The Student Room Group

A-level options

I want to do an engineering degree at RG unis so that I can become an engineer or a chartered accountant and for a level options i chose maths, further maths and physics. Is this a good idea?
Also if i get an 7/8/9 in maths GCSE how hard will would further maths be?
Maths itself is very difficult at Alevel, so Further Maths must be way more...
Reply 2
Original post by stephaniii
Maths itself is very difficult at Alevel, so Further Maths must be way more...

Have you taken it?
I mean, it'll definitely be hard, but if you get grades of like 8/9 you can likely deal with the difficulty. One of my pals who wanted to be an engineer did a similar set of A levels, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and I think Further Maths.
Reply 4
Does anyone know if further maths is good for engineering because on the webites of RG unis, they dont specify further maths but will it be good and helpful?
I dont want to do further maths if it is too hard!
Original post by Rolo1234
I want to do an engineering degree at RG unis so that I can become an engineer or a chartered accountant and for a level options i chose maths, further maths and physics. Is this a good idea?
Also if i get an 7/8/9 in maths GCSE how hard will would further maths be?

Further maths is good for this, however it isn't neccessary, maths in general is very hard and many schools around my area do ask for an 8 at gcses to do it. If you think you can do it go for it, however if you feel like taking maths and another subject would be easier it would be better. Nothing at alevel is easy! Good Luck in your GCSEs!
Have you taken it?

No. I'm in year 11 myself, I went to the open evening at my sixth-form and after seeing further maths I was like... I probably gonna do maths though.
Reply 7
Original post by shiny112
Further maths is good for this, however it isn't neccessary, maths in general is very hard and many schools around my area do ask for an 8 at gcses to do it. If you think you can do it go for it, however if you feel like taking maths and another subject would be easier it would be better. Nothing at alevel is easy! Good Luck in your GCSEs!

Thx
Does anyone know if further maths is good for engineering because on the webites of RG unis, they dont specify further maths but will it be good and helpful?

There is no requirmnet for Further Maths, but you must have maths and depending on the area of engineering, you may need physics or chemistry.
Reply 9
Original post by stephaniii
There is no requirmnet for Further Maths, but you must have maths and depending on the area of engineering, you may need physics or chemistry.

Do you think it will be helpful?

If you want to do engineering at uni, do further maths.

It is the best A-level option, engineering is essentially applied maths.

Is it difficult? well every person is different many people find maths is more logical and easier then other A-levels. I would say if you want to do further math, GCSE maths should seem fairly easy.
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
If you want to do engineering at uni, do further maths.

It is the best A-level option, engineering is essentially applied maths.

Is it difficult? well every person is different many people find maths is more logical and easier then other A-levels. I would say if you want to do further math, GCSE maths should seem fairly easy.

Thx
Reply 12
I was going to do maths, physics and economics but now i am considering maths, FM and physics, thx!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest