where it is hard to get an offer).
Who said Maths is less competitive than Economics
Original post by HasanQ585
Who said Maths is less competitive than Economics

Anyone who has looked at the relative chances of a strong candidate getting an offer at top universities (targets for IB etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending