The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St. Andrews Uni vs Edinburgh Uni

I’ve received unconditional offers from both St. Andrews uni and Edinburgh uni to study international relations. However I don’t know which one to accept.
How is the nightlife in both unis? I like to go out and go to parties clubs etc
Which one is more prestigious? I’ve seen that St. Andrews is about 3rd best in the uk but Edinburgh is better worldwide?
Is there too many raaahs and posh people in St. Andrews?
Reply 1
From what I understand St Andrews is generally considered better for undergrad whereas Edinburgh is better for postgrad. This is why there's discrepancies between national and international rankings; they use different measurement techniques. When it comes to nightlife St Andrews is mostly pubs (only 1 club), and Edinburgh obviously has just about everything being a largish city. Prestige is a very subjective thing so I wouldn't worry too much. Both are well regarded with St Andy's having the edge on undergrad and Edinburgh winning out in postgrad. For rahs St Andrews is pretty bad. From visiting and talking to students they do seem to be quite a pervasive force at the uni. It's the second most privately educated uni in the UK though so that's to be expected. This is all just from research as I had to make this decision earlier. Eventually I picked St Andrews so that might bias my view a little, but I should also say I'm from the countryside as it is so the small isolated town deal was my kinda thing.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by conorrhh
I’ve received unconditional offers from both St. Andrews uni and Edinburgh uni to study international relations. However I don’t know which one to accept.
Which one is more prestigious? I’ve seen that St. Andrews is about 3rd best in the uk but Edinburgh is better worldwide?

What grades did you get to be given an unconditional?
Original post by Anonymous
What grades did you get to be given an unconditional?

AAAAB
Original post by willh1239
AAAAB

Hi

I’ve accepted St A for IR, I’m from Glasgow. I’m really into partying, that’s sort of my thing, but St A is difficult to turn down especially IR. Is there still some nightlife? and do a fair a bit of people go to Dundee for proper night clubs? which is what I’m thinking of doing cause I have a lot of friends at Dundee uni)

Having some regrets that maybe I should of picked Edinburgh cause it’s a bigger city and better nightlife.
Hi

I’ve accepted St A for IR, I’m from Glasgow. I’m really into partying, that’s sort of my thing, but St A is difficult to turn down especially IR. Is there still some nightlife? and do a fair a bit of people go to Dundee for proper night clubs? which is what I’m thinking of doing cause I have a lot of friends at Dundee uni)

Having some regrets that maybe I should of picked Edinburgh cause it’s a bigger city and better nightlife.

Original post by DizZzZy
From what I understand St Andrews is generally considered better for undergrad whereas Edinburgh is better for postgrad. This is why there's discrepancies between national and international rankings; they use different measurement techniques. When it comes to nightlife St Andrews is mostly pubs (only 1 club), and Edinburgh obviously has just about everything being a largish city. Prestige is a very subjective thing so I wouldn't worry too much. Both are well regarded with St Andy's having the edge on undergrad and Edinburgh winning out in postgrad. For rahs St Andrews is pretty bad. From visiting and talking to students they do seem to be quite a pervasive force at the uni. It's the second most privately educated uni in the UK though so that's to be expected. This is all just from research as I had to make this decision earlier. Eventually I picked St Andrews so that might bias my view a little, but I should also say I'm from the countryside as it is so the small isolated town deal was my kinda thing.

St Andrews nightlife is unique to the town. It's mainly bars, some of which have a dance floor and do a "club" night once a week but the main club is the one at the union. Everything closes at 2am in St Andrews. People do go to Dundee but considering the semester is only 16 weeks long, you probably won't be going to Dundee that often. Also, once you're in St Andrews you tend to adapt to the nightlife there and won't miss proper nightclubs, you can always enjoy those when you go back home to Glasgow. There are also a few "open to everyone" house parties and parties in halls which is most likely where you'll be living in your first year.
Original post by StAMed2019
St Andrews nightlife is unique to the town. It's mainly bars, some of which have a dance floor and do a "club" night once a week but the main club is the one at the union. Everything closes at 2am in St Andrews. People do go to Dundee but considering the semester is only 16 weeks long, you probably won't be going to Dundee that often. Also, once you're in St Andrews you tend to adapt to the nightlife there and won't miss proper nightclubs, you can always enjoy those when you go back home to Glasgow. There are also a few "open to everyone" house parties and parties in halls which is most likely where you'll be living in your first year.

Thanks for your advice, I found this helpful. Do you find people get sick of st Andrews by 3rd year because of how small it is?
Original post by conorrhh

What grades were you predicted?
Reply 9
Thanks for your advice, I found this helpful. Do you find people get sick of st Andrews by 3rd year because of how small it is?

I wouldn’t say I know many 3rd years that are sick of StA. In fact, many people consider 3rd year to be the most fun as you get to be an academic parent and celebrate Raisin weekend by getting your kids really drunk and run around town making them do stupid stuff, plus the infamous foam fight (Raisin is one of our traditions here, google it and you’ll find loads of stuff on it)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending