The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Mathematics without FM?

How possible is it to get into edinburgh Mathematics without fm? im ofc going for A* in my maths but im not doing fm. do you guys think i have a chance lol. My grades are probably gonna be D*D*D + A* in math (or atleast thats whats predicted) Im also hoping i get contextual offer lol cus for some universities i do, i cant check with edinburgh yet tho
It's because of the degree structure at Scottish unis.

At St Andrews, if you don't take further maths, you have to take the 4-year degree so in your first year, you'll take other modules in subjects that aren't maths (only 1/3 of my 1st year was maths), and in second year, you are strongly encouraged to take modules in another subject (I didn't).

However, if you take further maths and have good enough grades, you can apply for 2nd-year direct entry where you will focus on maths from the very beginning. Edinburgh will be similar to this.
Original post by Uni_student3132
It's because of the degree structure at Scottish unis.

At St Andrews, if you don't take further maths, you have to take the 4-year degree so in your first year, you'll take other modules in subjects that aren't maths (only 1/3 of my 1st year was maths), and in second year, you are strongly encouraged to take modules in another subject (I didn't).

However, if you take further maths and have good enough grades, you can apply for 2nd-year direct entry where you will focus on maths from the very beginning. Edinburgh will be similar to this.

hooolieee shieet i didnt even realise its 4 years lol. thats actually a relief. so they do let ppl in without fm and its basically like a foundation year?
Original post by revo349
hooolieee shieet i didnt even realise its 4 years lol. thats actually a relief. so they do let ppl in without fm and its basically like a foundation year?

Not really a foundation year, it's just how the Scottish system works as they can choose to go to uni a year earlier. It gives people more flexibility in choosing degree choice and at St Andrews at least, it's very easy to switch from one subject to another after that first year.
Not really a foundation year, it's just how the Scottish system works as they can choose to go to uni a year earlier. It gives people more flexibility in choosing degree choice and at St Andrews at least, it's very easy to switch from one subject to another after that first year.

dahm thats dope, also wait st andrews also has a 4 year math course where u dont need fm?
Original post by revo349
dahm thats dope, also wait st andrews also has a 4 year math course where u dont need fm?

Yep. I'm in my last year doing maths, didn't do further maths (although I didn't actually apply for maths. Switched from another subject but it was no trouble. Just had to do the right module in 1st year).
Yep. I'm in my last year doing maths, didn't do further maths (although I didn't actually apply for maths. Switched from another subject but it was no trouble. Just had to do the right module in 1st year).

dahmmm nice, what did u get in ur A levels? must have been good lol
Original post by revo349
dahmmm nice, what did u get in ur A levels? must have been good lol

Three A*s, but was in 2020 with teacher assessed grades.
Three A*s, but was in 2020 with teacher assessed grades.

oh dahm fair. what a goat. what did u study in your first year if you dont mind me asking. Do you need to do something like related to math to switch? or can it legit be anything aha
Original post by revo349
oh dahm fair. what a goat. what did u study in your first year if you dont mind me asking. Do you need to do something like related to math to switch? or can it legit be anything aha

Biology. For maths, could be essentially anything (apart from medicine for obvious reasons) as it's offered in both the faculties of science and arts.

Just to be clear, this is about St Andrews. I believe Edinburgh is a bit less flexible than St Andrews but all the stuff about the general structure is the same.
Biology. For maths, could be essentially anything (apart from medicine for obvious reasons) as it's offered in both the faculties of science and arts.

Just to be clear, this is about St Andrews. I believe Edinburgh is a bit less flexible than St Andrews but all the stuff about the general structure is the same.

yeeyee gotchu. thanks for the help mayn

Quick Reply

Latest