The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Equivalency testing

Hi everyone, I am quite new to TSR forums. I have been asked to sit for GCSE Maths equivalency testing for getting A-C for my PGCE course. Considering I'm a mature student and maths is something I categorically hate lol, any idea on how to pass this? what books or revision materials to use? Many thanks for your help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by guynextdoor
Hi everyone, I am quite new to TSR forums. I have been asked to sit for GCSE Maths equivalency testing for getting A-C for my PGCE course. Considering I'm a mature student and maths is something I categorically hate lol, any idea on how to pass this? what books or revision materials to use? Many thanks for your help.

Hi @guynextdoor,
first of all, you need to have the syllabus of the course so you can focus your revision. Most equivalency testing companies have it on their website- if it is an equivalency testing done by a university- I am sure they will provide you with the syllabus for the course. You could use the BBC GCSE Bitesize website to support your revision and I would get a GCSE Maths revision guide. Many equivalency testing companies sell their own support pack, as well but it might be a pricier option. It might be a good idea for practice to do a few sample papers- you could also do some GCSE Maths papers from any GCSE boards (AQA, Pearsons, OCR, WJEC). The past papers and mark-schemes are available for free on their website.
I hope this helps.

Laure
Reply 2
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi @guynextdoor,
first of all, you need to have the syllabus of the course so you can focus your revision. Most equivalency testing companies have it on their website- if it is an equivalency testing done by a university- I am sure they will provide you with the syllabus for the course. You could use the BBC GCSE Bitesize website to support your revision and I would get a GCSE Maths revision guide. Many equivalency testing companies sell their own support pack, as well but it might be a pricier option. It might be a good idea for practice to do a few sample papers- you could also do some GCSE Maths papers from any GCSE boards (AQA, Pearsons, OCR, WJEC). The past papers and mark-schemes are available for free on their website.
I hope this helps.

Laure

HI I am doing CGP GCSE Revision book + BBC Bitesize, is that enough?
Hey are you doing it through the Equivalency Testing company? If so, they haven't said if it's taking place in person or online?
Reply 4
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Hey are you doing it through the Equivalency Testing company? If so, they haven't said if it's taking place in person or online?

Hi no, I was considering ET and MME, but they only provide 1-2 past exam papers, thats it.
Original post by guynextdoor
HI I am doing CGP GCSE Revision book + BBC Bitesize, is that enough?

Hi @guynextdoor,
it is hard to say as it is different for everyone. As I mentioned before, I think it would be beneficial for you to do some past GCSE Maths paper- foundation level- it would be good practice for you and it would also highlight the areas you need to work on.
On Youtube, you have some GCSE Maths revision videos- I particularly recommend the ones produced by Primrose Kitten.
I hope this helps.
Laure
Reply 6
Hi
if anyone has taken english test with ET then please kindly share the contents of writing and poetry section.
it would be a great help from anyone who did the exam in july 2020
Hi
I am doing my GCSE Maths equivalency test next week. I struggle with maths but my revision is going better than I expected. I’m doing the foundation paper. Just wondering anyone who’s done it. It’s it really hard? Or as someone who finds maths hard do I have a chance of passing 😂
Can you know me know how you get on with the Maths exams as I’m due to do mine this summer?
Original post by zoebowey103
Can you know me know how you get on with the Maths exams as I’m due to do mine this summer?

Yeah of course. I’m doing it on Sunday so I’ll let you know. Any idea how difficult they are? I just want a bit of an idea?
Good luck! No idea your doing the exam before me I haven’t even booked mine yet as I don’t feel ready
Good luck! No idea your doing the exam before me I haven’t even booked mine yet as I don’t feel ready

Thanks. I waited to book mine until I was ready . Best thing to do
Original post by becjohns26
Thanks. I waited to book mine until I was ready . Best thing to do

Hey, unfortunately I didn’t pass the exam. It is quite hard. Definitely revise algebra and graphs
Hey, unfortunately I didn’t pass the exam. It is quite hard. Definitely revise algebra and graphs

Aww I’m sorry you didn’t pass!
Thanks for the heads up and good luck!
Aww I’m sorry you didn’t pass!
Thanks for the heads up and good luck!

Thank you. I wasn’t far off. The first 25 are multiple choice. After that they get harder and you need to show working
Thanks so much for letting me know I really appreciate it!!
Hi
I am doing my GCSE Maths equivalency test next week. I struggle with maths but my revision is going better than I expected. I’m doing the foundation paper. Just wondering anyone who’s done it. It’s it really hard? Or as someone who finds maths hard do I have a chance of passing 😂

Yeah of course. I’m doing it on Sunday so I’ll let you know. Any idea how difficult they are? I just want a bit of an idea?

Hi could I ask how your exam went please? I'm looking at taking mine in 3 weeks. I've been revising the syllabus but struggle with complex wordy questions! Could you possibly give me an idea of the type of questions/areas to focus on. And how did you find the actual online examination? I'm a little confused by the whole idea of it

Thanks in advance x

Hey how was it was it harder then actual gcse ans also did you do it with a star equivalency ?
Hey did you do with a star gcse equivalency ?? And also did you buy the course or practice tnrn past papers or did you only book the test itself. Was it two papers ?? Sorry for so many questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending