The Student Room Group

Interpretation of memory in neuroscience and psychology

I'm supposed to be writing essays for biology and one of the topics I chose is human memory. I looked up the definition and already it was confusing since in neuroscience it was described as a neurochemical process and another meaning said 'a faculty which encodes, stores and recalls information'.

I chose the latter, then I read further about the multistore model and working model and idk which should I refer to throughout the essay. I looked up the parts of the brain and the roles of each part doesn't seem to reference any model at all.

What's the difference between the meaning of memory in neuroscience and psychology?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by firryz
I'm supposed to be writing essays for biology and one of the topics I chose is human memory. I looked up the definition and already it was confusing since in neuroscience it was described as a neurochemical process and another meaning said 'a faculty which encodes, stores and recalls information'.

I chose the latter, then I read further about the multistore model and working model and idk which should I refer to throughout the essay. I looked up the parts of the brain and the roles of each part doesn't seem to reference any model at all.

What's the difference because the meaning of memory in neuroscience and psychology?

Do you study psychology? I do both A level bio and psychology so can probs help
Reply 2
Nope, just A level bio, the most i know of psychology is related to memory in the aqa syllabue whivh i looked uo
Reply 3
Original post by firryz
Nope, just A level bio, the most i know of psychology is related to memory in the aqa syllabue whivh i looked uo

Ok so what part in particular do you need to link up
Reply 4
my question is in the desc, whats the diff in the meaning of memory in neuroscience and psychology
Reply 5
Original post by firryz
my question is in the desc, whats the diff in the meaning of memory in neuroscience and psychology

Ok so in terms of psychology there are a few theories of how the mind works. One of them is the multi store model which is a simple model that shows how the brain processes information into different stores. I've attached a pic of it if it works lmao.
It's not as complicated as it looks, basically you have the input (so a conversation for example) this goes to the sensory memory which is short term. If the information from the input is important you need to pay attention to it, rehearse it then the info is processed into the long term memory. This theory doesn't focus enough on the LTM (long term mem) so this is where an improved model comes in, Working Memory Model. (WMM)

This model Shows how you pay attention to the information, and therefore how it is processed depending on if it is visual, phonological or spoken. It looks quite complex but if you look at the handouts from my revision guide below they should be more clear than my useless explanation.

So basically to answer your question, neuroscience is based on how the CNS an neurons are involved in memory where as with psychology it's more about processing and how different areas of the brain are used for different processing rather than electrical impulses.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for the help I appreciate it, I just need to find a way to intuitively link both the neuroscience and psychology parts in a shorter form

harder than it seems, for me atleast
Original post by firryz

What's the difference between the meaning of memory in neuroscience and psychology?

Moved to study help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending