The Student Room Group

Trump bans Chinese from entering US due to Coronavirus

Trump has banned people who have visited China in the last 14 days from entering the US due to the Coronavirus:

nytimes.com/2020/01/31/business/china-travel-coronavirus.html

I wonder when the Lefties will have their meltdown about this lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gogotru
Trump has banned people who have visited China in the last 14 days from entering the US due to the Coronavirus:

nytimes.com/2020/01/31/business/china-travel-coronavirus.html

I wonder when the Lefties will have their meltdown about this lol

On this matter Trump is correct. Those "lefties" will no doubt show us where we can find vaccines against the Corona virus,? lol
So I thought this would be a discussion about how this is really a knee-jerk reaction reminiscent of America's meltdown over ebola, but I also expected an adult conversation about how this isn't out of the ordinary for Trump since he often jumps the gun and just bans everyone before knowing the full scope of a situation.
But if you guys wanna bang on about lefties don't let me stop you!
Reply 3
Original post by princetonalec
So I thought this would be a discussion about how this is really a knee-jerk reaction reminiscent of America's meltdown over ebola, but I also expected an adult conversation about how this isn't out of the ordinary for Trump since he often jumps the gun and just bans everyone before knowing the full scope of a situation.
But if you guys wanna bang on about lefties don't let me stop you!

But did you notice the inverted commas around my use of the wird " lefties ". I never bother to ask people what they mean by "leftie".
And i disagree with your point about waiting to see "the scope of a disease " if you have a responsibility towards 300+ million people and no vaccines available. And the poster who mentioned ebola virus clearly has no clue about how dangerous that particular virus is!
Original post by mgi
But did you notice the inverted commas around my use of the wird " lefties ". I never bother to ask people what they mean by "leftie".
And i disagree with your point about waiting to see "the scope of a disease " if you have a responsibility towards 300+ million people and no vaccines available. And the poster who mentioned ebola virus clearly has no clue about how dangerous that particular virus is!

Well (and I may be wrong on this, it's been a while since I did GCSE science) since corona is viral I don't think there would be a vaccine anyway.
Not that many Americans would willingly get vaccinated, considering recent politics. So I don't particularly know why you think having a vaccine would make the American population more likely to be calm.
This is all ignoring the fact that I believe France or Italy (or maybe both) have either already or at one point were considering banning unvaccinated American children because of the Measles outbreak currently happening in America. I mean in general America is beginning to look like a place to avoid if you dont want illnesses, especially considering how lax the FDA has become under Trump (lest we all forget romaine lettuce).
But all of that tangential information aside, banning people doesn't stop them from coming in? This is migration 101 folks.
Well (and I may be wrong on this, it's been a while since I did GCSE science) since corona is viral I don't think there would be a vaccine anyway.
Not that many Americans would willingly get vaccinated, considering recent politics. So I don't particularly know why you think having a vaccine would make the American population more likely to be calm.
This is all ignoring the fact that I believe France or Italy (or maybe both) have either already or at one point were considering banning unvaccinated American children because of the Measles outbreak currently happening in America. I mean in general America is beginning to look like a place to avoid if you dont want illnesses, especially considering how lax the FDA has become under Trump (lest we all forget romaine lettuce).
But all of that tangential information aside, banning people doesn't stop them from coming in? This is migration 101 folks.

:rolleyes:
Measles is caused by a virus
so are Polio, Smallpox and Rubella

HPV is obviously a virus... it's what the V stands for
a disease being caused by a virus doesn't prevent a vaccine from being developed
I'd consider myself somewhat a lefty and I agree with this move. This isn't a conspiracy against China. It's a measure against helping to stop the spread of infection.
Reply 7
This coronavirus rubbish is more a matter of politics than anything else.
Reply 8

ok, but in fact your first paragraph is entirely wrong. Vaccines do exist against MMR viruses and flu viruses for example, and they reduce death tolls. There is no reason why a vaccine against corona virus could also be developed. Vaccination played a vital role in the almost total elimination of small pox virus around the world! Read the story- its very interesting!
"Your suggestion that "Not that many Americans would willingly get vaccinated, considering recent politics. " Is a really strange argument! Are you really suggesting that if an effective vaccine against corona virus was available that Americans would not make use of it? Highly unlikely!
Your migration point also does not sound rational. Certainly border restrictions will reduce the number of people coming in with Corona viral infections! Are you saying that there is no point because one cannot" stop migration? clearly it can be reduced!
You mentioned Italy but clearly you are not aware that a cruise ship, with suspected Corona virus sufferers on board, was detained at the port in Rome this week and no passemgers were allowed to leave! Are you now therefore anti Italian?
Regarding your point about measles in America- unfounded scaremongering about the "dangers of vaccination" has led to large increases in the number of cases of measles in America but also in the UK! Should the UK be avoided aa well then? Not logical!
I think you simply have an anti American mentality but you also really need to check your facts and do more research.
More sensible than flying a load of potentially infected people back to Britain and putting them on a coach :facepalm:
Original post by CoolCavy
More sensible than flying a load of potentially infected people back to Britain and putting them on a coach :facepalm:

What if they were your family stranded in China?
Original post by Blooper859
What if they were your family stranded in China?

I would be concerned but I would also understand that is an incredibly huge risk to fly and then drive these people half way across the country on a regular commercial coach only to be held in crappy run down doctors flats that the doctors near the hospital were turfed out of.
They should be quarentined in China or the nearest place to the airport where they landed.
I'm not selfish and would want the entire country put at risk for the sake of one person even if it was a family member.
what the fug my message was deleted for some reason with no notifications.

anyways again, the left will politicise anything if trump is involved. its just a matter of time now. look how my message got deleted lol
Reply 13
I would be concerned but I would also understand that is an incredibly huge risk to fly and then drive these people half way across the country on a regular commercial coach only to be held in crappy run down doctors flats that the doctors near the hospital were turfed out of.
They should be quarentined in China or the nearest place to the airport where they landed.
I'm not selfish and would want the entire country put at risk for the sake of one person even if it was a family member.

Yes, and critics need to remember that there is not yet a vaccine against Corona ,therefore qurantine is initially necessary in order to try to slow down the spread of the virus.
Original post by mgi
Yes, and critics need to remember that there is not yet a vaccine against Corona ,therefore qurantine is initially necessary in order to try to slow down the spread of the virus.

I don't believe I ever said it wasn't necessary, I am saying the manner in which it is being conducted is incredibly risky. The coach drivers have not even been quarentined themselves.
Wouldn't it be just amazing poetic justice if Trump caught it?

It’s easy for you to say that now as you aren’t related to any of them, but they are in the hands of experts who very much likely know what they are doing. It would’ve been taken far worse by the country had they have just left them in China.
Original post by Blooper859
It’s easy for you to say that now as you aren’t related to any of them, but they are in the hands of experts who very much likely know what they are doing. It would’ve been taken far worse by the country had they have just left them in China.

Sure :yy:
Seems like a great decision to drive them half way across the country on a commercial coach rather than transferring them to the nearest hospital to the airport :smile: Seems an even better decision to station them next to an incredibly busy hospital that has a maternity ward next to where they are staying. Where they are staying is the accommodation doctors from the hospital live in.
Perhaps think of the families that are jeopardised from these people if this outbreak is released to the densely populated local area, it's not only their families that matter. What about the families that got turfed out from their buildings with little notice? Or is it only the families of expats that matter.
Reply 18

People around the world are laughing at that image with the man in a hazmat suit sat next to the poor buss driver
Original post by Napp
People around the world are laughing at that image with the man in a hazmat suit sat next to the poor buss driver

Literally, the drivers weren't even quarantined afterwards they were simply given 10 days off work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending