The Student Room Group

Terrible Mocks

I feel very unmotivated and scared because I feel like I did really bad in my Year 11 mocks. I want to go to my school's sixth form and they require you to get Five GCSE’s at Grade 4 and 6's for your chosen A-levels and the college I want to go to also requires Five GCSE’s at Grade 4 but they recommend me getting 7's for both my Physics and Maths. I've been terrible at my science mocks lately all my other subjects im doing fine and have been getting a minimum grade of a 5 but in the real thing hopefully 7/8s . However for my science mocks I feel like I got 3's and 4's because i am very terrible at science overall. In my year 10 mock I got 3 for Chem and 2 4's on Bio and Physics. And in my Year 11 I feel like i just scraped 4's for Bio and Physics and maybe a 5 in Chem even though its my weakest subject out of the three. The thing I am worried about is I will move to foundation tier since I haven't improved much throughout the year. In both my Chem and Bio I have been consistently getting 5's and for Physics I consistently getting 4's.

I am very worried and I do not want to move to foundation tier for my sciences at all because this limits my availability of subjects at a-level.

The thing I want to ask is:
1. I am not sure if I will be moving to foundation tier for my sciences and I want to do good in Physics and get a 7 minimum so when is the deadline that you should be already reaching the target grade in this case all my sciences are predicted a 6? (We haven't finished context for Paper 2 yet)

2. Will my mocks be used to apply for a college/sixth form or your predicted grades?

3. Do I still have time to reach my dream grades of getting 6's 7's 8's even If i did bad in my mocks?

4. Do we have another set of mocks prior 2 months before GCSE's? Since we were not assessed on Paper 2 for the Sciences and Paper 2 for English Lit/Lang etc.

I don't want my mock results to affect my mental health and start getting pissed but I am really worried about the science subjects in general because I literally do bad in those overall and I am not sure if I will improve before I get put to foundation tier which I dislike.

ps. I did loads of revision yet I still do bad in these science tests. However I have never printed out any exam questions because I am not sure how I should assess the topics I am struggling with because overall I just do bad in the sciences. In general I feel very unmotivated to revise for science even though I really want to do A-Level Physics
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Try not to worry too much about mocks - there's still quite awhile left until the real exams. I would suggest talking to a teacher to see where they think you're at (a lot of teachers mark mocks really harshly, and you might actually have done better than you think - if your mock papers were actual past papers, you could look at grade boundaries, as your school might use inflated grade boundaries) and ask for advice on how to improve. Maybe spend five or ten minutes a day doing work on a topic you don't understand as well as you want to. As for whether you'll have another set of mocks, it really depends on your school. It's likely you'll improve from your current grades - we were told I believe (though my memories of GCSEs are a bit hazy, since I'm now in uni) that it's not uncommon to go up two grades from Christmas mocks, and it's definitely possible to improve further. Good luck, and hopefully your GCSEs'll go fine - it sounds like your doing a great job in most subjects, so make sure you don't lose sight if the overall picture, and if the worst comes to the worst, the college may well accept you anyway if they only recommend those grades for Physics and Maths.
Original post by aMaffia
I feel very unmotivated and scared because I feel like I did really bad in my Year 11 mocks. I want to go to my school's sixth form and they require you to get Five GCSE’s at Grade 4 and 6's for your chosen A-levels and the college I want to go to also requires Five GCSE’s at Grade 4 but they recommend me getting 7's for both my Physics and Maths. I've been terrible at my science mocks lately all my other subjects im doing fine and have been getting a minimum grade of a 5 but in the real thing hopefully 7/8s . However for my science mocks I feel like I got 3's and 4's because i am very terrible at science overall. In my year 10 mock I got 3 for Chem and 2 4's on Bio and Physics. And in my Year 11 I feel like i just scraped 4's for Bio and Physics and maybe a 5 in Chem even though its my weakest subject out of the three. The thing I am worried about is I will move to foundation tier since I haven't improved much throughout the year. In both my Chem and Bio I have been consistently getting 5's and for Physics I consistently getting 4's.

I am very worried and I do not want to move to foundation tier for my sciences at all because this limits my availability of subjects at a-level.

1. I am not sure if I will be moving to foundation tier for my sciences and I want to do good in Physics and get a 7 minimum so when is the deadline that you should be already reaching the target grade in this case all my sciences are predicted a 6? (We haven't finished context for Paper 2 yet)

2. Will my mocks be used to apply for a college/sixth form or your predicted grades?

3. Do I still have time to reach my dream grades of getting 6's 7's 8's even If i did bad in my mocks?

4. Do we have another set of mocks prior 2 months before GCSE's? Since we were not assessed on Paper 2 for the Sciences and Paper 2 for English Lit/Lang etc.

I don't want my mock results to affect my mental health and start getting pissed but I am really worried about the science subjects in general because I literally do bad in those overall and I am not sure if I will improve before I get put to foundation tier which I dislike.

ps. I did loads of revision yet I still do bad in these science tests. However I have never printed out any exam questions because I am not sure how I should assess the topics I am struggling with because overall I just do bad in the sciences. In general I feel very unmotivated to revise for science even though I really want to do A-Level Physics

LOL dont take these mocks seriously, you dont even need that good grades to go to college
I got like 4 in french now I am in 6th form
Reply 3
Original post by Gribby2
Try not to worry too much about mocks - there's still quite awhile left until the real exams. I would suggest talking to a teacher to see where they think you're at (a lot of teachers mark mocks really harshly, and you might actually have done better than you think - if your mock papers were actual past papers, you could look at grade boundaries, as your school might use inflated grade boundaries) and ask for advice on how to improve. Maybe spend five or ten minutes a day doing work on a topic you don't understand as well as you want to. As for whether you'll have another set of mocks, it really depends on your school. It's likely you'll improve from your current grades - we were told I believe (though my memories of GCSEs are a bit hazy, since I'm now in uni) that it's not uncommon to go up two grades from Christmas mocks, and it's definitely possible to improve further. Good luck, and hopefully your GCSEs'll go fine - it sounds like your doing a great job in most subjects, so make sure you don't lose sight if the overall picture, and if the worst comes to the worst, the college may well accept you anyway if they only recommend those grades for Physics and Maths.

our mocks were based of This Years 2019 Exams so yeah it was a past paper but you cannot find it online
Original post by aMaffia
our mocks were based of This Years 2019 Exams so yeah it was a past paper but you cannot find it online

Since you already did your mocks you should be able to ask your teacher to receive your papers and check where you went wrong
Reply 5
Original post by kanako231
Since you already did your mocks you should be able to ask your teacher to receive your papers and check where you went wrong

Can you still improve after your mocks? This is a wake up call for me because my revision techniques are bad.
Reply 6
Original post by aMaffia

DO NOT STRESSSSS!!!!!!! use your mocks as a guideline on which areas you need to improve on, also try change up your revision techniques maybe the way you're revising right now is not working for you, for science just memorise the mark scheme because for Edexcel and aqa there's usually a trend in questions they ask every year. JUST DONT STRESSS OVER MOCKS! i need help on english paper 2 and maths calculator tho LOL

Quick Reply

Latest