The Student Room Group

uni degree conundrum

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

I've been researching a LOT for uni degrees and degree apprenticeships but at the moment, I've had no luck. I'm not completely sure of what I want to do for my career, but I feel as though my strengths are writing. Unfortunately, I never did english lit for a level (I regret it) so I'm ruling that out as an option for degree level since I can't do a foundation year.
There was a route that took my interest but I have little/no experience in it, and that's computer science. I'm interested in programming and AI, even though I've not had the time to try and do it because of a level work. So that makes me worry that I won't like it as much as I think I will. The other route is history; it's a subject that's quite enjoyable for me, but I wouldn't know what to do with a history degree in terms of job prospects.
(my a levels are maths, psychology and history fyi)
So to those who can somewhat relate to my situation/literally anyone with some valuable input, how did you choose the right degree for you?
(edited 3 years ago)
I'll give you my experience of choosing the degree I want to apply for. In Year 7 and 8, I wanted to do Graphic Animation/ Design but I sucked at committing to improving my digital art so I didn't think it was great for me to pursue. Then I looked at traditional art, so architecture was something I wanted to do out of a whim because I thought I would be good at it with no genuine interest in yr 9. This changed when I realised I would absolutely hate it so I was thinking what do I like - HISTORY. So I wanted to do history in yr 10 because I enjoy the lessons and learning about it. In yr 11, I really enjoyed DT so why not product design so it was between product design and history.

This changed in the summer when I got a book on contract law for some reason in a charity shop - I absolutely found it dreadful and I dont know how it got me interested into wanting to do law possibly but it did start. I never have done it and I didn't know I would enjoy it because although I can do some reading to some extent, I hate to read fiction and stuff like that in my own time. I started to do stuff that would get me some knowledge over law but it was only in an essay comp I really wanted to do law but the things I did to see if it was worth considering in the summer helped out in taking the initiative to do law related stuff. I found a degree I genuinely liked a lot (although I liked history and product design, I never was the type of person that passionately liked it to have my favourite monarch like some people in my class and I didnt like a few aspects of product design). Thankfully, I was able to do the A levels I liked without worrying about the required subjects. I actually am passionate about Cyber law tbh and I wish to pursue at masters possibly. Btw I dont plan to do a law career (I'm open to it but not really).

If you think programming and AI might interest you then totally try it out - maybe look at some other courses you could do like data science perhaps? Even if the degree might not have a lot of job prospects (like history), there are a lot of careers that will want that degree - E.g. Law, Finance, Accounting and etc.
Original post by PetitePanda
I'll give you my experience of choosing the degree I want to apply for. In Year 7 and 8, I wanted to do Graphic Animation/ Design but I sucked at committing to improving my digital art so I didn't think it was great for me to pursue. Then I looked at traditional art, so architecture was something I wanted to do out of a whim because I thought I would be good at it with no genuine interest in yr 9. This changed when I realised I would absolutely hate it so I was thinking what do I like - HISTORY. So I wanted to do history in yr 10 because I enjoy the lessons and learning about it. In yr 11, I really enjoyed DT so why not product design so it was between product design and history.

This changed in the summer when I got a book on contract law for some reason in a charity shop - I absolutely found it dreadful and I dont know how it got me interested into wanting to do law possibly but it did start. I never have done it and I didn't know I would enjoy it because although I can do some reading to some extent, I hate to read fiction and stuff like that in my own time. I started to do stuff that would get me some knowledge over law but it was only in an essay comp I really wanted to do law but the things I did to see if it was worth considering in the summer helped out in taking the initiative to do law related stuff. I found a degree I genuinely liked a lot (although I liked history and product design, I never was the type of person that passionately liked it to have my favourite monarch like some people in my class and I didnt like a few aspects of product design). Thankfully, I was able to do the A levels I liked without worrying about the required subjects. I actually am passionate about Cyber law tbh and I wish to pursue at masters possibly. Btw I dont plan to do a law career (I'm open to it but not really).

If you think programming and AI might interest you then totally try it out - maybe look at some other courses you could do like data science perhaps? Even if the degree might not have a lot of job prospects (like history), there are a lot of careers that will want that degree - E.g. Law, Finance, Accounting and etc.

Thank you, this is really helpful :yep:
It sounds like throughout secondary you've changed your mind about what you want to do (like me) but you found something which you're passionate about by taking the time to read into it... but I feel like I'm more inclined to dismiss something that looks boring at face value, without even giving it a chance, so I think I need to try and read more into all sorts of subjects and maybe find a subject that I didn't know I was passionate about :tongue: Again, thanks!
Original post by XKangaotiCX
Thank you, this is really helpful :yep:
It sounds like throughout secondary you've changed your mind about what you want to do (like me) but you found something which you're passionate about by taking the time to read into it... but I feel like I'm more inclined to dismiss something that looks boring at face value, without even giving it a chance, so I think I need to try and read more into all sorts of subjects and maybe find a subject that I didn't know I was passionate about :tongue: Again, thanks!

Haha me too - I just wouldn't dare to anything like English but Law surprised me because it's sometimes philosophical so that makes up for its boringness like contract law. If you like writing, maybe look at social science if you would like that? I hope you find a course you will enjoy :heart:
Here's a link for what to do with a history degree:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/history

Take a look and see what's interests you.
You mentioned that you wanted to go into writing so being a historian or going into internal development institutions/law firms could help with that interest.
Computer science is also popular and it only requires an A Level in Mathematics (which you have already)
Original post by PetitePanda
Haha me too - I just wouldn't dare to anything like English but Law surprised me because it's sometimes philosophical so that makes up for its boringness like contract law. If you like writing, maybe look at social science if you would like that? I hope you find a course you will enjoy :heart:

Ah, I haven't actually considered social science much (even though I do psychology ahah :redface:) The part that puts me off is the negative reputation of psychology/sociology studies.. but I do genuinely like psychology as a subject so you've definitely given me food for thought.
And good luck with cyber law and doing a masters, I'm sure you'll smash it :biggrin:
Ah, I haven't actually considered social science much (even though I do psychology ahah :redface:) The part that puts me off is the negative reputation of psychology/sociology studies.. but I do genuinely like psychology as a subject so you've definitely given me food for thought.
And good luck with cyber law and doing a masters, I'm sure you'll smash it :biggrin:

Thank youuuuuu but that's far away in the future but thank you :biggrin:
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

I've been researching a LOT for uni degrees and degree apprenticeships but at the moment, I've had no luck. I'm not completely sure of what I want to do for my career, but I feel as though my strengths are writing. Unfortunately, I never did english lit for a level (I regret it) so I'm ruling that out as an option for degree level since I can't do a foundation year.
There was a route that took my interest but I have little/no experience in it, and that's computer science. I'm interested in programming and AI, even though I've not had the time to try and do it because of a level work. So that makes me worry that I won't like it as much as I think I will. The other route is history; it's a subject that's quite enjoyable for me, but I wouldn't know what to do with a history degree in terms of job prospects.
(my a levels are maths, psychology and history fyi)
So to those who can somewhat relate to my situation/literally anyone with some valuable input, how did you choose the right degree for you?

theres LOTS of coding courses online so give them a try & see what you think.
Original post by TheStarboy
Here's a link for what to do with a history degree:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/history

Take a look and see what's interests you.
You mentioned that you wanted to go into writing so being a historian or going into internal development institutions/law firms could help with that interest.
Computer science is also popular and it only requires an A Level in Mathematics (which you have already)

I'm not loving a lot of the job possibilities listed for a history degree ngl, aside from being a historian as you mentioned or a journalist. It's a definite possibility though, and it seems like I could actually take my career into a writing route this way. Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by peralta99
theres LOTS of coding courses online so give them a try & see what you think.

Will do, in the summer holidays (when I'm not bombarded with a level work lmao). Do you have any particular recommendations?
Will do, in the summer holidays (when I'm not bombarded with a level work lmao). Do you have any particular recommendations?

The only one I've used is codecademy and its pretty good - ideal for complete beginners like me. I'm not from a compuuter science background though so maybe other people can be of more help?
The only one I've used is codecademy and its pretty good - ideal for complete beginners like me. I'm not from a compuuter science background though so maybe other people can be of more help?

I'll check it out, thanks :biggrin:
(also I'm loving the b99 username ahaha)
I'll check it out, thanks :biggrin:
(also I'm loving the b99 username ahaha)

haha thanks! i resorted to it after everything I could think of was taken lol
haha thanks! i resorted to it after everything I could think of was taken lol

you've got noice taste, just finished season 7 :tongue:

Cyber Discovery is a good challenge and it could get you to research more about coding to complete the challenges

Quick Reply

Latest