The Student Room Group

Uni using IP address

sorry want to remove this now
(edited 2 years ago)
Addressing your points in order.

1. Presumably they detect your IP address that you access the online exam with. This can tell them roughly where your're accessing the exam from to a reasonable level. Officially they can detect it down to your town or closer, but more realistically they can do it to the country. This will likely just be to ensure that it's actually you taking the exam. If you're not palnning on cheating then not an issue!

2. Assuming you've downloaded no extra programs from your uni for the exam then no. In addition if you're connected to the university VPN then they will also likely have the ability to see your site access.

3. Yes. Especially if you're logged into the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) such as blackboard, canvas or moodle. If you're logged in then they can easily identify your download. Otherwise it's possible but unlikely.

They're trying to stop cheating on their exams. If you have no plans to cheat then you'll be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Joe1000000
Addressing your points in order.

1. Presumably they detect your IP address that you access the online exam with. This can tell them roughly where your're accessing the exam from to a reasonable level. Officially they can detect it down to your town or closer, but more realistically they can do it to the country. This will likely just be to ensure that it's actually you taking the exam. If you're not palnning on cheating then not an issue!

2. Assuming you've downloaded no extra programs from your uni for the exam then no. In addition if you're connected to the university VPN then they will also likely have the ability to see your site access.

3. Yes. Especially if you're logged into the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) such as blackboard, canvas or moodle. If you're logged in then they can easily identify your download. Otherwise it's possible but unlikely.

They're trying to stop cheating on their exams. If you have no plans to cheat then you'll be fine.

Thank you!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Thank you!!

Yeah, so my uni uses Canvas, and makes us take the exams on the same website with no extra downloads..so I am guessing they can't really see my websites? It's just weird because I have siblings on similar courses as me so if they can see the websites if I am taking the quiz from Canvas surely they'll think it's ME who's cheating if they're preparing for similar styles of exams? Should I be concerned and tell them?

Ohh so if on Canvas they have different modules, and in the modules, we have lectures, where you can download them in PowerPoint form, can they see that? Because technically Canvas isn't really owned by my uni, as sooo many different ones use it!

And haha I don't plan on cheating but I'm just curious about what they mean and if they are even taking any precautions 😂 (they literally told us oh we're gonna make you sign this statement of integrity which states we won't cheat so it made me feel like they won't even check but I just KNOW people are gonna in my uni, because how will they manage to check everyone's!)

If you're just accessing the exam through a web browser than they can' tell what other websites you're visiting. What they can technically tell is if your mouse cursor is interacting with the exam page, whether they are doing this is a different question. I would suspect not, but have no proof either way.

Who canvas is owned by doesn't really matter. Your uni has bought access to their own canvas server (simplitically put). Although canvas provides the system your uni adminsitrators have control over it, including seeing who downloads what.

If everyone submite the same answers to long form questions then they will likely put more effort into investigating, and as you're confirmed that you agree not to take part in any academic misconduct then they cna take any punitive actions as outlined under the code of conduct for your university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending