The Student Room Group

Using the London Underground

Hi all,
So I've recently begun a new job in London central. I am not from London, I'm from Luton so I do have a bit of a commute everyday. As the prices are very expensive, I was told that paying as you go with an oyster card or debit card would be cost efficient.

I am still awaiting my oyster card but for the meantime I'm not sure how you would use contactless payment. The Tfl website says that you can just tap your card/ device (e.g using Gpay) on the yellow card reader and "pay as you go." How would they know where I am going e.g if I want to go from Luton Station to City Thameslink? How would the card reader deduct the correct fare it takes to get there?

From what I understand, all you do is tap your card on the yellow card reader and go through. It's confusing though to me because I don't understand how to pay for the correct train fare? Is it a cheaper way to travel? Can someone please help me to understand? I am not used to the London Underground as I've barely had to use it till now.

Thank you
Original post by s.r_1912
Hi all,
So I've recently begun a new job in London central. I am not from London, I'm from Luton so I do have a bit of a commute everyday. As the prices are very expensive, I was told that paying as you go with an oyster card or debit card would be cost efficient.

I am still awaiting my oyster card but for the meantime I'm not sure how you would use contactless payment. The Tfl website says that you can just tap your card/ device (e.g using Gpay) on the yellow card reader and "pay as you go." How would they know where I am going e.g if I want to go from Luton Station to City Thameslink? How would the card reader deduct the correct fare it takes to get there?

From what I understand, all you do is tap your card on the yellow card reader and go through. It's confusing though to me because I don't understand how to pay for the correct train fare? Is it a cheaper way to travel? Can someone please help me to understand? I am not used to the London Underground as I've barely had to use it till now.

Thank you

You tap in at the station you depart from and then tap out when you reach your destination. The system then deducts the appropriate fare.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
You tap in at the station you depart from and then tap out when you reach your destination. The system then deducts the appropriate fare.

So it doesn't take the fare immediately? It only takes the fare once you've reached your destination? That makes sense
So it doesn't take the fare immediately? It only takes the fare once you've reached your destination? That makes sense

Correct.
Hi all,

Thank you

Congrats on your new job.:smile:. Simply tap in which ever station you start your journey at and the then tap out at the other end. Most tube stations have barriers so you won't be able to go through until you do this. At the end of the day the correct fare will be deducted for all your journeys that day. There are also caps so you don't pay more then that per day even if you make more journeys after you have reached that amount.
Good luck on your first day.
Original post by ageshallnot

Exactly.
And it deducts the correct fare when you get to your destination.
Reply 6
Original post by Kutie Karen
Congrats on your new job.:smile:. Simply tap in which ever station you start your journey at and the then tap out at the other end. Most tube stations have barriers so you won't be able to go through until you do this. At the end of the day the correct fare will be deducted for all your journeys that day. There are also caps so you don't pay more then that per day even if you make more journeys after you have reached that amount.
Good luck on your first day.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest