The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know UCAT isn't a huge factor in the application process, but does anyone know roughly what people who got into the course got?
Reply 2
What is UEA's policy on resits?
My son had an offer there for 2019 entry and unfortunately missed his offer with BBB. He is resitting all 3 subjects and adding in an EPQ.
UCAT 2730 - should he reapply?
Original post by Jaybeuk
What is UEA's policy on resits?
My son had an offer there for 2019 entry and unfortunately missed his offer with BBB. He is resitting all 3 subjects and adding in an EPQ.
UCAT 2730 - should he reapply?

Hi there,

UEA's official policy for Medicine is that it considers A Level resit applications if you achieved at least ABB or AAC the first time you took your A Levels.
It may, however, be worth contacting the Admissions Team and clarifying this [email protected] or +44 (0)1603 456161.

I hope this helps - do let us know if you have any more questions.

Emilie - Official UEA TSR Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of East Anglia
Hi there,

UEA's official policy for Medicine is that it considers A Level resit applications if you achieved at least ABB or AAC the first time you took your A Levels.
It may, however, be worth contacting the Admissions Team and clarifying this [email protected] or +44 (0)1603 456161.

I hope this helps - do let us know if you have any more questions.

Emilie - Official UEA TSR Rep

Thanks Emilie - he's emailed them
Reply 5
Just a quick note that UEA have stated the info on their admissions page is wrong and they are now just using UCAT to rank candidates for interview, as well as after interview.
They also say they interviewed all applicants last year and anticipate doing the same this year.
They are no longer scoring GCSEs
Reply 6
Thank you SO much @GANFYD...your advice has been invaluable...UEA too risky now will apply to Leicester instead x
Original post by GANFYD
Just a quick note that UEA have stated the info on their admissions page is wrong and they are now just using UCAT to rank candidates for interview, as well as after interview.
They also say they interviewed all applicants last year and anticipate doing the same this year.
They are no longer scoring GCSEs

Wait so how are they scoring people now?
Reply 8
Original post by DGeorge13
Wait so how are they scoring people now?

Purely UCAT. And apparently they interviewed everybody who applied last year, so no actual cut off was used and anticipate doing the same this year.
They admit their website “needs updating” (ie it’s wrong!!). Not helpful
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Purely UCAT. And apparently they interviewed everybody who applied last year, so no actual cut off was used and anticipate doing the same this year

Is that because they’re interviewing more do you think or because less people applied or more places although all purely speculation. Also completely different to what they spouted at open day and in an email
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Is that because they’re interviewing more do you think or because less people applied or more places although all purely speculation. Also completely different to what they spouted at open day and in an email

A bit of both. 25% increase in medicine places and more options.
Yes, but apparently they have clarified it and this is the case.
Might be worth emailing them back?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
A bit of both. 25% increase in medicine places and more options.
Yes, but apparently they have clarified it and this is the case

They have as it is now on their website
Reply 12
They have as it is now on their website

They stated:
“No points were assigned to GSCE grades this year and there is, at this time, no intention to use them in the next cycle. The text on the website should read as follows:
‘Briefly, all on-time applications proceed to primary screening, where checks are made to see that applicants meet, or are predicted to meet, our minimum academic entry criteria, have a satisfactory personal statement and reference and have taken the UCAT test in the summer prior to submitting the application. Applicants are then invited to interview (from late November/December onwards).
If the number of applications received exceed the number of interview places available those meeting primary screening requirements will also undergo secondary screening, where the UCAT scores will be assessed and ranked against the applicant cohort, with the strongest applicants invited to interview.’”

I looks like they have now updated it, but it really isn’t rocket science......
Some applicants will have done their research and applied based on erroneous information given by the med school themselves, which is really not acceptable
Original post by GANFYD
They stated:
“No points were assigned to GSCE grades this year and there is, at this time, no intention to use them in the next cycle. The text on the website should read as follows:
‘Briefly, all on-time applications proceed to primary screening, where checks are made to see that applicants meet, or are predicted to meet, our minimum academic entry criteria, have a satisfactory personal statement and reference and have taken the UCAT test in the summer prior to submitting the application. Applicants are then invited to interview (from late November/December onwards).
If the number of applications received exceed the number of interview places available those meeting primary screening requirements will also undergo secondary screening, where the UCAT scores will be assessed and ranked against the applicant cohort, with the strongest applicants invited to interview.’”

I looks like they have now updated it, but it really isn’t rocket science......
Some applicants will have done their research and applied based on erroneous information given by the med school themselves, which is really not acceptable

Also slightly confusing especially if you had already submitted an application and then they moved the ground as the lady giving the admissions talk said to someone in front of me when I was asking a question about something to do with the work experience form that a UCAT of around 600 could be balanced by GCSEs and she was like head of admissions and if that person applied as they had very good grades they could find it to be wrong even though they’d done their research and applied based on what she had said.
I should hopefully still be ok though as my UCAT isn’t that bad but it is a bit odd really
Reply 14
Also slightly confusing especially if you had already submitted an application and then they moved the ground as the lady giving the admissions talk said to someone in front of me when I was asking a question about something to do with the work experience form that a UCAT of around 600 could be balanced by GCSEs and she was like head of admissions and if that person applied as they had very good grades they could find it to be wrong even though they’d done their research and applied based on what she had said.
I should hopefully still be ok though as my UCAT isn’t that bad but it is a bit odd really

What is even worse is this is apparently what they did last year, despite stating they were going to use GCSEs 2/3 and UCAT 1/3, so it isn’t even a change in policy yet admissions staff and the website are still wrong.......
Original post by GANFYD
What is even worse is this is apparently what they did last year, despite stating they were going to use GCSEs 2/3 and UCAT 1/3, so it isn’t even a change in policy yet admissions staff and the website are still wrong.......

PRSOM
PRSOM

Original post by GANFYD

Thank you for this information. As this year may require the use of UCAT scores, does anybody know what the UCAT cut offs were for 2018 and 2017 entries? And may be, what the minimum score (or may be average) of those for 2019 entry was (although it was not used for shortlisting for last year)?
Reply 17
It's opaque. Their website says that they do not use a cut-off but clearly, what Norwich Medical School says and what they do is not necessarily the same. UEA was a definite choice for me. With this sudden (and frankly, very late) change, I am now reconsidering my options. Has the school flouted any MSC rules?
Original post by Mel242
It's opaque. Their website says that they do not use a cut-off but clearly, what Norwich Medical School says and what they do is not necessarily the same. UEA was a definite choice for me. With this sudden (and frankly, very late) change, I am now reconsidering my options. Has the school flouted any MSC rules?

I’m still applying as my UCAT currently sits at 90% but I don’t know how I’d feel otherwise. It would be interesting to know whether or not they’ve broken rules but they probably won’t have done somehow...
Hi,

I am resit applicant. I have achieved AAB in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I am predicted an A* in maths and my UKCAT is 678 avg band 2. Should I apply to UEA considering my stats? Would I get an interview? I know UEA accepts resits but in light of their UKCAT ranking process, would my UKCAT score be enough to gain an interview?

Latest

Trending

Trending