The Student Room Group

Determine speed of man and acceleration of bus

Question: https://prnt.sc/qn9s1e

The time a faster object overtakes a slower one is at the point where the distance travelled & time taken to travel that distance is the same for both objects. So I tried to make the 2 displacements where t = 30 equal to each other, but I can't exactly 'solve' the equation as I have 2 unknowns: 50 + 450a = 30u
Reply 1
There is a second equation
Just catches bus implies their speeds are equal when he gets to the bus
See photo
Reply 2
FE2D98B4-5113-4287-8E75-6451053CF0BF.jpeg
Reply 3
Original post by swinroy
There is a second equation
Just catches bus implies their speeds are equal when he gets to the bus
See photo

Are the speeds always equal at the time a faster object overtakes a slower one, or is this the only exception?
Original post by TSR360
Are the speeds always equal at the time a faster object overtakes a slower one, or is this the only exception?

No, they're not always equal. The operative word here is "JUST", as in he "just catches the bus". If he'd been going any slower he wouldn't have caught it. If faster, he'd have overtaken it. Just catches it implies at the time of meeting they were going at the same speed.
Reply 6
Original post by TSR360

This is a special case or as you say an exception because:
If you only just catch the bus, you must be travelling at the same speed or you will hurt yourself when you hit the road by just missing it.
ONLY JUST is the key in this problem

Quick Reply

Latest