The Student Room Group

A levels vs depression

I have mock exams for my alevels. Lately I’ve been feeling a sense of hopelessness. Due to

- having no offers yet from university due to choosing veterinary medicine (competitive course)

- even if I take a gap year my future is uncertain due to being a care leaver and knowing that my stay in the foster home is temporary. What will it be like in the gap year? Do I have to get a job to earn my stay or do I move back to my biological family? So im worrying about that due to getting no offers

- studying a lot but the recent biology mock the paper was really thick and I ran out of time and now im anxious I will run out of time in the real exams. This has never happened before and the paper has never been this thick… idk if my teacher just put a lot of questions or this reflects the real exam

I have a mock exam in a day (day after tomorrow) and I’m trying to study for it but all I feel is a lack of motivation and again hopelessness. I keep telling myself it’s for the future me but I can’t even process and absorb the information I’m studying anymore and just break down into tears. Should I push through the depression or just take a break today and try again tomorrow though potentially pushing me back a few hours of studying
I would give yourself a break this evening, they are only mocks after all and you are clearly struggling. If you carry on struggling it is important that you do not suffer in silence - speak to someone at school or your GP if you can.
Original post by eternity-4
I have mock exams for my alevels. Lately I’ve been feeling a sense of hopelessness. Due to
- having no offers yet from university due to choosing veterinary medicine (competitive course)
- even if I take a gap year my future is uncertain due to being a care leaver and knowing that my stay in the foster home is temporary. What will it be like in the gap year? Do I have to get a job to earn my stay or do I move back to my biological family? So im worrying about that due to getting no offers
- studying a lot but the recent biology mock the paper was really thick and I ran out of time and now im anxious I will run out of time in the real exams. This has never happened before and the paper has never been this thick… idk if my teacher just put a lot of questions or this reflects the real exam
I have a mock exam in a day (day after tomorrow) and I’m trying to study for it but all I feel is a lack of motivation and again hopelessness. I keep telling myself it’s for the future me but I can’t even process and absorb the information I’m studying anymore and just break down into tears. Should I push through the depression or just take a break today and try again tomorrow though potentially pushing me back a few hours of studying

Prioritise yourself always so take a break if that is what you need no matter what these mocks aren’t the real thing and there is still time to be in a good standing for them - take as much time as you need and come back to it when you can even if it is ‘too late’ for that particular exam you know what your capable of in the real thing :smile:
I'm guessing you do either biology or chemistry for a levels I would advice you to just complete past papet papers for the mock paper you are doing because my school tends to take questions from past papers and they will probably use the 2023 past papers . Take a break and decompress it's okay . I don't have the same circumstances as you but I have no medicine offers and decided I will take a gap year. I understand your worries for after school and will advice you to speak to an adult about this . But for now forget about everything else and focus on A levels at least for these next 2 months forget about your worries with univeristy . Focus to get the grades required for your course . It's not then end !! 💕

Hey, I completely feel you, I have a lot applied to vet med and received rejections and have a terrible home life similar to yours and a gap year is not an option. If you go in my student room thing called “vet med rejections need advise” alot of people were really helpful. Mocks aren’t fully representative you’ll be okay, stay positive, there’s always clearing (not ideal but you can still do biovet science or an animal related degree and escape your home life)

Quick Reply

Latest