The Student Room Group

mechanics a level

hi, could i have some help pleaseeee, i am so confused
7. In this question, the unit vector i is horizontal and the unit vector j is vertically upwards. All forces are in newtons.

A small, heavy box is suspended in mid-air and is held in equilibrium by the tension in a light inextensible string and a horizontal force, as shown in the diagram.

The tension in the string is T1, where T1 = 30i + 49j. The horizontal force is F1, where F1 = pi.

(i) Write down the value of p and show that the mass of the box is 5 kg. [3]

(ii) Calculate the magnitude of T1 and the angle that T1 makes with the horizontal.
[3]
Another force F2 = 48i 87j is now applied to the box. The force F1 still acts and the box is still in equilibrium.

(iii) The new tension in the string is T2 = ai + bj. Calculate the values of a and b. [2]
helpls.png
Original post by dazedconfused
helpls.png

Have you tried equating i components, then j components?
Original post by Muttley79
Have you tried equating i components, then j components?

for part i??
for part i??

Yes
Yes

i feel really annoying but could you please explain by what you mean when you say equating the i and j components?? i would appereciate it alot :smile:
i feel really annoying but could you please explain by what you mean when you say equating the i and j components?? i would appereciate it alot :smile:

The tension in the string is T1, where T1 = 30i + 49j. The horizontal force is F1, where F1 = pi.

I can't do it for you, it's against the rules, but put the i part of T1 = to the i part of F1.

Then the j component must equal what other force?

I can't do it for you, it's against the rules, but put the i part of T1 = to the i part of F1.

Then the j component must equal what other force?

OHHHH then j is vertical force which is the weight
OHHHH then j is vertical force which is the mass

how had i not seen this omg thank you, i've actually done the rest of the questions, thank youuuu for your help :smile:
how had i not seen this omg thank you, i've actually done the rest of the questions, thank youuuu for your help :smile:

Pleaseeeeee please please can someone help me with this question?? im so confused
Reply 10
Original post by stephja2004
Pleaseeeeee please please can someone help me with this question?? im so confused

This thread is a year old, but have you followed the hints given above to answer the first part?

Quick Reply

Latest