The Student Room Group

Absolutely furious with the NHS

I can't tell if this is the fault of the NHS or my parents, though my parents have reassured me it isn't theirs and I'm inclined to believe them based on how appalling the NHS is. After much difficulty, today I finally aquired my medical records. I'm going through the police recruitment process and want to see how much I'll have to tell them so I don't have to lie if they look at my medical records etc.
Honestly, I think if a person who doesn't understand mental health issues, or the police, were to see it, they'd think I'm a nutter.
I'm furious because as long as four years ago my GP and others are saying I have depression, sucidal ideataion and possible aspergers, yet it wasn't until this year i got diagnosed with aspergers and late last year i got diagnosed with depression (and put on antidepressants). My mental health back then was far worse than I thought. Literally, the NHS did **** all. I read all of my records - apparently I had written somewhere when I was 14 I wanted to shoot myself. I was given psychotherapy, but never put on medication, wtf? Despite it not working! The NHS hae never communicated to me what the doctor is thinking, I was never told I had depression, I was never sent for a diagnosis. I'm furious. Furious at being told how lucky I am to live in this country and have access to the NHS, yet its absolutely ****. It has failed me, and no doubt I will probably end up failing my police medical. (history of su*c*de thoughts/self harm/a su*c*de attempt earlier this year and on medication). If the doctors had actually put me on medication, my suffering years later could have been prevented and I could have felt mroe confident in starting a job I'd love.
So **** the NHS. I won't be clapping for you again, your mental health services are a joke. This isn't just the government's fault. If I had topped myself, the NHS would have blood on its hands, and it already does. I'm sorry, I'm probably coming across as really entitled, and I know people basically worship the NHS in the Uk like some kind of cult, but I'm so angry right now.

Scroll to see replies

Welcomes to the NHS.
Basically
Here before users come in their droves to defend the NHS.

In the eyes of some, the NHS can do nothing wrong. The term 'cult' is an accurate descriptor.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
Here before users come in their droves to defend the NHS.

In the eyes of some, the NHS can do nothing wrong. The term 'cult' is an accurate descriptor.

Literally. Some incompetent nurses literally nearly caused my aunt to lose her baby.
NHS isn't fit for purpose, way too many people use it.
Reply 6
NHS is disgusting
Reply 7
Quite simple really. If you don't like the NHS,go private.. No one is stopping you. If you can't afford it, then you know why the NHS exists
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy
Quite simple really. If you don't like the NHS,go private.. No one is stopping you. If your can't afford it, then you know why the NHS exists

We know why it exists, problem being that it isn't fit for purpose.
the nhs very rarely give antidepressants to under 18s because of the risks etc. they’re a last resort.
also, the nhs don’t usually give psychotherapy, they usually give talking therapy. psychotherapy is very expensive.
the nhs might have bad points but we’re very lucky to have it, most countries don’t and it’s so expensive most can’t afford it.
I don’t think I would have got very far without the nhs.

If you don’t like it, go private.
There has been a lack of funding for the mental health services.
The NHS does work well most of the time, but like everything, things like this happen. We are lucky to have the NHS.
Original post by lucyyy12
the nhs very rarely give antidepressants to under 18s because of the risks etc. they’re a last resort.
also, the nhs don’t usually give psychotherapy, they usually give talking therapy. psychotherapy is very expensive.
the nhs might have bad points but we’re very lucky to have it, most countries don’t and it’s so expensive most can’t afford it.
I don’t think I would have got very far without the nhs.

If you don’t like it, go private.

Well I got psychotherapy, that's what it was called.
I have had to have had private therapy because the NHS was so bad. But this isn't the point. Millions of people cannot afford private healthcare. Why should just those who be able to pay get a good standard of care?
I'm still waiting (2 months) for another NHS therapist for adult services.
Had it not been for my private therapist giving me antidepressants, I probably wouldn't be typing this right now. I'd be six foot under, dead, dead and buried, not even an adult.
Every country in Europe has free healthcare. It's a more insurance based model, and whilst it may cost some people more, at least you're getting good healthcare. Germany, for instance. They have 3x the amount of hospital beds as we do, and actually spend a little more on healthcare than we do.

We funnel in millions to the NHS, and they still ask for more, and whilst it does need more funding, pro-NHS people ignore one fundamental point: you can have all the money in the world, but iuf you're not actually organising things well, the service is going to be sh*t. The NHS needs inteneral shake up. I've been a fierce defender of the NHS, but I can't defend it anymore. No defending the indefensible.
Original post by Other_Owl
There has been a lack of funding for the mental health services.

Yep, that as well. But I'm sure the NHS should re-evaluate its priorities and start taking mental health more seriously. My local GP refused to see me at first and insisted I "just went to A and E". They also belittled a lot of my problems as "friendship issues".
you need to write to the medical practice and request that those things be removed from your medical records as they are false and did not happen. You can only do this by a written letter not by phoning them. You can then ask to see the rectified medical records after they have fixed them
Original post by Nuttyy
Quite simple really. If you don't like the NHS,go private.. No one is stopping you. If your can't afford it, then you know why the NHS exists

Oh so people who can't afford it should have to suffer in silence then should they?
Aneurin Bevan would be turning in his grave at the state of what the NHS has become.

Firstly, it is hugely over-reliant on foreign workers, which means Brexit has had a catastrophic impact on the service.
Secondly, it is ridiculously centralised, beauracratic and generally inefficeint.
Thirdly, its attitudes, it doesn't do anything until its too late. I suspect they would have done something in my case if I had attempted suicide whislt under their "care".
Original post by Anonymous
you need to write to the medical practice and request that those things be removed from your medical records as they are false and did not happen. You can only do this by a written letter not by phoning them. You can then ask to see the rectified medical records after they have fixed them

What are false?
Reply 17
Original post by Ferrograd
I can't tell if this is the fault of the NHS or my parents, though my parents have reassured me it isn't theirs and I'm inclined to believe them based on how appalling the NHS is. After much difficulty, today I finally aquired my medical records. I'm going through the police recruitment process and want to see how much I'll have to tell them so I don't have to lie if they look at my medical records etc.
Honestly, I think if a person who doesn't understand mental health issues, or the police, were to see it, they'd think I'm a nutter.
I'm furious because as long as four years ago my GP and others are saying I have depression, sucidal ideataion and possible aspergers, yet it wasn't until this year i got diagnosed with aspergers and late last year i got diagnosed with depression (and put on antidepressants). My mental health back then was far worse than I thought. Literally, the NHS did **** all. I read all of my records - apparently I had written somewhere when I was 14 I wanted to shoot myself. I was given psychotherapy, but never put on medication, wtf? Despite it not working! The NHS hae never communicated to me what the doctor is thinking, I was never told I had depression, I was never sent for a diagnosis. I'm furious. Furious at being told how lucky I am to live in this country and have access to the NHS, yet its absolutely ****. It has failed me, and no doubt I will probably end up failing my police medical. (history of su*c*de thoughts/self harm/a su*c*de attempt earlier this year and on medication). If the doctors had actually put me on medication, my suffering years later could have been prevented and I could have felt mroe confident in starting a job I'd love.
So **** the NHS. I won't be clapping for you again, your mental health services are a joke. This isn't just the government's fault. If I had topped myself, the NHS would have blood on its hands, and it already does. I'm sorry, I'm probably coming across as really entitled, and I know people basically worship the NHS in the Uk like some kind of cult, but I'm so angry right now.

the nhs sucks. i don't think you should blame your parents tho, private psychiatrists are pretty expensive so they probably just couldn't afford them
Original post by Ciel.
the nhs sucks. i don't think you should blame your parents tho, private psychiatrists are pretty expensive so they probably just couldn't afford them

I'm not - and they have paid out for it in desperation. I'd be blaming my parents if they didn't tell me I had depression back in 2017 when according to the doctor's notes they both thought I had it. So why the doctors or my parents didnt tell me i dont know
For the people saying the NHS sucks, I highly doubt you know how lucky we are to get it. The NHS isn't perfect, but nothing is. The NHS has helped save and improve so many lives and we really need to be grateful to have access to such a high-quality service (most of the time).

However, most people will agree that mental health services are underfunded which does make issues like this more likely.

Quick Reply

Latest