The Student Room Group

Maths A level projectile question help!

I'm stuck on part 1. of the question. I looked at the mark scheme and it says the initial velocity is P. I am a bit confused as to why it is not Pcosα. Please could someone help me understand this question.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous_4657
I'm stuck on part 1. of the question. I looked at the mark scheme and it says the initial velocity is P. I am a bit confused as to why it is not Pcosα. Please could someone help me understand this question.

If the initial velocity were v in the direction that the projectile is moving, then yes, the initial horizontal velocity would be v cos(α). But the initial velocity is pi + qj, which means that the horizontal component of the velocity (the bit in the i direction) is p and the vertical component of the velocity (the bit in the j direction( is q.
Since its a vector, you don't need to apply sin or cos when resolving the forces
Original post by ApexCoder
Since its a vector, you don't need to apply sin or cos when resolving the forces

Thanks. How come? it it just a rule that I have got to learn?
Thanks. How come? it it just a rule that I have got to learn?

Answer this question for me, why do you use sin or cos in the first place
Original post by ApexCoder
Answer this question for me, why do you use sin or cos in the first place

Don’t you draw a triangle and resolve forces? Maybe I’m wrong
Don’t you draw a triangle and resolve forces? Maybe I’m wrong

Basically, you use either sin or cos, to find the vertical or horizontal magnitude of a force
Reply 7
You are resolving vertically and you are already given a vertical magnitude of the velocity (or the vertical component of the velocity) by the j-component of the velocity vector.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes for a vector (a force, a velocity, impulse etc.), the direction of it given to you may not be acting along the direction you are resolving in.

This is why when finding a vector's effect (in the direction you are resolving in), you have to use sin or cos.
(edited 4 years ago)
it it just a rule that I have got to learn?

No. You need to understand why, then you have nothing to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest