The Student Room Group

MSc loan by SFE

Hello,

I'm an EU national and I started an MSci - Integrated masters degree course in London in 2020 with an SFE loan. However, this month I learned that I received a 2:1 for my 3rd year and I'm not eligible to continue my last year, so instead I shall be graduating with a BSc degree from my university now.
My question is: Can I apply for an MSC program at another UK university and still obtain an SFE loan? (I have a pre-settled status in UK)
Original post by Gus111
Hello,

I'm an EU national and I started an MSci - Integrated masters degree course in London in 2020 with an SFE loan. However, this month I learned that I received a 2:1 for my 3rd year and I'm not eligible to continue my last year, so instead I shall be graduating with a BSc degree from my university now.
My question is: Can I apply for an MSC program at another UK university and still obtain an SFE loan? (I have a pre-settled status in UK)

Hi there,

Is the other course going to be for 1 year only? Also what was the reason for you not being able to complete the course was it due to your grade? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hello Jason,

Thank you for your message. The course is either 12 months full-time or 2 years part-time. I am torn between these options because the second one provides me with an opportunity to work or intern, so I can somehow support my subsistence. Yes, the single reason for not being able to complete the last year (the MSci part) is my grade of 2:1 as they require to have 1st (although as far as I know external candidates are accepted with a 2:1 grade).

I would be grateful for your input on my conundrum.

Kind regards,
Gus
Original post by Gus111
Hello Jason,

Thank you for your message. The course is either 12 months full-time or 2 years part-time. I am torn between these options because the second one provides me with an opportunity to work or intern, so I can somehow support my subsistence. Yes, the single reason for not being able to complete the last year (the MSci part) is my grade of 2:1 as they require to have 1st (although as far as I know external candidates are accepted with a 2:1 grade).

I would be grateful for your input on my conundrum.

Kind regards,
Gus

Hi Gus,

Students who have received undergraduate loan support from SFE(i.e. tuition fee loans / loans for living costs) towards any of the following PG Master's course types are ineligible for a future PG Master's Loan from SLC unless they can demonstrate Compelling Personal Reasons for having not completed the previous course:

- Pre-registration PG master’s Healthcare courses
- Initial Teacher Training (ITT) courses only the ones leading to the award of a Master’s qualification
- Master’s of Architecture courses
- Integrated Master’s courses.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending