The Student Room Group

Why does TSR need jsdelivr.net for the forums to work properly now?

I has come to my attention that jsdelivr.net javascript stuff is being used on these forums.
Why is it needed to make posts.What is it doing with our information and any other uses?
Original post by TheStupidMoon
I has come to my attention that jsdelivr.net javascript stuff is being used on these forums.
Why is it needed to make posts.What is it doing with our information and any other uses?

What is it you think jsDelivr.net does? It's essentially a Content Delivery Network (CDN) which provides a means of accessing other JavaScript packages. So if you look at the source of this page, for example, you'll note that jsDelivr.net is being used to source GrowthBook.

(GrowthBook is an open source platform for A/B testing, where one set of users is provided with one experience and another set is provided with another experience, in order to test the impact on user behaviour. For example - and I'm making-up this example - some users might be shown a green menu bar rather than a blue menu bar to see if it impacts the amount of time they spend on the site.)

On other pages, jsDelivr.net might be used to source other JavaScript packages. It itself is innocuous, it is merely a way to source other packages efficiently and reliably.
Original post by DataVenia
What is it you think jsDelivr.net does? It's essentially a Content Delivery Network (CDN) which provides a means of accessing other JavaScript packages. So if you look at the source of this page, for example, you'll note that jsDelivr.net is being used to source GrowthBook.

(GrowthBook is an open source platform for A/B testing, where one set of users is provided with one experience and another set is provided with another experience, in order to test the impact on user behaviour. For example - and I'm making-up this example - some users might be shown a green menu bar rather than a blue menu bar to see if it impacts the amount of time they spend on the site.)

On other pages, jsDelivr.net might be used to source other JavaScript packages. It itself is innocuous, it is merely a way to source other packages efficiently and reliably.

This is spot on :smile:
That being said - it shouldn't break the page if it cant load! I've squashed that bug now
Thanks for the reply but doesn't this mean that our browsing info goes through yet another 3rd party?
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Thanks for the reply but doesn't this mean that our browsing info goes through yet another 3rd party?

When HTML arrives in your browser, your browser follows a series of instructions in order to build the page. That list of instructions includes "fetch the JavaScript for the GrowthBook A/B testing platform from the jsdelivr.net content delivery network". In order to action that request, jsdelivr.net will get to know your IP address (and it needs to know where to send the JavaScript). The jsdelivr documentation says, "jsDelivr does not store any user data and does not track any users in any way."

What, specifically, do you mean by "browsing info"? If you mean "my IP address", then yes - jsDelivr gets to know that. If you mean the standard information which is supplied to a server as part of any HTTP request (e.g. the User-Agent, which will identify your browser and operating system), then yes - jsDelivr gets to know that. If you mean anything else, then no - jsDelivr doesn't receive that information. Even then, information it does receive isn't stored (see above).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending