The Student Room Group

Coranavirus reaches London!

Scroll to see replies

meh.
Oh wow. I literally constantly commute near the airport so yep I’m scared
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's normal throughout E. Asia to wear face masks, the urban areas are very densely populated and it is considered polite as well as defensive.

There is no direct relationship between Chinese-looking people (many in London and elsewhere in the UK are not actually from China) wearing face masks and Covid-19. Please don't spread racially aggravating statements about it.

As a British Chinese person, I can relate to this.
It's like a person saying 'Go back to China' directly to anyone who is British (or any nationality come to that) of Chinese heritage as there are a lot of Chinese people who 'are not from China' per se if you understand where I'm going with this post?
I’m not afraid of death
Original post by MonsoonFlower
As a British Chinese person, I can relate to this.
It's like a person saying 'Go back to China' directly to anyone who is British (or any nationality come to that) of Chinese heritage as there are a lot of Chinese people who 'are not from China' per se if you understand where I'm going with this post?

My experience is that a lot of white western people generally are very poorly informed when it comes to E. Asian people and have mainly been fed stereotypes and sometimes crass, incorrect media labels and judgements. It's a shame that there aren't more programmes on mainstream TV that depict life in the part of the world with the largest populations.
It was bound to happen eventually.
Original post by Ferrograd
Unless you understand one of the languages spoken in China, or they told you they were chinese, you would have not known whether or not they were chinese. I think the more general, and polite, term would be "East Asian". Could be from anywhere in that region - Japan, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Vietnam, Mongolia, even somewhere as far West as Kazakhstan or the other central asian countries.

As the coronavirus is mainly just a major thing in China now, don't be at all surprised I said 'chinese'. Nothing racial about it.
Reply 27
Original post by anime<3gaming
shes done the right thing though the only issue being is that shes been on a plane in close proximity to others. They need to be seen to and tested. Either way theres no cause for concern. World Travel. I reckon by end of next month theres at least 40 - 50 cases of positive/negative cases of coronavirus

She didn’t exactly do the right thing. She took an Uber to A&E, potentially infecting the driver and other passengers after her and also staff and patients at the A&E department. https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/london-coronavirus-patient-turned-up-hospital-uber-taxi
Original post by Em.-.
She didn’t exactly do the right thing. She took an Uber to A&E, potentially infecting the driver and other passengers after her and also staff and patients at the A&E department. https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/london-coronavirus-patient-turned-up-hospital-uber-taxi

I didn't know that at first but I do agree with you but I suppose theres worse like getting bus or Tube station etc. I think its just on impulse. She might have not known anyone or anyone available and if your feeling ill and you just came from China you are going to panic in someway and just on impulse I NEED to get to the hospital and fast. So taxi would have come to mind. You cant fault the poor woman
UK government: "Yh we know we should be closing our borders to people from China and maybe even countries with high Chinese populations but let's keep them open for a little more, what could possibly go wrong?"
Coronavirus: "This is too easy comrades!"

God help us if that woman took the Tube (Which she probably did)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Fullofsurprises
People have to report to hospitals. At least she didn't take the tube.

The advice was and still is to immediately call 111 and to isolate. NHS says “Call 111 now if you've been:
to Wuhan or Hubei Province in China in the last 14 days (even if you do not have symptoms)
to other parts of China, including Macau and Hong Kong, in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath (even if it's mild)
to Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Republic of Korea or Malaysia in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath (even if it's mild)
in close contact with someone with confirmed coronavirus
Do not go to a GP surgery or hospital. Call 111, stay indoors and avoid close contact with other people.

Tell 111 about any recent travel and any symptoms you have.”

It also mentions “not using any public transport or taxis”. A few taxi drivers in other countries have caught it from passengers.
Original post by Em.-.
The advice was and still is to immediately call 111 and to isolate. NHS says “Call 111 now if you've been:
to Wuhan or Hubei Province in China in the last 14 days (even if you do not have symptoms)
to other parts of China, including Macau and Hong Kong, in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath (even if it's mild)
to Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Republic of Korea or Malaysia in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath (even if it's mild)
in close contact with someone with confirmed coronavirus
Do not go to a GP surgery or hospital. Call 111, stay indoors and avoid close contact with other people.

Tell 111 about any recent travel and any symptoms you have.”

It also mentions “not using any public transport or taxis”. A few taxi drivers in other countries have caught it from passengers.

OK fair enough, thanks for the clarification.
Reply 32
Original post by The RAR
UK government: "Yh we know we should be closing our borders to people from China and maybe even countries with high Chinese populations but let's keep them open for a little more, what could possibly go wrong?"
Coronavirus: "This is too easy comrades!"

God help us if that woman took the Tube (Which she probably did)

Not even just that woman, anyone who has caught it from her or from the bus conference thing. Or anyone else who catches it, flies into London and takes the tube. 😬 Wondering, if an outbreak happened, if the tube would be closed or not.. It would be good for public health but bad for the economy - though long term I imagine it would be better for the economy as stopping to sooner means less cases overall. They need international travel restrictions now imo.
Original post by Em.-.
Not even just that woman, anyone who has caught it from her or from the bus conference thing. Or anyone else who catches it, flies into London and takes the tube. 😬 Wondering, if an outbreak happened, if the tube would be closed or not.. It would be good for public health but bad for the economy - though long term I imagine it would be better for the economy as stopping to sooner means less cases overall. They need international travel restrictions now imo.

I really hope the Tube is not closed, I commute to uni.
They really do, anyone from China or countries with high cases of coronavirus should be denied entry into the UK and people can't leave for those countries from the UK either, but this government cares more about the investment and money from those countries than its own people.
Original post by Lyndsey.95
As the coronavirus is mainly just a major thing in China now, don't be at all surprised I said 'chinese'. Nothing racial about it.

Many people from East Asian countries have been wearing facemasks before Covid-19 was even a thing. If you were standing in China and saw an East-Asian looking person wearing a mask, then you could make a very reasonable assumption that they were Chinese. If you're in England, your assumption falls apart, and you just come across as ignorant.
Original post by julietlima3
Many people from East Asian countries have been wearing facemasks before Covid-19 was even a thing. If you were standing in China and saw an East-Asian looking person wearing a mask, then you could make a very reasonable assumption that they were Chinese. If you're in England, your assumption falls apart, and you just come across as ignorant.

yeah especially in China because the air pollution is quite bad anyway. Definitely bad for smokers and those with asthma etc a virus like this would be fatal. Serious for us but not as bad as china
Original post by The RAR
I really hope the Tube is not closed, I commute to uni.
They really do, anyone from China or countries with high cases of coronavirus should be denied entry into the UK and people can't leave for those countries from the UK either, but this government cares more about the investment and money from those countries than its own people.

I think anyone in China should be banned in traveling abroad regardless of where they're from.
Original post by 1st superstar
I think anyone in China should be banned in traveling abroad regardless of where they're from.

That's a more efficient solution! Why didn't I think of that?
I'm a perfectly healthy person with a good immune system, so I couldn't care less. The only thing that's dying if I catch the virus is the virus itself.
Reply 39
Original post by RichPiana
I'm a perfectly healthy person with a good immune system, so I couldn't care less. The only thing that's dying if I catch the virus is the virus itself.

You'll jinx it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending