The Student Room Group

Both Chemistry and Physics Olympiads

I'm really interested in and loving both Chemistry and Physics, and plan to take both the Olympiads. However, I'm not sure which one I should prioritise and focus on as I really want to get through to the second round. Also is it possible to go to the second round and the camp for both Chemistry and Physics Olympiads, or can you only do one or the other? They're really tough so I know I should prioritise one, but any advice would be helpful thanks :smile:
Original post by acruelsummer
I'm really interested in and loving both Chemistry and Physics, and plan to take both the Olympiads. However, I'm not sure which one I should prioritise and focus on as I really want to get through to the second round. Also is it possible to go to the second round and the camp for both Chemistry and Physics Olympiads, or can you only do one or the other? They're really tough so I know I should prioritise one, but any advice would be helpful thanks :smile:

I believe you can get into R2 for both.

I never participated in the BPhO, but I did participate in UKChO in 2022 and 2023 (getting as far as R2 in 2022). I do recall one of the other participants in 2022 participating in R2 for both the BPhO and UKChO that year, but I could be misremembering certain details.

As for which one you should prioritise, compare the past papers for both and decide which one looks like it has less familiar content.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
I believe you can get into R2 for both.

I never participated in the BPhO, but I did participate in UKChO in 2022 and 2023 (getting as far as R2 in 2022). I do recall one of the other participants in 2022 participating in R2 for both the BPhO and UKChO that year, but I could be misremembering certain details.

As for which one you should prioritise, compare the past papers for both and decide which one looks like it has less familiar content.

Thank you so much; this is really helpful!
On another note, if you are in year 12, I do believe you can be entered for the C3L6 chemistry challenge, which is a less scary (but still challenging) equivalent to the UKChO. I never partook in it, but I know the questions are quite wordy and make good practice for the UKChO.
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
On another note, if you are in year 12, I do believe you can be entered for the C3L6 chemistry challenge, which is a less scary (but still challenging) equivalent to the UKChO. I never partook in it, but I know the questions are quite wordy and make good practice for the UKChO.

I did both C3L6 and UKChO in year 12, I found C3L6 much more manageable so I agree it will be more suitable for year 12, it depends on how much content you have learnt

Quick Reply

Latest