The Student Room Group

Age ratings in games?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
It is probably more conservative as they have to serve as the classification board for the entirety of Europe rather than what is appropriate in just the UK. I higher level of realism with the upscaled textures is likely to have been what caused the increase.

I am unsure of how they are rated by PEGI but Noclip did a good documentary on the ESRB recently.

Do you really think being in HD makes that much difference here though. 3yrs worth?

start at 0:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jvYaUEu8SM

Interesting link, I shall watch some when i've got time. would be great to see one on pegi though.....
If legislation was passed requiring video games to have legally binding age ratings by the BBFC or otherwise it would be a major blow to programming freedom. It would effectively outlaw freeware downloadable games and open source games.

It would also be hard to enforce if was confined to Britain as games could be uploaded to the internet or app stores in countries where there are no age ratings then downloaded in Britain.
Reply 22
Original post by Kevexia
Well how old is your nephew? At the age of 17, not gonna lie I always love a good Lego game

He's 11 with conservative parents.

I bought him a toy gun when he was younger and they took it away and wouldn't let him play with it
Original post by ANM775
Do you really think being in HD makes that much difference here though. 3yrs worth?

start at 0:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jvYaUEu8SM

Interesting link, I shall watch some when i've got time. would be great to see one on pegi though.....

Honestly the whole rating thing means absolutely nothing to me, I haven't followed it since I was 9 playing GTA3.
Original post by ANM775
I could I suppose, although I'd like to buy him a decent game ....but last time the game I bought wasn't a good one because I literally couldn't find anything that was "suitable"

I know If I buy him anything which is more than a year away from his age his parents are bound to take it away.

oh ok
Im general I think that most age ratings for games are inadequate. I can remember games which got a 16 year rating because of bloody scenes in the sequences and animations! ridiculous.
Does anyone actually follow the age ratings anyway? lol
(edited 4 years ago)
It doesnt really matter what the age ratings say. Make your own decisions about what you want to play. If you’re under 18 most stores don’t really care anyway.
Ultimately age ratings are a guide. but in real-world practice they're only for those who are mentally troubled or have a condition (but then who can tell if yours is?)

Just use yourself as a guide. We were all kids. I was way more touched by the grittier stuff like the TMNT film (1990) and Sonic SATAM. Watching Terminator and Robocop at 7 didn't turn me into a serial killer, because why would it? It's a film.

(Although watching Ace Ventura did turn me into Ace Ventura.)
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Does anyone actually follow the age ratings anyway? lol

I certainly don't! I decide for myself to buy the game, no matter what the age rating thinks about the violence.
Original post by ANM775
He's 11 with conservative parents.

I bought him a toy gun when he was younger and they took it away and wouldn't let him play with it

Aren't one of his parents a sibling? If so can't you persuade them into allowing him to play a game a little over his age range? you could use the FACT that video games have no link to violent tendencies in children.
Reply 31
Original post by Hasan Naqvi
Aren't one of his parents a sibling? If so can't you persuade them into allowing him to play a game a little over his age range? you could use the FACT that video games have no link to violent tendencies in children.

Yes, but Considering the way the toy gun was taken I really don't think there's much room for negotiation in terms of suitability. When I first bought the gun .. my parents saw it and were not happy, they then influenced my brother and he decided it was not suitable and for it to be taken away. I protested about the gun being taken but it was no use.

I very much doubt I'll be able to persuade anyone to let me buy him a 16 rated game when he's 11
Reply 32
3jaaiu.jpg
Reply 33
Original post by ANM775
Yes, but Considering the way the toy gun was taken I really don't think there's much room for negotiation in terms of suitability. When I first bought the gun .. my parents saw it and were not happy, they then influenced my brother and he decided it was not suitable and for it to be taken away. I protested about the gun being taken but it was no use.

I very much doubt I'll be able to persuade anyone to let me buy him a 16 rated game when he's 11

The crazy thing was, that when we were kids our parents bought me and my brother toy guns

Don't know why they've got so conservative all of a sudden. Maybe they've been watching too much news.....
Original post by Glaz
literally no one cares about age ratings. No one pays attention so who really cares, it could be rated a 12 or a 99 but it wouldn't make any difference

Exactly. Gamers should know by themselves what games they buy. Age ratings are outdated, young gamers even under 18 have another sense for violence anyway.
Reply 35
I think it’s more to do with the themes of the games that make them inappropriate for children. 50 shades of grey is about bondage and hardcore sex, which just isn’t appropriate for a 12 year old to read, even if they understand the words. Same with a video game. Assassin’s Creed involves sexualised images of women, swearing, rape and sexual violence etc, which just isn’t appropriate for a 12 year old to experience, despite the fact that of course they know how to play the game.
I think the age restrictions are pretty useless anyway since parents buy games for their kids regardless of their age.
Original post by SophieB123
I think the age restrictions are pretty useless anyway since parents buy games for their kids regardless of their age.

It's even less relevant given digital stores so there isn't even any way to effectively verify age anyway
They're good to have but the rules always get ignored when it comes to age.
Original post by SophieB123

You are right. If the parents don't even take the ratings seriously, they are really redundant.

Quick Reply

Latest