The Student Room Group

Think I have failed year 12

I think I failed my mocks and now I'm scared that I wont be able to get into uni. Please dont be like its your fault that you didnt revise I have circumstances that prevent and limit and I have tried telling trusted adults.
I really want to go to a Midlands Russell Group Uni to study Law LLB and now that's gone out of the window.
Does anyone have any advice? :smile:
Reply 1
Well they’re only mocks. If you turn it around for the real exams next year you’ll be fine. You could explain your circumstances to your teachers and ask if they can still predict you good grades
Reply 2
Original post by Max1357913
Well they’re only mocks. If you turn it around for the real exams next year you’ll be fine. You could explain your circumstances to your teachers and ask if they can still predict you good grades

I can't explain my circumstances and I tried to Social Services and they never got back to my case lol I feel like I have so much potential and one test I do in year 12 shouldn't affect that
I was in a similar situation. My teachers predicted me AAC so I couldn't apply to a good law school after A-Levels, even though I ended up with A*A*A. Took a gap year and will be starting my law degree at a russell group in september.
Reply 4
Original post by LightHeavyweight
I was in a similar situation. My teachers predicted me AAC so I couldn't apply to a good law school after A-Levels, even though I ended up with A*A*A. Took a gap year and will be starting my law degree at a russell group in september.

Would you say its better to take a gap year or do law with a foundation year at a non russell like bcu or cov
Reply 5
Original post by 6usernametsr
I think I failed my mocks and now I'm scared that I wont be able to get into uni. Please dont be like its your fault that you didnt revise I have circumstances that prevent and limit and I have tried telling trusted adults.
I really want to go to a Midlands Russell Group Uni to study Law LLB and now that's gone out of the window.

Students that have not done well in these mocks are often allowed to retake their mocks, either later this term, or in September, before predicted grades are set. Do you not have this option at your school? Ask if you are not sure.
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
Students that have not done well in these mocks are often allowed to retake their mocks, either later this term, or in September, before predicted grades are set. Do you not have this option at your school? Ask if you are not sure.

They do but these are the main factor if that makes sense
Reply 7
They do but these are the main factor if that makes sense

Not sure I understand. If they allow you to retake them in say Sep, and you work your backside off through the summer and get good grades, there will be no reason why they would no predict you good grades, which should then allow you to get into a good uni.
Reply 8

Heya!
You can always talk to your teacher about mocks and predictions and see what they advise. Perhaps they could let you retake the mocks if there are special circumstances. In the worst scenario, you can also take a gap year after alvls if you need anything redone or reapply due to mock grades, lots of people do it so don't worry :smile:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 9
Original post by lalexm
Not sure I understand. If they allow you to retake them in say Sep, and you work your backside off through the summer and get good grades, there will be no reason why they would no predict you good grades, which should then allow you to get into a good uni.

apparently all tests are taken into consideration
Would you say its better to take a gap year or do law with a foundation year at a non russell like bcu or cov

I think a foundation year at a crap uni would be more hassle than its worth. Do a gap year so you can get a job, save up, and ideally get some legal work experience would be my advice if you were choosing between the two. For now though, just make sure you excel in year 13.
Reply 11
Original post by lalexm

My school doesn't offer resits, so what can I do?
I won't be able to apply to my dream course bc of my terrible predicted, so what options do i have??
Reply 12
Original post by Be_alone
My school doesn't offer resits, so what can I do?
I won't be able to apply to my dream course bc of my terrible predicted, so what options do i have??

If you have talked to your teachers, and there really is no way to improve your predictions, then I’m afraid you might need to reset your expectations regarding unis, especially as law is one of the most competitive subjects. You can still be ambitious and apply for one uni above your predictions, but you need a couple at your predictions, and one or two safer options below your predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest