The Student Room Group

independent at 29?

r 1 minute ago #1

Hi, have just started part time ou study myself, however my son moved back during covid, basically left his full time job to do music production full time whilst living with me.
He lives with me and I am responsible for bills etc.
When researching the payments, I said he was an independent student as he's over 25 and said he shouldn't say he lives with me because he is supposed to be able to fund himself.
I am only on minium wage, and trying to keep both of us fed and watered is pretty hard, as he can't afford board. There's nearly £2,000 difference because the independent payment and living with parents payment.
I would have thought that my parental financial responsibilites would have stopped by age 29? or am I incorrect?
Original post by adyslexicgnome
r 1 minute ago #1

Hi, have just started part time ou study myself, however my son moved back during covid, basically left his full time job to do music production full time whilst living with me.
When researching the payments, I said he was an independent student as he's over 25 and said he shouldn't say he lives with me because he is supposed to be able to fund himself.
I am only on minium wage, and trying to keep both of us fed and watered is pretty hard, as he can't afford board. There's nearly £2,000 difference because the independent payment and living with parents payment.
I would have thought that my parental financial responsibilites would have stopped by age 29? or am I incorrect?

Hi there,

It's correct that, since your son is over 25, he's entitled to the maximum Maintenance Loan automatically. However, if a student still lives at the parental home then they get the lower 'parental' rate: this applies regardless of their age.

Thanks, Graeme
However if he lived independently for a few years previous, away from the parental home doesn't this make him an independent student?
Are there any benefits I can claim to help care for "my dependent child", child support perhaps?
However if he lived independently for a few years previous, away from the parental home doesn't this make him an independent student?

Are there any benefits I can claim to help care for "my dependent child", child support perhaps?
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

It's correct that, since your son is over 25, he's entitled to the maximum Maintenance Loan automatically. However, if a student still lives at the parental home then they get the lower 'parental' rate: this applies regardless of their age.

Thanks, Graeme
r 1 minute ago #1

f you’re under 25 and do not financially depend on your parents

Your household income does not include your parents’ income if:

you have supported yourself financially for at least 3 years
you have been married or in a civil partnership at any time before the start of your course
you spent at least 13 weeks in the care of your local authority before you turned 16 - in this case, you might be able to apply as a care leaver
you’ve had no contact with your parents for over a year - in this case, you might be able to apply as an ‘estranged student’

If you’re over 25

Your household income will not include your parents income if you are over 25, as you will be classed as an ‘independent student’

I can't find anywhere where it says that if your over 25 we will give you a reduced rate. Many thanks for your help in this, however as you can imagine it is causing a great strain between me and my grown independent son, who happens to live with me.
f you’re under 25 and do not financially depend on your parents

Your household income does not include your parents’ income if:

you have supported yourself financially for at least 3 years
you have been married or in a civil partnership at any time before the start of your course
you spent at least 13 weeks in the care of your local authority before you turned 16 - in this case, you might be able to apply as a care leaver
you’ve had no contact with your parents for over a year - in this case, you might be able to apply as an ‘estranged student’

If you’re over 25

Your household income will not include your parents income if you are over 25, as you will be classed as an ‘independent student’

I can't find anywhere where it says that if your over 25 we will give you a reduced rate. Many thanks for your help in this, however as you can imagine it is causing a great strain between me and my grown independent son, who happens to live with me.

Hi there, We have a number of ways of assessing funding for students. We have Living with parents rate, Living away from home rate and Living in London rate. Your son will be eligible for the living with parents rate if he lives with yourself during the academic year. Thanks, Angela
Hi, could you please tell me where I can find the information stating this for over 25. I am confused as regards to this statement
"If you’re over 25

Your household income will not include your parents income if you are over 25, as you will be classed as an ‘independent student’"

The living with parents to which you refer to, seems to be for students who are under 25, or who haven't lived away from the family home for 3 years.

Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, We have a number of ways of assessing funding for students. We have Living with parents rate, Living away from home rate and Living in London rate. Your son will be eligible for the living with parents rate if he lives with yourself during the academic year. Thanks, Angela
As I stated, I am on a minium wage job, with a 40 mile round trip to go to work, recovering from cancer, with inflation hitting record highs.

I am seriously ripping my hair out, as I cannot afford to support him, which causes a great distress. As I understand it, I am left with no alternatives but to make him an independent student, by asking him to find alternative accomodation.

Which in my eyes he already is.....

As stated ""If you’re over 25

Your household income will not include your parents income if you are over 25, as you will be classed as an ‘independent student"
As I stated, I am on a minium wage job, with a 40 mile round trip to go to work, recovering from cancer, with inflation hitting record highs.

I am seriously ripping my hair out, as I cannot afford to support him, which causes a great distress. As I understand it, I am left with no alternatives but to make him an independent student, by asking him to find alternative accomodation.

Which in my eyes he already is.....

As stated ""If you’re over 25

Your household income will not include your parents income if you are over 25, as you will be classed as an ‘independent student"

Hi there, As the form asks 'where will you be living during the academic year' the student will need to select 'living at home' this would then assess for the living at home rate as this is what reflects the living arrangement. No income details are required from parents for the applications to be assessed. Thanks, Angela
O.K, but in relation to helping with the situation, and to where it states, that although he is an independent student, he will get a reduced rate, because he isn't an independent student, as he is living with a minium wage parent at the age of 29?

Could you please show me where it discusses the reduced rates for over 25 independent students who have lived away from home for 3 years is please?

This is just a question about where you live? Not a statement that you are not an independent person?

Could you please give me details of what funding parents of "independant" students can get because of reduced maintainance loans?
O.K, but in relation to helping with the situation, and to where it states, that although he is an independent student, he will get a reduced rate, because he isn't an independent student, as he is living with a minium wage parent at the age of 29?

Could you please show me where it discusses the reduced rates for over 25 independent students who have lived away from home for 3 years is please?

This is just a question about where you live? Not a statement that you are not an independent person?

Could you please give me details of what funding parents of "independant" students can get because of reduced maintainance loans?

Hi there, He will be entitled to the maximum Maintenance Loan as an Independent Student as over the age of 25, it wont be the reduced rate it will be the 'living at home' rate. He can contact us via his online account or by calling us on 0300 100 0607 and we can discuss what amount he can potentially be awarded. Thanks, Angela

Hi there,

Students over the age of 25 are automatically assessed as an independent student, therefore the parents of that student are not required to provide any income details to support or link to the application. The part you are referring to is just the living location to confirm if the student will be living on their own throughout the academic year or if they will be living with their parents which is a separate part of the application.

The Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan is only awarded if the student is attending a placement year or NHS funded year.

Thanks, Clare
So does that mean that he can get the over 25 rate for £9,978, that is a great relief, could you please tell me what he has to do for this.
Many thanks
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

Students over the age of 25 are automatically assessed as an independent student, therefore the parents of that student are not required to provide any income details to support or link to the application. The part you are referring to is just the living location to confirm if the student will be living on their own throughout the academic year or if they will be living with their parents which is a separate part of the application.

The Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan is only awarded if the student is attending a placement year or NHS funded year.

Thanks, Clare
So does that mean that he can get the over 25 rate for £9,978, that is a great relief, could you please tell me what he has to do for this.
Many thanks

Hi there, He would just apply as an Independent Student but select ;living at home; in the course details section. He can either apply online or via the paper application. Thanks, Angela
I think you are missing the point, the calculator and calculations do not work if you are living at home past the age of 25.
After the age of 25 you are classed as being an nondepdant indepenant student, e.g. you would get £9,978.

My son is 29, he is not a dependant child at the age of 29, I cannot claim child benefit, or any other benefits even though I am on minium wage.

When you say that he lives at home, he gets the reduced amount of £8,400 for his travel and studies.

Thus he is NOT independant, he is a dependant.

How can he be independant and get the reduced rate?

It states that parental income is not factored into the calulations, but obviously they are, are there is a £1,578 descepancy.
Or in other words, well over a months wages for me.
I think you are missing the point, the calculator and calculations do not work if you are living at home past the age of 25.
After the age of 25 you are classed as being an nondepdant indepenant student, e.g. you would get £9,978.

My son is 29, he is not a dependant child at the age of 29, I cannot claim child benefit, or any other benefits even though I am on minium wage.

When you say that he lives at home, he gets the reduced amount of £8,400 for his travel and studies.

Thus he is NOT independant, he is a dependant.

How can he be independant and get the reduced rate?

It states that parental income is not factored into the calulations, but obviously they are, are there is a £1,578 descepancy.
Or in other words, well over a months wages for me.

Parents income can only be taking into account for students under the age of 25, any student over the age of 25 is an Independent Student whether they live at home with parents or not. Thanks, Angela
So how can he get the higher rate?
Parents income can only be taking into account for students under the age of 25, any student over the age of 25 is an Independent Student whether they live at home with parents or not. Thanks, Angela
So how can he get the higher rate?

This would be awarded if was living elsewhere/away from home. Thanks, Angela
ok thanks, so why he is living with me HE IS NOT AN INDEPENDANT STUDENT, that's all I wanted to know, will have to inform he has to move out, as I can't afford it.
This would be awarded if was living elsewhere/away from home. Thanks, Angela
ok thanks, so why he is living with me HE IS NOT AN INDEPENDANT STUDENT, that's all I wanted to know, will have to inform he has to move out, as I can't afford it.

You are more than welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending