The Student Room Group

Trans patients are self medicating due to NHS wait.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51530274
I'm surprised it's taken this long for a story to come out: self medication has been a thing for decades in the trans community where medical intervention either isn't available or just refuses to provide treatment.
I won't lie, due to the wait times i've considered self medicating, which would be a criminal offence for me since i'd want to take testosterone and due to its status as a class C drug I can't just order it online.
This is why the narrative of 'they're filling kids with these unresearched drugs!' and 'trans people are just complaining for no reason!' hurt so much. These drugs are not easy to get by any stretch of the imagination, even as an adult. And not being medicated is genuinely distressing to some people.
All of this saying nothing of the hormone treatment shortages trans people usually face...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by princetonalec
I'm surprised it's taken this long for a story to come out: self medication has been a thing for decades in the trans community where medical intervention either isn't available or just refuses to provide treatment.
I won't lie, due to the wait times i've considered self medicating, which would be a criminal offence for me since i'd want to take testosterone and due to its status as a class C drug I can't just order it online.
This is why the narrative of 'they're filling kids with these unresearched drugs!' and 'trans people are just complaining for no reason!' hurt so much. These drugs are not easy to get by any stretch of the imagination, even as an adult. And not being medicated is genuinely distressing to some people.
All of this saying nothing of the hormone treatment shortages trans people usually face...

There is litterally no data on what these drugs do to children long term. Also it can be true that they are making it too easy and that there are still people who want these drugs but cant get them, that just shows that the trans hysteria has gotten out of control.

Also giving children untested drugs because of you project your own aesthetic insecurities onto them is immoral. A chance at a minor increase in appearance(which is the argument for early transitioning) is not worth messing with the very delicate system of puberty that does important things like the fusing of growth plates. Finally most of your appearance is determined by your genes anyway, so this idea that as long as the person transitions early it will give them a good shot at passing is a myth, most trans people will never pass regardless of when you transition; infact the more visible the community is the less likely they will ever pass.
Original post by Ragman75
There is litterally no data on what these drugs do to children long term. Also it can be true that they are making it too easy and that there are still people who want these drugs but cant get them, that just shows that the trans hysteria has gotten out of control.

Also giving children untested drugs because of you project your own aesthetic insecurities onto them is immoral. A chance at a minor increase in appearance(which is the argument for early transitioning) is not worth messing with the very delicate system of puberty that does important things like the fusing of growth plates. Finally most of your appearance is determined by your genes anyway, so this idea that as long as the person transitions early it will give them a good shot at passing is a myth, most trans people will never pass regardless of when you transition; infact the more visible the community is the less likely they will ever pass.

1) There's also no data suggesting that HRT is a risk, considering the fact that cis people also get the treatment should they have faulty thyroids, issues with their ovaries, and other problems producing their own hormones. Hormone replacement therapy isn't just a trans person thing, either ban it for everyone because of the risks or step back.
2) Getting hormones in the UK is near impossible, but if you can show a me a study which was not conducted by someone like the Sun on how easy hormones are to get legally whilst being fully monitored by a GP please do tell me, because I'd love to make use of that service myself and despite being heavily involved with the online trans uk scene I have yet to hear about this mythical way of getting hormones ASAP.
3) This article is about adults, not children. I brought up the annoyance with the scaremongering 'children are being given dangerous drugs like mad! !!!' because hormones, as previously mentioned, are hard to get.
4) I know all the risks of going through HRT, but as an autonomous adult who knows the risks and the benefits I have decided I want to anyway. Do you think I should not have bodily autonomy?
5) Plastic surgery found dead: murdered by genes.
6) I'm going to tell you something that will terrify you. There are thousands of trans people you have walked past and never clocked. There are people you will never know are trans, and they are serving your coffee, fixing your boiler, and cutting your hair. We pass much, much better than you think.
Not really surprising, I would imagine that self medication for a lot of issues is quite common for people on waiting lists or have been turned down for treatment.

Whether right or wrong I have been self medicating for years because the NHS leaves a lot to be desired.
Original post by DiddyDec
Not really surprising, I would imagine that self medication for a lot of issues is quite common for people on waiting lists or have been turned down for treatment.

Whether right or wrong I have been self medicating for years because the NHS leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh yeah 100%. The hope (as I'm sure you're aware) is that making it known that people are self medicating lights a fire under the NHS and gets it to move a little faster, but unfortunately that's rarely what happened.
Even then in the article they said a new clinic is opening in London. Where does that leave trans people who aren't in London? I don't want to have to get 4 different trains and a bus to get to a single doctors appointment in London!
Oh yeah 100%. The hope (as I'm sure you're aware) is that making it known that people are self medicating lights a fire under the NHS and gets it to move a little faster, but unfortunately that's rarely what happened.
Even then in the article they said a new clinic is opening in London. Where does that leave trans people who aren't in London? I don't want to have to get 4 different trains and a bus to get to a single doctors appointment in London!

It isn't the fault of the NHS, the blame lies almost entirely with the Government and their resentment of properly funding the NHS.

London preferential treatment for everything. There are 3 people in the country that specialize on my particular issue, all of them are in London, 2 in the same hospital.
It isn't the fault of the NHS, the blame lies almost entirely with the Government and their resentment of properly funding the NHS.

London preferential treatment for everything. There are 3 people in the country that specialize on my particular issue, all of them are in London, 2 in the same hospital.

You're right about it being government funding - probably should have worded my own message better on that.
I just think it's outrageous that London is where everything happens first. I understand the whole argument of 'big city, it needs big resources' but thats still millions of brits who are essentially being forgotten.
The day london stops getting special treatment will be a good one.
1) There's also no data suggesting that HRT is a risk, considering the fact that cis people also get the treatment should they have faulty thyroids, issues with their ovaries, and other problems producing their own hormones. Hormone replacement therapy isn't just a trans person thing, either ban it for everyone because of the risks or step back.
2) Getting hormones in the UK is near impossible, but if you can show a me a study which was not conducted by someone like the Sun on how easy hormones are to get legally whilst being fully monitored by a GP please do tell me, because I'd love to make use of that service myself and despite being heavily involved with the online trans uk scene I have yet to hear about this mythical way of getting hormones ASAP.
3) This article is about adults, not children. I brought up the annoyance with the scaremongering 'children are being given dangerous drugs like mad! !!!' because hormones, as previously mentioned, are hard to get.
4) I know all the risks of going through HRT, but as an autonomous adult who knows the risks and the benefits I have decided I want to anyway. Do you think I should not have bodily autonomy?
6) I'm going to tell you something that will terrify you. There are thousands of trans people you have walked past and never clocked. There are people you will never know are trans, and they are serving your coffee, fixing your boiler, and cutting your hair. We pass much, much better than you think.

1. I was talking about hormone blockers, they dont put kids on HRT. But your wrong HRT is a risk it permanently changes them and makes them sterile, low levels of testosterone in men has been linked to all kinds of health problems and the same with oestrogen in women.
Why do you people cling to this obviously illogical argument, people who have health conditions are not the same as people who dont. If you have a severe nut allergy and eat a peanut giving you an epipen will save your life when you go into anaphylactic shock, if you arent in shock taking an epipen may give you a heart attack and kill you. To you cant say a drug is safe for people without any sort of health condition until its been tested on said people.

2.talking about hormone blockers nor HRT, idgaf what adults do to thier body

3.you litterally said "This is why the narrative of 'they're filling kids with these unresearched drugs!'", its really obvious now you cant actually argue the point, why would you think im fall for that obfuscation.

4. said nothing about adults, adults can put what ever poison they want in their body. My point was obviously about children, are you beliefs so fragile you have to dodge the point.

5.What are you rambling on about here this makes no sense

6.Firstly mathematically that's highly unlikely, trans people make up an insanely small part of the population I think the numbers are like around 0.6%. Moreover this isnt the 1960s where no one knows what a trans person is, I know a fair few trans people and i can tell you you dont pass. People are just polite now and wont make trouble with you if you are just going about your day in a relatively liberal area. Don't mistake people not botling you, calling you by what you obviously want to present as or flirting with some drunk person in a dark club as passing. The reality is societies opinions have far out passed what is medically possible, i mean for god sake we have people that will actually honestly refer to others as "they" instead or him/her. On top of that its a crime to verbally abuse someone for being trans, which in this day and age even referes to intentionally calling them by their biological sex.
(edited 4 years ago)

You realise this a thread about adults self medicating?

Why are trying to make it about children?

6. i will grant that testosterone seems to be a far stronger chemical then oestrogen, so FTM definitely do have a higher chance of passing since growing a real beard really does wonders for convincing people you are a man.
which in this day and age even referes to intentionally calling them by their biological sex.

Have you got any evidence of this claim?
You realise this a thread about adults self medicating?

Why are trying to make it about children?

:sigh:

'they're filling kids with these unresearched drugs!' .
:sigh:

Context is very important and something you have quite clearly missed, I suggest you go back and read the whole sentence again.
1. I was talking about hormone blockers, they dont put kids on HRT. But your wrong HRT is a risk it permanently changes them and makes them sterile, low levels of testosterone in men has been linked to all kinds of health problems and the same with oestrogen in women.
Why do you people cling to this obviously illogical argument, people who have health conditions are not the same as people who dont. If you have a severe nut allergy and eat a peanut giving you an epipen will save your life when you go into anaphylactic shock, if you arent in shock taking an epipen may give you a heart attack and kill you. To you cant say a drug is safe for people without any sort of health condition until its been tested on said people.

2.talking about hormone blockers nor HRT, idgaf what adults do to thier body

3.you litterally said "This is why the narrative of 'they're filling kids with these unresearched drugs!'", its really obvious now you cant actually argue the point, why would you think im fall for that obfuscation.

4. said nothing about adults, adults can put what ever poison they want in their body. My point was obviously about children, are you beliefs so fragile you have to dodge the point.

5.What are you rambling on about here this makes no sense

6.Firstly mathematically that's highly unlikely, trans people make up an insanely small part of the population I think the numbers are like around 0.6%. Moreover this isnt the 1960s where no one knows what a trans person is, I know a fair few trans people and i can tell you you dont pass. People are just polite now and wont make trouble with you if you are just going about your day in a relatively liberal area. Don't mistake people not botling you, calling you by what you obviously want to present as or flirting with some drunk person in a dark club as passing. The reality is societies opinions have far out passed what is medically possible, i mean for god sake we have people that will actually honestly refer to others as "they" instead or him/her. On top of that its a crime to verbally abuse someone for being trans, which in this day and age even referes to intentionally calling them by their biological sex.

1) To all of your points about hormone blockers: this post is about HRT. If you want to talk about hormone blockers feel free to make a post! But this post is about adults who are self medicating HRT.
2) You're right, if I was allergic to testosterone I could die from taking it. But if I was allergic to testosterone I'd have bigger problems.
3) Clinical trials found dead apparently.
4) You think trans people are self flagging on census forms? There's no obligation to, y'know. And when all legal documents are changed, theres no paper trail to if a person is trans.
Like I said, thousands of us exist. Thousands of us are unclockable. You have met trans people you did not know were trans, and thats a promise!
Have you got any evidence of this claim?

yes https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/14/mum-spared-jail-calling-trans-woman-pig-wig-twitter-12241097/
:rofl2: next time do even a few mins of research please

Metro UK as a source, wack.
Also wack that apparently pig in a wig is a biological gender these days. Anyway recently another type of pig had a court rule in his favour, saying that being transphobic online does not constitute a hate crime, soooo.
(source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-51501202)

If you make a claim then the onus falls on your to provide the evidence for the claim.

That doesn't support your claim, she was quite clearly being grossly offensive not simply misgendering. The defendant made several accounts even after a civil settlement with the sole intent to offend and abuse.

Got anything relevant?
If you make a claim then the onus falls on your to provide the evidence for the claim.

That doesn't support your claim, she was quite clearly being grossly offensive not simply misgendering. The defendant made several accounts even after a civil settlement with the sole intent to offend and abuse.

Got anything relevant?

Uhm Diddy obviously not being allowed to systematically harass trans people just shows how trans people have it easy in society :colonhash:

/s
Uhm Diddy obviously not being allowed to systematically harass trans people just shows how trans people have it easy in society :colonhash:

/s

1) To all of your points about hormone blockers: this post is about HRT. If you want to talk about hormone blockers feel free to make a post! But this post is about adults who are self medicating HRT.
2) You're right, if I was allergic to testosterone I could die from taking it. But if I was allergic to testosterone I'd have bigger problems.
3) Clinical trials found dead apparently.
4) You think trans people are self flagging on census forms? There's no obligation to, y'know. And when all legal documents are changed, theres no paper trail to if a person is trans.
Like I said, thousands of us exist. Thousands of us are unclockable. You have met trans people you did not know were trans, and thats a promise!

1. then dont talk about kids then, unless you believe its moral to put children on HRT
2. what you said is so wrong and misses the point so much its not worth telling you how bad of an argument that is. Re read what i wrote and really ask yourself "does what i replied with make sense"
4.yes ofc there isn't but there is no reason not to, yeah there is you have a record of your birth certificate, probably records of where you went to school and so on so there will be a paper trail. But overall this argument is bad, so i have numbers to prove my point and you have nothing but for some reason you are right and im wrong; makes a lot of sense kid. Yeah ofc thousands of you exist but you arent just dispersed through the country you concentrate in certain places and there are a tiny tiny amount of you. On top of that most of you are clockable because to the human eye the average man and women are like white and black, impossible to mistake for each other, therefore since medical tech isnt magic most of you will not pass. Yes you will get the odd trans girl that has a small frame, dainty features and small hands as a guy, but that by statistical probability is an outlier. Most will be average guys about 5'9-10+ reasonably masculine face and build with decently big hands and feet, this guy if he transitions will be clockable thats just the reality.

Latest

Trending

Trending