The Student Room Group

Autistic man murdered by Israeli police

A truly heinous crime. One i very much doubt the plods responsible will ever see justice for (as opposed to probably getting a medal).

Hundreds of people have attended the funeral of an autistic Palestinian man who was shot dead by Israeli police.
Iyad Halaq, 32, was killed on Saturday in occupied East Jerusalem while he walked to his special needs school.
Israel's police force said officers suspected Mr Halaq was carrying a weapon and that they opened fire when he failed to obey orders to stop. He was later found to have been unarmed.
Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz expressed regret over the shooting.
"We are sorry about the incident in which Iyad Halaq was shot, and we of course share in the grief of his family. I am sure this issue will be quickly investigated and conclusions will be drawn," he told a cabinet meeting on Sunday.
Mr Gantz added that Israeli security forces would "make every effort to use necessary force with the intention of reducing casualties as much as possible".

Tensions have risen in recent weeks after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would press ahead with a plan to annex parts of the occupied West Bank.
The Palestinian Authority has responded by saying it is no longer bound by agreements with Israel and the United States - which backs Israel keeping part of the West Bank - including those relating to security.
Iyad Halaq would walk every day from his home in Jerusalem's Wadi al-Joz area to the Old City to go to the Elwyn El Quds centre, which provides services for children and adults with disabilities.
Mr Halaq's cousin, Dr Hatem Awiwi, said he was on the low-functioning end of the autism spectrum and that he had trouble communicating with people.

"He didn't know what a police officer is," Dr Awiwi told Israel's Haaretz newspaper. "He saw a stranger and fled, and then they shot him."
An Israeli police statement said units on patrol in the Old City "spotted a suspect with a suspicious object that looked like a pistol".
"They called upon him to stop and began to chase after him on foot. During the chase, officers also opened fire at the suspect, who was neutralised," it added. "No weapon was found at the scene after the area was searched."

An autopsy carried out on Sunday found Mr Halaq was shot twice in the chest.
"The findings increase the suspicion that the policemen committed crimes, and we expect those responsible for the investigation to move it forward and put the policemen on trial," the Halaq family's lawyer, Jad Qadmani, said.

The secretary general of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), Saab Erekat, said it was "crime that will be met with impunity unless the world stops treating Israel as a state above the law".
He drew parallels with the killing of George Floyd in the US, which has sparked widespread protests.
Palestinians and Israelis protested against the killing of Mr Halaq in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Jaffa on Saturday and Sunday. Some carried posters saying "Justice for Iyad" and "Palestinian lives matter".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-52876014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Napp
A truly heinous crime. One i very much doubt the plods responsible will ever see justice for (as opposed to probably getting a medal).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-52876014

That is truly disgusting. There should be much more done in these cases but, as you've said, is not likely to take place.
What can you do?
I don't think there are going to be 'Low-functioning autistic lives matter' campaign. Your not going to see people on the streets worldwide.

The autistic community is too busy trying to validate its self by saying all autism is essentially equal in severity.

Police officers and other public officials could be offered training on how to communicate with autistic people. But they have been receiving discrimination training for years (in the context of black people), but the police are still systemically racist.

I wonder whether (this may constitute a major human rights abuse and make autistic people more vulnerable) if LF autistic people could be GPS tagged/ microchiped so the police can quickly identify that they probably aren't a threat based on running away/ weird body language.
Reply 3
Original post by glassalice
What can you do?
I don't think there are going to be 'Low-functioning autistic lives matter' campaign. Your not going to see people on the streets worldwide.

The autistic community is too busy trying to validate its self by saying all autism is essentially equal in severity.

Police officers and other public officials could be offered training on how to communicate with autistic people. But they have been receiving discrimination training for years (in the context of black people), but the police are still systemically racist.

I wonder whether (this may constitute a major human rights abuse and make autistic people more vulnerable) if LF autistic people could be GPS tagged/ microchiped so the police can quickly identify that they probably aren't a threat based on running away/ weird body language.

Microchipping a human!? That is too far. Plus, that might make them the target of even more abuse from the police force. I am not saying anyone committing a crime is in the right here, but a lot of people are autistic and you are practically suggesting for them to be tagged because of it. Besides, it wouldn't be the countries that cause the abuse that would use it for any beneficial reason other than an acute form of discrimination.
Original post by Moonbow
Microchipping a human!? That is too far. Plus, that might make them the target of even more abuse from the police force. I am not saying anyone committing a crime is in the right here, but a lot of people are autistic and you are practically suggesting for them to be tagged because of it. Besides, it wouldn't be the countries that cause the abuse that would use it for any beneficial reason other than an acute form of discrimination.

It was just a thought.
At no point did I suggest people should be microchiped for being autistic, I was suggesting that people could be microchiped if they lacked the ability to communicate (I was trying to imply this by the use of the term low functioning) , for their own safety.
And no, it probably wouldn't be a paractical solution for say Israel.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
It was just a thought.
At no point did I suggest people should be microchiped for being autistic, I was suggesting that people could be microchiped if they lacked the ability to communicate (I was trying to imply this by the use of the term low functioning) , for their own safety.
And no, it probably wouldn't be a paractical solution for say Israel.

Ah, I can see your thinking :smile:
Maybe not this way, but another method could work quite well
Dunno if it's a crime - e.g. American cops seem to shoot an innocent deaf person every few years.
Original post by Joinedup
Dunno if it's a crime - e.g. American cops seem to shoot an innocent deaf person every few years.

That's like saying that it's not a crime for the police to shoot black people because black people are regularly shot by the police
That's like saying that it's not a crime for the police to shoot black people because black people are regularly shot by the police

not really
not really

Explain.

Being black is an ethnicity

Being Deaf and being profoundly autistic are both hidden disabilities* that can prevent an innocent person reacting appropriately** when challenged by an armed cop.

* hidden disability is significant cos the cops can't tell whether or not someone is affected at a glance - but they might have to make split second decisions about whether or not to shoot them.

** appropriately as defined by the armed cop - this is significant because they're the one making the split second decision about who to shoot.
Being black is an ethnicity

Being Deaf and being profoundly autistic are both hidden disabilities* that can prevent an innocent person reacting appropriately** when challenged by an armed cop.

* hidden disability is significant cos the cops can't tell whether or not someone is affected at a glance - but they might have to make split second decisions about whether or not to shoot them.

** appropriately as defined by the armed cop - this is significant because they're the one making the split second decision about who to shoot.

The level of autism we are talking about here isn't exactly going to be invisible.

Autistic people are people in the same way that black people are people in the same way that white people are people.

So you are telling me that the police would never target an autistic person for being autistic (this could only occur if the autism isn't so invisible).
(edited 3 years ago)
The level of autism we are talking about here isn't exactly going to be invisible.

Autistic people are people in the same way that black people are people in the same way that white people are people.

So you are telling me that the police would never target an autistic person for being autistic (this could only occur if the autism isn't so invisible).

OK Newman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rE03PGQfA

Next time why don't you bother to fully embed the video?
Next time why don't you bother to fully embed the video?

someone recently told me it crapped all over the quote / reply buttons for them so I've stopped doing it
Reply 15

People with autism are humans, not objects. You cannot just microchip / tag someone :s-smilie:
Original post by LovelyMrFox
People with autism are humans, not objects. You cannot just microchip / tag someone :s-smilie:

Yeah, maybe. It was basically me thinking out loud. And the principle is uncomfortable.
The idea is that people who are unable to communicate for them selves could be easily identified.
Parents 'tag' their teenagers through phones, some people also use GPS tracking on relatives with dementia.
However I am talking more about a medical alert system though.
The same principle in theory could be expanded to diabetic people (for example).
Reply 17
Yeah, maybe. It was basically me thinking out loud. And the principle is uncomfortable.
The idea is that people who are unable to communicate for them selves could be easily identified.
Parents 'tag' their teenagers through phones, some people also use GPS tracking on relatives with dementia.
However I am talking more about a medical alert system though.
The same principle in theory could be expanded to diabetic people (for example).

Or you could do something more humane and just put them in a database as autistic?
Or you could do something more humane and just put them in a database as autistic?

I think glassalice was thinking about a very quick way for cops to identify autistic people in a split second when they were deciding whether to shoot them or not.

If the autistic person is already communicating with the cops well enough for the cops to be looking them up on a database, the cop probably isn't thinking about shooting them any more.

No, a centralised database actually does seem wrong, I don't like the sound of a 'register', uncomfortable undertones. How would you identify each person anyway? Finger print identification sounds like the main option here. I think the act of taking a finger print could be challenging.

Microchips would provide immediate identification and all data could be held locally on the chip.

Latest

Trending

Trending