The Student Room Group

Why are people still stock piling?

we're low on toilet rolls and tissues, my mums been to the shops too many times but there's always none there. I still don't get why people need so much toilet roll, what are they doing with it?

Scroll to see replies

Hoarding, using or reselling.
I concur with Londonmyst, but I also think it is a mentality and mindset.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
Hoarding, using or reselling.

it's frustrating to keep going and not getting the item you want want when you know there's plenty to go round and it's just sitting in some stockpilers house.

i go shopping like 5+ times a week [always have done as i don't have a car], and i remember you saying this is too much, but it's actually coming in handy now as i have 5 chances a week of getting items that may have previously been out of stock. and they don't all get stocked up overnight, stock in regularly being put on shelves throughout the day i've noticed.... so those people turning up at like 6am are not necessarily guaranteed to get everything they want.

it's a raffle basically.

i turned up today and was able to get painkillers. staff was in the medicine isle unloading stock. 15 minutes later almost all the painkillers was gone.
My local Co Op got loo roll back in today, they had 9, 4 and 2 packs, I bought a 4 pack and felt like Jesus. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
My local Co Op got loo roll back in today, they had 9, 4 and 2 packs, I bought a 4 pack and felt like Jesus. :tongue:

you should have gone for a 9 pack imo
Original post by Anonymusy
we're low on toilet rolls and tissues, my mums been to the shops too many times but there's always none there. I still don't get why people need so much toilet roll, what are they doing with it?

Fear and over protection.
The toilet roll imo is a mystery, but was in a less popular end of town and the shop had 18 roll packs, then went into another and it had 9 roll packs plus paracetamol.

Take kitchen roll or if after soap then use sopa bars , washing up liquid, shower wash etc.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Fear and over protection.
The toilet roll imo is a mystery, but was in a less popular end of town and the shop had 18 roll packs, then went into another and it had 9 roll packs plus paracetamol.

Take kitchen roll or if after soap then use sopa bars , washing up liquid, shower wash etc.

From what I gather, it seems like cities and very dense areas are experiencing more sortages than towns and more rural areas.

my parents live in London and from what they say it's harder to get stuff than where I live [a town]
Original post by ANM775
From what I gather, it seems like cities and very dense areas are experiencing more sortages than towns and more rural areas.

my parents live in London and from what they say it's harder to get stuff than where I live [a town]

London is unlike anywhere else, they have enjoyed all the benefits .
Shopping isnt in a crisis. Will just take some time to work its way up. Would help if ppeople werent overshopping.
Original post by ANM775
you should have gone for a 9 pack imo

And yet, through my sacrifice, you will live.
And yet, through my sacrifice, you will live.

It's just all about giving with you, SH, isn't it? :laugh:
Original post by Reality Check
It's just all about giving with you, SH, isn't it? :laugh:

Well....no, it's about giving after i've already got what I want :tongue:

I prefer Strider/Stri generally, I only added the Hort because some LOTR goon stole the name before me
Well....no, it's about giving after i've already got what I want :tongue:

I prefer Strider/Stri generally, I only added the Hort because some LOTR goon stole the name before me

I'll remember that.

'LOTR goon' :laugh: brilliant.
Original post by Reality Check
I'll remember that.

'LOTR goon' :laugh: brilliant.

I can't deny there's a certain antipathy there...

I take my net name from the old Capcom game and have done for god, 20 years odd. I have to endure so many god damn LOTR gags and questions....NO! SPACE NINJA!. None of this ' sacrifice for the fellowship' haimes, it's all about blasting through unknown life with a cool cloak and a laser sword and eating the things your dead enemies turn into.
Reply 14
I've been sent a fair few stockpiling videos based in the UK and come across a few myself online, and have noticed asian women seem to strongly feature in such videos [more than any other demographic], .. which leads me to believe asians are the worst stockpilers [sorry if that sounds racist]
Reply 15
here's a tip. Try going to supermarkets inside your local indoor shopping centre.

The general public seem to be overlooking these now that the lockdown is in place. The one near me was much better stocked than all the regular supermarkets in the area, and there was 0 people walking around the store today at 4pm and just one person when i went a few days ago [a sign few people are using the store]. I was able to get a couple of items there which were sold out completely in sainsburys. The store was so well stocked that you would not think there was a national shortage of food in supermarkets.

If your supermarket is on a major highstreet or popular area [like in this video], then most likely it will just keep getting stripped bare

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2020/03/video-crowds-surge-into-brixtons-iceland-supermarket-as-coronavirus-panic-buying-continues/
Original post by ANM775
here's a tip. Try going to supermarkets inside your local indoor shopping centre.

The general public seem to be overlooking these now that the lockdown is in place. The one near me was much better stocked than all the regular supermarkets in the area, and there was 0 people walking around the store today at 4pm and just one person when i went a few days ago [a sign few people are using the store]. I was able to get a couple of items there which were sold out completely in sainsburys. The store was so well stocked that you would not think there was a national shortage of food in supermarkets.

If your supermarket is on a major highstreet or popular area [like in this video], then most likely it will just keep getting stripped bare

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2020/03/video-crowds-surge-into-brixtons-iceland-supermarket-as-coronavirus-panic-buying-continues/

I went to the Asda at my local shopping centre yesterday and was queuing for 20 mins to get in as they had a 1 in 1 out policy. However, it was nice and quiet inside and I got everything on my list. They seemed fairly well stocked up too. However it was 11am and already sold out of rice and had very little pasta left.
Reply 17
Original post by Precious Illusions
I went to the Asda at my local shopping centre yesterday and was queuing for 20 mins to get in as they had a 1 in 1 out policy. However, it was nice and quiet inside and I got everything on my list. They seemed fairly well stocked up too. However it was 11am and already sold out of rice and had very little pasta left.

seems like your one was busier than mine. mine was in the indoor shopping centre. This may have helped it get overlooked?
mine also is situated in a corner of the shopping centre, not the main part.

In anycase, I think i'll be visiting that store a lot more over the coming the weeks.

There is a big sainsburys 5 minutes away situated outside, and i think most people are going to that one ...because it constantly has low stock, has lots of people, and things go out of stock within a few hours sometimes when replenished.
(edited 4 years ago)
no bloody idea! they never once said that shops were going to close so i don't understand why people are still panic buying. i'm counting down the days until this whole pissing pandemic is over and we can go back to normal and i'm able to walk into a grocery store without having to line up for hours to go inside and see a nicely stacked store. sadly i'm guessing its going to be a while yet until that happens but one day it will go back to normal... one day....

as for toilet roll trying going to the supermarket at opening times, thats the best time to see if you can get some. try marks and spencers, they have the more fancier kind which means it will be more expensive which means there will hopefully be more of them there. when i went there was still a shelf full of them. but again i went at 9am. alternatively you can try online like eBay, they will be selling the low quality kind but needs must and all that

and i've found this website too https://www.banggood.com/24-Rolls-Toilet-Paper-Bulk-Rolls-Bath-Tissue-Bathroom-White-Soft-p-1649398.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN but bear in my that i don't know how authentic this website is OR how quickly you will be getting the delivery. i've ordered a few things online myself and some things STILL haven't bloody turned up yet. if you're willing to chance it buy one pack if you don't mind losing a bit of money on the off chance it doesn't arrive.
Original post by ANM775
I've been sent a fair few stockpiling videos based in the UK and come across a few myself online, and have noticed asian women seem to strongly feature in such videos [more than any other demographic], .. which leads me to believe asians are the worst stockpilers [sorry if that sounds racist]

I'm noticing that too and not trying to stereotype here either but my theory is they own a newsagents and buy them in bulk at a grocery store so that they can sell them individually and a more expensive price in their own shop.

Quick Reply

Latest