The Student Room Group

Maths is this cheating?

So when I did my maths mock the paper my school have had very similar questions to the 2019 paper. Like the only difference was that they changed the values around and asked for slightly different outcomes for example instead of asking for the total amount it will ask for the amount of profit( this is just an example). But some were the exact same but the numbers were different.

I just looked at the paper but not the mark scheme and revised the topics.

Is this cheating, I mean since it’s open the public anyway.
Reply 1
its cheating but who cares. not ur fault tehy are public
No because you revised what you needed to know?
The purpose of mocks is to gauge how well you will do in the exam, and using this method will not help with that. It may not be cheating, but it is certainly a waste of everyones times.
Original post by Smoky saif
So when I did my maths mock the paper my school have had very similar questions to the 2019 paper. Like the only difference was that they changed the values around and asked for slightly different outcomes for example instead of asking for the total amount it will ask for the amount of profit( this is just an example). But some were the exact same but the numbers were different.

The 2019 papers are locked for a reason - yes this is cheating.
Yes, mocks are meant to be completely unseen, just like the real thing

I mean if u were just practicing papers then no but if u looked at the mark scheme and revised it like a lot of others then yes
Reply 7

Mocks are there to help you find out your weaknesses and prepare for the real thing . So since you were helped by seeing the 2019 paper, your mock was pretty pointless and whether it was cheating or not is irrelevant.
Reply 8
Original post by Sir Cumference
Mocks are there to help you find out your weaknesses and prepare for the real thing . So since you were helped by seeing the 2019 paper, your mock was pretty pointless and whether it was cheating or not is irrelevant.

Well not really, as I actually revised the topics properly before the mock and I know them sooo nah I disagree. Not a complete waste
Reply 9
Well not really, as I actually revised the topics properly before the mock and I know them sooo nah I disagree. Not a complete waste

You missed an excellent chance to take an unseen exam and find out what grade you're at currently. Please consider this next time.
You missed an excellent chance to take an unseen exam and find out what grade you're at currently. Please consider this next time.

I mean I took them last year too so yeah
Reply 11
I mean I took them last year too so yeah

I recommend thinking more carefully before taking your next mock. Think about whether you care more about getting a good grade in a mock or getting a good grade in the real thing.
I recommend thinking more carefully before taking your next mock. Think about whether you care more about getting a good grade in a mock or getting a good grade in the real thing.

Ummm yeah I did think about that. But u see, I actually learnt the topics that came up and mastered them because I did loads of questions. Ok look I’m not here to argue anymore this benefited me in the long run too.

Quick Reply

Latest