The Student Room Group

UCLA lecturer G.Klein suspended after refusing lenient marking for black students

Poll

What should happen?

Rude, Racist OR Victim
Students wrote to accountancy professor Gordon Klein, requesting that black students final exams are marked with leniency in light of the recent killing.
He responded:

Spoiler

This has lead to a 3 week suspension. Petitions calling for him to be sacked have been set up. Did he actually do/ say anything wrong? Has the world gone mad OR is he quote 'insensitive, dismissive, and woefully racist'.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If this isn't fake news and this is all there is to the story, then no! Definitely, no! No to affirmative action. No to racism in all its forms. There is no such thing as positive racism. Racism is destructive in all its forms. People should not receive favourable treatment based on the colour of their skin.
I’m going to wait and see if anyone on TSR thinks he’s done something wrong, because I’m finding it very, very hard.

And to call for him to be sacked?!

WTF?!

Spoiler

^This is the long explanation about why Gordon Klein must be sacked, from the petition.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
So by their logic everyone should get full marks whenever some random person gets killed?
For a supposed top tier university it is full of dumb ****ers.
I don't think he really did anything wrong but the email itself was kind of insensitive especially if it was sent to the students themselves.
All the email does is provoke some critical thinking about the stupidity of the suggestion, albeit not in as friendly a tone as they could.
Reply 7
He came across as a ****, but he's not particularly wrong.
Original post by Diplomatic
All the email does is provoke some critical thinking about the stupidity of the suggestion, albeit not in as friendly a tone as they could.

I agree, he could have written it more professionally/kindly but there’s still nothing ‘racist’ about it.

Maybe it’s time these students actually speak directly with the professor? Doubt they would want to though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
He came across as a ****, but he's not particularly wrong.

This.
Reply 10
When you ask a dumb question you deserve to be shot down. If something like this was allowed, then anyone from any race could request leniency if someone from their same race was killed in similar circumstances. It's just ludicrous.

It's getting to the point where black people are like "if you don't give me this you're racist".
Reply 11
Original post by glassalice
Has the world gone mad OR is he quote 'insensitive, dismissive, and woefully racist'.

The world is 'going mad' but not but accident or misfortune, the worst thing everyone sane can do is ignore what is causing it. By now, it's systemic.
Surely you can't give better grades based on grades
That's really low that they would try to profit from the killing and protests like this. Really low.
Original post by Legomenon
That's really low that they would try to profit from the killing and protests like this. Really low.

Worst is that they can’t even begin to realise the damage it’s doing...
Original post by z-hog
The world is 'going mad' but not but accident or misfortune, the worst thing everyone sane can do is ignore what is causing it. By now, it's systemic.

It sadly is. Lecturers in far more senior roles have lost their jobs for far less. In 2005, Professor Lawrence Summers, then president of Harvard, was forced to resign his job at the university after incurring the wrath of feminists in academia by simply suggesting the idea that the wage gap might be caused by innate differences between the two genders. This problem is not limited to academia. It's widespread. James Damore is testament to this.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Diplomatic

Yeah he definitely could've been more professional about it. Of course he's right, but this is not the way a professor should be speaking to students.
The world has gone mad, unfortunately.
Reply 18
Original post by Occitanie
I agree, he could have written it more professionally/kindly but there’s still nothing ‘racist’ about it.

Maybe it’s time these students actually speak directly with the professor? Doubt they would want to though.

I'd say it was spot on. These students need to be told under no uncertain terms that they are absolute morons. They are treating black people as if they are special needs children and it's really quite grotesque,
Reply 19
Original post by Pinkisk
It sadly is. Lecturers in far more senior roles have lost their jobs for far less. In 2005, Professor Lawrence Summers, then president of Harvard, was forced to resign his job at the university after incurring the wrath of feminists in academia by simply suggesting the idea that the wage gap might be caused by innate differences between the two genders. This problem is not limited to academia. It's widespread. James Damore is testament to this.

The world of academia is like the pressure cooker for all this, disseminated through a network of strategically funded media outlets and NGOs. It is being turned into a network of training camps, the whole thing. Serious stuff, actually.

Latest

Trending

Trending