The Student Room Group

Canvas grade

Hi I just wanted to ask whether the final grade on my canvas is deducted or will I have to calculate it?
Reply 1
Your canvas grade is your provisional final grade - subject to exam board approval.
Reply 2
Does that apply to assignments
Original post by mike23mike
Your canvas grade is your provisional final grade - subject to exam board approval.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Does that apply to assignments

Yes. All assignments and written exams are marked by the module/class coordinator and then a sample will be second marked by a colleague - 10%. For UG courses with hundreds of students, there may be a team of tutors marking a selection of the assessments. The Module Coordinator's job is to moderate the marking across the tutor team to ensure Tutor A is not marking too harshly and Tutor B is not marking too leniently. Assuming the marking has been fair, then the marks are released to the students. The only proviso is that the exam board has to ratify the final mark.

Before the exam board, the external examiner would have reviewed a sample of all the assessments across all the modules to independently determine if the marking has been fair. Usually, the external examiner is allowed to pick a sample of whichever assessment he/she pleases so that the teaching team cannot 'feed' the external examiner with the assessments they want the external to see.

Only after the exam board has approved the marks, is the mark the 'final' mark. There will be an exam board at the end of Semester 1 and another at the end of Semester 2 where the marks from each semester are ratified. The semester 2 exam board is more important since it's at this board when decisions are made on whether to let the student continue their studies to the next year or ratify the final grade if it's the final year of study - 1st, 2.1, 2.2 etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending