The Student Room Group

appealing gcse grades

hi so i did my first english language paper yesterday and despite getting 8s and 9s in my mocks, mainly due to doing extremely well in the creative writing paper, i feel that i did terribly due to how bad i found the writing prompt to be. i struggled to think of a story, as many things i write are more focused on emotion and thoughts and aren't overly upbeat, but if im writing something for a wildlife magazine i cant really do something that isnt cheerful. i also didnt include much advanced vocabulary because, again, the words didnt fit with the prompt. due to how well i did in my mocks and a natural talent in creative writing, is it possible that if i am unsatisfied with the results when i get them (anything below a 7 will be bad for me) i can appeal it and they will take mocks and what my teachers have to say into account? or is appealing the grade solely it being remarked and thats it. if any help could be provided i would appreciate it as english language is the main thing im supposed to be doing well in and i cant spend the next ten weeks stressing over how badly im going to do.
Original post by neilsussyrega
hi so i did my first english language paper yesterday and despite getting 8s and 9s in my mocks, mainly due to doing extremely well in the creative writing paper, i feel that i did terribly due to how bad i found the writing prompt to be. i struggled to think of a story, as many things i write are more focused on emotion and thoughts and aren't overly upbeat, but if im writing something for a wildlife magazine i cant really do something that isnt cheerful. i also didnt include much advanced vocabulary because, again, the words didnt fit with the prompt. due to how well i did in my mocks and a natural talent in creative writing, is it possible that if i am unsatisfied with the results when i get them (anything below a 7 will be bad for me) i can appeal it and they will take mocks and what my teachers have to say into account? or is appealing the grade solely it being remarked and thats it. if any help could be provided i would appreciate it as english language is the main thing im supposed to be doing well in and i cant spend the next ten weeks stressing over how badly im going to do.

I think you can retake if you are unhappy with your grade, but I think they only use mocks as reconsideration if you miss the exam and both contingency days.
Don't quote me on that though I'm not a teacher.
Reply 2

You can appeal for marking to be reviewed - your mocks are irrelevant. You can resit in November.
Reply 3

omg i relate to this so well
i did eduqas, and omg i almost criedd
im fairly good with english, especially creative writing
BUT omg the prompts, they were kinda weird and i just had to pick the hardest one (write a story that ends...and I don't miss her at all)
not only did i run out of time, i use no high vocab, the plot wasnt even that good tbh
yeah, i really was hoping to get a 7 too or soemthing higher and anything below that id porbably cry cuz i have high expectations with myself for english but now....im probs likely to geta 4....english is my strong point cuz i alwaysss write stories and stuff but now, ugh, im disgusted with myself....but you just need to accept that whats done is done, you cant change anything....thats what ive been telling myself for the past 24 hours....like ill be ohhh i coulda added that or done this but its too late now, so u just gota accept it and move on ig
appealing is getting more marks to up your grade, not really the mocks i havent heard of that before
good luck with ur other gcses and try ur ultimate best in paper 2
good luck and i wish u all the best <3
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest