The Student Room Group

my year 8 scores are defining my GCSE maths test

i am in year 8 and i have choices next month and last week was my last maths test and my last set change and in my school set 1, 2 and 3 do higher while 4 and 5 do foundation i was in set 3 and due to my teacher who didn't know how to control a class room i done badly and now is in set 4 even though i get high scores there. now i will stay in set 4 till gcse and do foundation no matter how hard i work. i really want to do higher maths. should i go to a school that does options in yr 8? is it fair? i really need help on what to do please
Original post by 18rahdan
i am in year 8 and i have choices next month and last week was my last maths test and my last set change and in my school set 1, 2 and 3 do higher while 4 and 5 do foundation i was in set 3 and due to my teacher who didn't know how to control a class room i done badly and now is in set 4 even though i get high scores there. now i will stay in set 4 till gcse and do foundation no matter how hard i work. i really want to do higher maths. should i go to a school that does options in yr 8? is it fair? i really need help on what to do please

It's FAR too early to decide on which tier you should take. [I teach Maths] Get your parents involved ...
Original post by Owenstampy
Look into doing GCSE higher maths as a private candidate it will cost about £60 to site the exam ,buts it's worth it. It will simply mean you will be able to sit the exam you will have to find a place you can sit it (call up other school) and it Is up to you to learn the higher content.

You must ensure you enter yourself for the exam before your school does when y11 comes around.
But your head of maths might get mad with you as it means the school might not be able to enter you for foundation (you can't be entered for foundation and higher In the same exam year as they run at same times and is physically impossible to be in two places at Once) but hopefully they will understand.

Nearer the time you would have to clear it with your attendance person at school as you would have to go elsewhere just for that exam.

You can't take both ...
Original post by Muttley79
You can't take both ...

precisely my point that's he should enter himself before the school does

You can't enter GCSE privately like this - not for Maths when you are in Year 11 -
Reply 5

Any reputable place that accepts private candidates will check with the candidate's main centre before accepting the entry and it will just cause a huge fuss.
Original post by Compost
Any reputable place that accepts private candidates will check with the candidate's main centre before accepting the entry and it will just cause a huge fuss.

Yep. A fuss normally causes to the school to realise the student is truly dedicated to the subject and at that point would normally just enter them for higher anyway. Of course the student would have to be fully switched on in lesson and be willing to put in lots and lots of extra work.
Reply 7
Yep. A fuss normally causes to the school to realise the student is truly dedicated to the subject and at that point would normally just enter them for higher anyway. Of course the student would have to be fully switched on in lesson and be willing to put in lots and lots of extra work.

I doubt there are any schools who make final decisions on what tier students will be entered for in Year 8. Many schools move students between sets right up to Year 11 and don't make final decisions on what tier to enter students for until Easter of Year 11. If the OP is switched on and putting in loads of extra work then they will not be entered for Foundation in the first place.
Original post by Compost
I doubt there are any schools who make final decisions on what tier students will be entered for in Year 8. Many schools move students between sets right up to Year 11 and don't make final decisions on what tier to enter students for until Easter of Year 11. If the OP is switched on and putting in loads of extra work then they will not be entered for Foundation in the first place.

I went to a school that operates in a similar fashion. Year 8 exams determine your set and your set rarely changes in year 9 (when choices are made). I know there was a guy who was in the same situation as you and he just brought his parents into the school and they made an agreement on the work that needed to be done to “prove himself” and he was retested and moved set before year 10. I suggest you maybe do the same, I think you’ve got a year or so before anything is finalised

Quick Reply

Latest