The Student Room Group

GCSEs

Rn, I’m so overwhelmed and exhausted...at this point, i wanna give up cos of my fear of failing.

Any tips on how to deal with low self-esteem/self doubt?
Tackle the reasons why you doubt yourself. Trust me, you’ll survive. Teachers and schools put so much pressure on you. Just remember it’s not aimed at the people like you who get wound up about it. It’s for all the thickies, to try and motivate them to do work. However pressure does the opposite to most people, in motivating them. You’re very likely to sail through and pass them all. I thought I was going to get a 3 in a certain subject. I got a 5. I came out of one exam crying. I then got a 9 for that subject. GCSE’s are so hyped up compared to what they actually are. I hope this helps! Xx
Original post by blueberrybowl
Tackle the reasons why you doubt yourself. Trust me, you’ll survive. Teachers and schools put so much pressure on you. Just remember it’s not aimed at the people like you who get wound up about it. It’s for all the thickies, to try and motivate them to do work. However pressure does the opposite to most people, in motivating them. You’re very likely to sail through and pass them all. I thought I was going to get a 3 in a certain subject. I got a 5. I came out of one exam crying. I then got a 9 for that subject. GCSE’s are so hyped up compared to what they actually are. I hope this helps! Xx

Thank you for help! The thing I got 5s and 6s in my mock and I’m aiming for 8s and 9s. The reason why I doubt myself is because I think because I achieve such grades in my mock, I’m incapable of achieving such grades. I mean I haven’t even finished all my notes for history...and I got 3 in my medicine paper. Sigh. I’m never gonna make it.
Original post by TimotheeLaurie
Thank you for help! The thing I got 5s and 6s in my mock and I’m aiming for 8s and 9s. The reason why I doubt myself is because I think because I achieve such grades in my mock, I’m incapable of achieving such grades. I mean I haven’t even finished all my notes for history...and I got 3 in my medicine paper. Sigh. I’m never gonna make it.

Hey stop with this attitude! I got loads of sixes in my mocks, then got mainly 8’s for the real exams
Hey stop with this attitude! I got loads of sixes in my mocks, then got mainly 8’s for the real exams

Why should I? I’m a failure! Face it! Plus only smart people can achieve such grades
Also, which subject did you get a 5 for? Plus I didn’t understand your last statement about grace 9
Also, which subject did you get a 5 for? Plus I didn’t understand your last statement about grace 9

I got a 5 in art. I’m more academic than arty. And what I was saying was I came out one of my real maths exams crying because I thought I did so badly, but on results day I ended up getting a grade 9. So it just proves that your mentality can definitely think you’re doing way worse than you actually are.

You’re not a failure. You are a smart person. Even if you weren’t, you can still achieve high grades. The exams are all about structure and exam technique. I’d say the only reason I did so well was because of my exam technique, which isn’t being ‘smart’. You need to have more faith in yourself because otherwise it’ll get you down and you really will end up doing badly. Just don’t stress too much about the exams, but equally, make sure you are doing as much revision as possible. Remember, small revision sessions, but often! Xx
I got a 5 in art. I’m more academic than arty. And what I was saying was I came out one of my real maths exams crying because I thought I did so badly, but on results day I ended up getting a grade 9. So it just proves that your mentality can definitely think you’re doing way worse than you actually are.

You’re not a failure. You are a smart person. Even if you weren’t, you can still achieve high grades. The exams are all about structure and exam technique. I’d say the only reason I did so well was because of my exam technique, which isn’t being ‘smart’. You need to have more faith in yourself because otherwise it’ll get you down and you really will end up doing badly. Just don’t stress too much about the exams, but equally, make sure you are doing as much revision as possible. Remember, small revision sessions, but often! Xx

Your story is so inspiring! What grade did you use to get before in maths? I’m aiming for an 8 but currently on a 5
Your story is so inspiring! What grade did you use to get before in maths? I’m aiming for an 8 but currently on a 5

Sevens and eights

I have a natural talent for maths though. Not my other subjects
Reply 10
Rn, I’m so overwhelmed and exhausted...at this point, i wanna give up cos of my fear of failing.

Any tips on how to deal with low self-esteem/self doubt?

Just remember the long summer ahead of you at the end of GCSEs and all the free time you will have! Just relax and play games and vacay if you are going abroad and just not having to stress about anything and have all the time in the world :biggrin:
@blueberrybowl please tell me how i can improve and how can i believe in myself more?
@blueberrybowl please tell me how i can improve and how can i believe in myself more?

I already have tried. At the end of the day nothing anyone tells you can make you believe in yourself, only YOU have the power to change your mentality.
I already have tried. At the end of the day nothing anyone tells you can make you believe in yourself, only YOU have the power to change your mentality.

I see. It's just...i think 8s and 9s are for 'smart students' only and an average student like me cant achieve such grades, am i right?
I see. It's just...i think 8s and 9s are for 'smart students' only and an average student like me cant achieve such grades, am i right?

No you’re wrong
No you’re wrong

how?
how?

You don’t have to be ‘smart’ to get 8’s and 9’s like I’ve already explained

Maybe there really is no hope for you, it seems nothing can change your mind
if u put in the hard work and effort u'll see those 8s and 9s coming, change ur revision style, do past papers, believe in urself, if u don't, ur doomed :smile:
You don’t have to be ‘smart’ to get 8’s and 9’s like I’ve already explained

Maybe there really is no hope for you, it seems nothing can change your mind

Sorry! its just...i struggle a lot with low self esteem and doubt...im really sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest