The Student Room Group

Chemistry Olympiad 2020

I'm a Year 12 student and I was wondering if anyone has any tips regarding how to prepare?

Scroll to see replies

I did it last year, but I didn’t do well, so I’m probably not the best person to help. I would say do some wider reading on things chemistry-related so you recognise some of the substances etc. This probably isn’t necessary but it will give you more confidence when attempting the questions which are in a different style.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Dancer2001
I did it last year, but I didn’t do well, so I’m probably not the best person to help. I would say do some wider reading on things chemistry-related so you recognise some of the substances etc. This probably isn’t necessary but it will give you more confidence when attempting the questions which are in a different style.

Past papers - it is difficult for a yr 12 as many yr 13 concepts (in fact difficult for year 13's as based on the whole A level) - so read ahead??
Original post by Lh9
Was it a nice paper?

Oh myy I think it was so much harder than other years for some reason... and there just wasn't enough time!!! :frown:
Mate that was hard
Original post by Smellyellie121
Pm me for answers🥵

Pm me pls I'm so unprepared
Reply 6
Original post by ahmet_fd
can you pls message me the questions I really need help

No one should do that as not everyone has sat the paper yet.
Reply 7
Please don't spread answers before everyone has sat the paper. You're just disadvantaging yourself by upping the grade boundaries.
Reply 8
How did everyone find it? Personally I thought it was a bit easier than other years
I thought it was about the same standard as previous years but obviously more time pressured as there were more marks in total. I think it'll stay about 40 for the gold though tbh
Original post by alannah66
I thought it was about the same standard as previous years but obviously more time pressured as there were more marks in total. I think it'll stay about 40 for the gold though tbh

I’m sitting it tomorrow do you have any tips on how to revise
I think the last day that the paper can be sat is tomorrow (30th January) so probably wait until the weekend to discuss it. I did it today. I think the boundaries will definitely be higher than last year, but not by a huge margin.
Do you know when we get the results?
Original post by Chrissiejames
Do you know when we get the results?

Today was the last day that the paper could be taken, so we should be able to discuss the paper on TSR now. The mark scheme was sent to teachers today so you'll get your mark as soon as your teacher marks your paper.
What does everyone think the grade boundaries are like this year?
Didn’t even realise there was a question 6 -_-
That question was quite dreadful toward the end, and I was surprised that there would be a 6th question.

Original post by -_Harry_-
Didn’t even realise there was a question 6 -_-
The organic in the last question was significantly harder than most of the pre-2018 past papers. It's probably on a similar level to last year's, given how there were lots of unfamiliar reagents and a very long synthesis without many hints in the middle. I'd expect a very small proportion of candidates to have got that right.
Original post by _.angelica._
That question was quite dreadful toward the end, and I was surprised that there would be a 6th question.

I heard there were alot of easy marks :frown: I timed it for 5 questions
Original post by -_Harry_-
I heard there were alot of easy marks :frown: I timed it for 5 questions

There was a few things like oxidation states and writing equations, but don’t worry I’m sure you will have done well on the other questions! How did you find the entire thing overall?

Quick Reply

Latest